all posts post new thread

Barbell A 5-Minute DL Session

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
A few singles and a double today, continuing to adjust to hook grip, 120 kg (265 lbs.) 74% of my 162.5 kg recent max. No clock but aiming for a new set every 45-60 seconds or so. Age 63, bw = 70 kg this morning.

All rest periods, conversations with family members, and background sounds included.

6 singles and a double, if I counted correctly, in around 4:45 or so.

Trying to keep my upper back less rounded with these lighter weights than before.

Other: I need a haircut.

-S-

Excellent work! That's the exact same weight that was making a mockery of me at the gym and here you are, picking it up and setting it down with as much control and care as if you were handling fine bone china.

+1 to @Bret S.'s suggestion to keep the mane shaggy: Do it for the 'follically challenged'. Also, a 'mountain man' beard might add a few pounds to your max.

Well probably not, but it's got to be worth a try.

@Chrisdavisjr, I had a beard for about half of my adult life, including never shaving it off from age 17 to age 34. I'm done with it - it's grayer than my hair, and while it was fun to look older than my real age when I was younger, it's a whole lot more fun now to look younger than my real age. :)

I can handle up to about 315 with a controlled negative. Then we're into 90%+ territory and the weights start to feel heavy. Deadlifts have a way of, as you add weight, getting very hard very quickly.

-S-

@Steve Freides, do you periodize your training for competitions or do you simply keep slowly chugging along moving your BW multiple up over time? Regardless, I hope I'm still pulling a BW multiple like that when I'm 63!

@Steve Freides, do you periodize your training for competitions or do you simply keep slowly chugging along moving your BW multiple up over time? Regardless, I hope I'm still pulling a BW multiple like that when I'm 63!
I am free-forming it right now. I miss deadlifting when I don't do it so I usually keep it in whatever I'm doing unless there's a reason to do otherwise.

I'm now working on getting used to hook grip, which I'd tried before but bothered my right thumb. So I started with 245 lbs and worked up to a set of 5 with hook grip, and now I'm working on some volume with 265 - I'm up to a triple. Probably will give up on 5's when it gets heavier, but for now, I'm enjoying it.

(Probably no one will understand this, but switching to a French bow grip a few years ago on double bass was something I needed to solve, and in solving that, I figured out how to make my thumb joint on my right hand work better, and now I can hook grip without pain.)

Thanks for the kind words, @Bro Mo!

-S-

A few singles and a double today, continuing to adjust to hook grip, 120 kg (265 lbs.) 74% of my 162.5 kg recent max. No clock but aiming for a new set every 45-60 seconds or so. Age 63, bw = 70 kg this morning.

All rest periods, conversations with family members, and background sounds included.

6 singles and a double, if I counted correctly, in around 4:45 or so.

Trying to keep my upper back less rounded with these lighter weights than before.

Other: I need a haircut.

-S-

Where's the love it button?!

Same as others have posted, I would LOVE to be that darn strong at your age. BTW keep the hair....let it be free and wild + it makes your DL bigger :D

@kiwipete, thanks very much!

I am stronger than that, it's just that I'm getting used to hook grip. I have done a set of 5 with that very light touch-and-go using 315 lbs and hope to work my way back up to that this way.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom