all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A+A and AGT Resources?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vegpedlr

Level 6 Valued Member
Does anybody have a simple way to navigate this? I didn’t bookmark what I should have, and searching has me hacking away with a machete.

When I first saw the terms and MAF references I was intrigued. Then I decided that it conflicted with with Maffetone and ignored it. Then I listened to the podcast with @aciampa, and I’m curious again. I would like to experiment with it, but trying to get some background is confusing. Maybe a sticky like the KB program thread? Any help?

This article was written in the very beginning stages of the research. So obviously you will find some differences in it from what is done now.

If you were to take this article and change the swing sets to 5 reps, done 3 times per week rather than 4 and on non lift days do 30 to 90 minutes of easy aerobic work you'd be in the ball park.

But if you are really interested in it shoot Al a message to get in the next go around.

From "Simple" to Serious Endurance | StrongFirst

The Be Well and Strong AA Training link Harald just posted was fascinating. So in-depth and written in a way that helps me understand the WHY behind this type of training protocol.

As an aside... if you told teenage me that one day I would enjoy reading about mitochondria and various ways ATP is used, I wouldn't have stopped laughing.

The Be Well and Strong AA Training link Harald just posted was fascinating. So in-depth and written in a way that helps me understand the WHY behind this type of training protocol.

As an aside... if you told teenage me that one day I would enjoy reading about mitochondria and various ways ATP is used, I wouldn't have stopped laughing.
That link is from Al Ciampa’s website. It’s worth spending some quality time there.

I am pretty sure this has been answered elsewhere. I was wondering how long before A+A type of training start yielding results? What would be ideal minimum duration, if the question makes sense. Thanks.

I was wondering how long before A+A type of training start yielding results? What would be ideal minimum duration, if the question makes sense. Thanks.

I think that's sort of like asking how long before meditation yeilds results.

It's just a force of positive change, and the change is ongoing. I saw measureable improvements in my pre-and post-tests after each 6-week protocol, but I always felt like the test results were a random snapshot of a much more complex landscape. I know that sounds kind of esoteric. It's just overall good for you. Essentially, A+A is just a form of hard work performed with ease, mindfulness, and consistently. As with the rest of life, this pays off in multiple ways.

Then again, I could say similar things about my current barbell training. I can measure imrprovements in my 1RMs etc., and strength is the primary measurable change. But this doesn't take into account improvements in my balance, posture, ligament strength, muscle tissue quality, mental fortitude, etc...

As @Al Ciampa advises, the best mindset for A+A is to focus on the process, not results or goals.

I am pretty sure this has been answered elsewhere. I was wondering how long before A+A type of training start yielding results? What would be ideal minimum duration, if the question makes sense. Thanks.

I think, by definition, you probably can't know...

Think about it this way - A+A is all about not "testing" yourself, just slowly accumulating the work and building mitochondria. You typically notice it when you go do something else and then realize that it was easier than you expected - that whole What-the-hell effect.

If you wanted to test often to see if you were getting better, the test itself would interfere with the spirit of A+A work.

I will say, that even being very well trained going in, I took a dedicated 6 week effort to work on one of Craig's test protocols and the results were dramatic. So you could put a data point at 6 weeks as a good time for adaptation.

@Abdul Rasheed @Anna C hit the nail on the head, that’s exactly right. The “test days” are just snapshots in time and don’t really capture the essence of the approach. It’s esoteric I know, but it’s really more a lifestyle/philosophy of training than a “commercial” product.

Thanks for all the links folks.

On the testing note, I wonder if anyone who uses the Maffetone Method and does regular MAF tests using a traditional endurance mode like running has noticed any effect. Does the “anaerobic,” by Maffetone’s definition, work interfere with aerobic development as shown by a MAF test? Does it improve it? No change?

I’m going to test it out to see, but I wonder if anyone has experience with this already. I tested Easy Strength this way and found no interference. My hypothesis is that there won’t be any significant interference with A+A.

how long before A+A type of training start yielding results?
I suppose how soon you notice results would depend on the training you were doing prior to A+A training. My advice would to just take a quarter (3 months) and work the A+A stuff nearly exclusively. Start with swings, then you could progress to C&J's or snatches after a few weeks if you felt so inclined. If you like having a clear schedule, then two 6 week protocols, with a rest week between, would take about three months. You could do also something a little more flexible, as long as you stuck to the basic principles and didn't try to get too fancy. After 3 months of immersion, pick your head up, look around, and see where you are.

As the mercury drops and outdoor activities become less and less available, now is as good a time as any to lock yourself in you basement with a kettlebell ;)

Thanks for all the links folks.

On the testing note, I wonder if anyone who uses the Maffetone Method and does regular MAF tests using a traditional endurance mode like running has noticed any effect. Does the “anaerobic,” by Maffetone’s definition, work interfere with aerobic development as shown by a MAF test? Does it improve it? No change?

I’m going to test it out to see, but I wonder if anyone has experience with this already. I tested Easy Strength this way and found no interference. My hypothesis is that there won’t be any significant interference with A+A.

MAF test still improves; perhaps at a slower rate, I honestly can't measure that.

Thinking out loud, it probably takes a ton of glycolytic work to negatively affect the MAF test to any siginificant degree (assuming you are also training MAF properly); so you probably just can't log enough without using an endurance activity. The high intensity work usually completed with loads and circuits doesn't last long enough in most cases.

Remember, MAF was originally designed to "rehab" runners who were logging tons of hours at or above AnT.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom