all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed A+A and Strength block training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DavThew

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone run alternating 2 week blocks of A+A training and strength focused work?

I am considering running this kind of thing when I am back in a position to run something more strict than my current training schedule.

I can't see many downsides and it could work as a nice all round program.

Here's my example:

Block A: Conditioning - Snatches and clean and jerks

Block B: Strength - Double Front squats, Double press, pull ups, Farmer's walk

I am sure the only way I can see if this will work well is by trying it, but was wondering if anyone was already ahead of me.

I've been adding strength work before A+A and it's been working well for me these past few weeks. Typical 60-90 min session:
  • Warm-up/movement prep (goblet squats, mobility get-ups, windmills, Cossack squats, etc. - whatever I need that day)
  • Strength (bent presses, military presses, barbell back squats, barbell deadlifts, hardstyle planks or sitbacks, push-ups -- usually 2)
  • A+A (repeats of heavy swings, snatches, C&J, etc.)
  • Finisher - sometimes (5-min continuous snatch, "Simply Sinister", 50 C&J w/ light bells, etc.)
  • Cool-down (stretching, unweighted get-ups, easy jogging or rowing)

I have been block cycling since January. I love it. I cycle PTTP and S&S. Progress is a bit slower for me on PTTP, but it could just seem longer as I am only pushing for two weeks a month. I may switch to Justa's singles routine blocked with....I have no idea( looking for suggestions). I feel like it is a great way to make progress and stick with a routine for a long time.

I think you have a solid plan. I would be interested to know how well it works for you.

I can't remember which book it is Pavel discusses this (was it PTTP, cycled with the old program minimum?). The way I see it:

Pro - hits conditioning aspect that may suffer during a pure strength program
Con - likely slower progress on both counts with bi-weekly switches

I like your initial set up. I could see S&S directly in your Block A, or as you have swings, C&J, snatches, maybe even push presses as @Pavel Macek has described instead of TGU in S&S. Following the "same, but different" approach every few weeks on your Block B (as described in easy strength) would probably have great benefit.

To be totally honest, I would alternate snatches and heavy swings unless you are specifically training for a snatch test. Otherwise, I would add in deadlifts every cycle or so in the strength block to really hit that hinge pattern.

Another thing - If you do want both aspects....if you can do a 4 day a week program, combining Geoff Neupert's "Strong" and "One" programs

Happened to be reading Naked Warrior last night, and it was in that book that Pavel mentioned doing alternating blocks. 2 weeks NW, followed by ETK program minimum. He mentioned long term it would be good to add deadlifts when doing NW, but only 2-3x a week at a 5x5.

@wespom9 I would add that you have to alternate those 2 blocks for at least couple of months - that applies basically to any block training.

Has anyone run alternating 2 week blocks of A+A training and strength focused work?

I am considering running this kind of thing when I am back in a position to run something more strict than my current training schedule.

I can't see many downsides and it could work as a nice all round program.

Here's my example:

Block A: Conditioning - Snatches and clean and jerks

Block B: Strength - Double Front squats, Double press, pull ups, Farmer's walk

I am sure the only way I can see if this will work well is by trying it, but was wondering if anyone was already ahead of me.

I'd ask what you're trying to accomplish; and then, why?

I can't remember which book it is Pavel discusses this (was it PTTP, cycled with the old program minimum?).
It's talked about in Return of the Kettlebell - the program is two-week blocks of grinds alternated with two-week blocks of ballistics. I believe it's also mentioned in something earlier but I don't recall what.

-S-

@DavThew thats a good question. I´m planning on doing something like this in the future, but I was thinking on 3 month blocks rather than 2 weeks.

I´m planning on doing something like this in the future, but I was thinking on 3 month blocks rather than 2 weeks.
I was doing 4 week blocks for almost a year and didn't like it as much as 2 week blocks. Just felt like I was spending the whole block getting back to where I just was. Now my favorite cycle for 12 weeks looks like:
  1. Strength
  2. Strength
  3. Endurance
  4. Power
  5. Strength
  6. Endurance
  7. Strength
  8. Power
  9. Endurance
  10. Strength
  11. Strength
  12. Stamina
Alternatively if I were to do 2 or more week blocks, I would probably follow the more traditional
  1. Endurance/Hypertrophy (2-8 weeks)
  2. Strength (2-6 weeks)
  3. Power/Speed (2-4 weeks)

I think there's something about two week blocks in Easy Strength as well as ROTK

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom