all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A+A Appropriate Movements

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

paules

Level 6 Valued Member
Apologies in advance if this question has been asked and answered previously.

Snatches and swings appear to be the preferred movements for A+A training. Are there any other movements that would be appropriate for this protocol? For example, would cleans and/or push presses work? Any other movements?

Thanks!

Snatches and swings appear to be the preferred movements for A+A training. Are there any other movements that would be appropriate for this protocol? For example, would cleans and/or push presses work? Any other movements?

Depends on what you mean by "work". What is your intended outcome?

A+A style training is a great way to get in a large volume of high-power and high-PCR-demand work in. You might be after the adaptations that come from that particular movement and muscle stimulation -- for example, sprints, swings, cleans, jumps.... Or you might be just using any movement or combination to stimulate energy system adaptations and systemic effects from doing repeats of alactic work with aerobic recovery periods.

In the case of the first, it's a good style of training to employ, and your most effective movement will be the one that develops the quality or skill you are after, even if it's not the optimal one for energy system development.

In the case of the second, kettlebell snatches have proven to be the best choice (IMO), but many others can work pretty well also.

... [A+A style training] is a good style of training to employ, and your most effective movement will be the one that develops the quality or skill you are after, even if it's not the optimal one for energy system development.

Well said.

@paules, one could also apply - and indeed, people have been for a long time - this, the idea of short bouts of work paired with long rest periods, for strength training. "Best" is best but can also be the enemy of "good" - if you have a goal of improving your cleans and/or push presses and want to try accomplishing that via what you're calling an A+A approach, I say "go for it." And let us know how it works out for you.

-S-

I thought that quote was regarding the Q&D protocol itself; which is not A+A.
The KB-SF (BJJ) course has LCCJ at low reps and aerobic recovery. Isn't that the very definition of A+A?
Q&D and A&A are different but my understanding is the "too slow" aspect of LCCJ would apply to both

both Q&D and A&A need to pack a lot of work into 10-15 second period

Last edited:
I like the VPP alot actually. Pushups, Swings, Snatches of course. Sprints too
The Rower or the Air Bike are really nice as well

Sprints I would use as the lower body along with an upper body, as per the Q&D protocol
Rower/Air Bike could fit in the snatch protocol. The Swing/Pushup protocol could actually be used on the Air Bike if you alternate UB/LB, so that's an extra option too.

I thought that quote was regarding the Q&D protocol itself; which is not A+A.
The KB-SF (BJJ) course has LCCJ at low reps and aerobic recovery. Isn't that the very definition of A+A?
I believe the original intent was high power. The LCCJ doesn't have the same quality in that respect. It could still be used of course, and the results may be similar. But I don't think it's the best choice for high power.

Is there a go-to article or program for the A+A protocol? I had seen it originally used swings, then went to snatches as the preferred method, but what is the actual protocol? Q&D breaks down different techniques and timing to get the desired result, and how to pick an appropriate weight, etc. Is there anything like that for A+A to help guide people is applying it appropriately?

Is there a go-to article or program for the A+A protocol? I had seen it originally used swings, then went to snatches as the preferred method, but what is the actual protocol? Q&D breaks down different techniques and timing to get the desired result, and how to pick an appropriate weight, etc. Is there anything like that for A+A to help guide people is applying it appropriately?
The above article has some details of a swing based programme.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom