all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A+A, chins and dips

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Wienerbroed

Level 4 Valued Member
I'm a 25 year old man, weighing about 73-74kg depending on the day. I have no previous history of injury more than a callus tear or worse.

I train BJJ about 3-4 times a week, and my training is both towards complementing my jiu jitsu, preventing injury and getting stronger for the sake of self improvement. My BJJ days is T/T/S and my lifting is M/W/F. I have completed simple this summer and have since then used weighted vest to do chins and dips and bulgarian split squat in a circuit fashion following Jim Wendlers Walrus challenge 3 days a week, working up to 10kg dips, 10kg chins and 10kg BSS in a sub 25 mins, taking suffient amount of rest between sets.

I've read about A+A snatches, and they seem right down my alley and a wish to add them to my regimen. My plan is something like:

How to Train for Mass With Chins and Dips | StrongFirst

But instead of doing it almost daily, cutting it down to 3 days a week. I plan on doing the chins and dips in the morning before work and then the snatches in the evening when i get home, and then my usual mobility routine, and during the volume accumulation period simply lower the weight by 50-60% and do 5x5.

My main worry is that since the volume and progression is thought out to be around 5 days a week as I've understood its not suffiecent if spread thin as I plan to do.

Is my plan strong, or do I need to reconsider this or try something else?

You should be fine. I train in BJJ as well and my A&A work compliments my BJJ very well. The dips and chins should not effect either the snatch or BJJ, maybe grip wise but that’s about it.

Have you reached simple yet in S&S? As a 11 year grappler I can tell you nothing has been as effective as getting strong there first.

I wouldn’t worry about undercooking it with that plan. Please let us know how it goes

My main worry is that since the volume and progression is thought out to be around 5 days a week as I've understood its not sufficient if spread thin as I plan to do.
I agree with your assessment. The article you linked references the Fighter Pullup Program, and that's an intense program, designed for a short block of time, and featuring, IMHO, a lot of both volume and intensity.

Maybe it works spread out further - is that what you're going to do? - and maybe it doesn't.

-S-

Dan John says that the 3RM Fighter's Pullup Program is his standard pullup program - spread 3x per week.

The article is a worthwhile read: http://danjohn.net/2017/06/pull-ups/

Dan John said:
I recommend these about three days a week, so this would be a one month approach. If you improve, add more load and repeat the program again.

Oh, and welcome to StrongFirst! I assume you are from Denmark? Min tyske familie elsker wienerbroed!

That article is an interesting read. I tend to train pull ups until I develop elbow problems and then lay off until I recover. What do people think about his recommendation to go heavier at lower reps to avoid elbow problems?
This is exactly how I did pull-ups with the same results.
Switching to low rep weighted did wonders. (As did using rings, and doing wrist Pronators)

Rings allow the elbows and shoulders to 'track' more naturally. Typically I start in a regular overhand grip and naturally rotate into a neutral grip by the top position.
For what it's worth I use Rock Rings as opposed to gymnastics rings, but the movement and principles are the same.

Dan John says that the 3RM Fighter's Pullup Program is his standard pullup program - spread 3x per week.

The article is a worthwhile read: http://danjohn.net/2017/06/pull-ups/

Oh, and welcome to StrongFirst! I assume you are from Denmark? Min tyske familie elsker wienerbroed!

Thank you very much! it was a good read, I feel much more confident in executing my plan. Seeing that someone else, and someone that's and authority on training as Dan John, consider the 3 day a week version viable calms my nerves a bit.

Thanks, I feel very welcome! I'm from sweden, but I love danish pastries!

I had already done this for almost a week before starting, so I have been doing this for about a month. I had great results, but Being some what strong before i excpect some of this is to be partly adaptiona to the exercises.

Before starting my 3RM with dips was 13kg, today i tid 5 reps With 20kg. And my Chins was about 13kg added x5, today i did 20x3. When i started doing A+A snatches i did 20 repeats in 30mins With a 24kg, today i did 20 repeats With band pull apart between sets With the 28kg in 30min. Trust the process!

I would like to add get ups do this With the 32kg, would 3 reps per hand as a warmup work without interfering With my A+A training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom