all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed A+A / EMOM with changing exercises

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Training for Life

Level 6 Valued Member
How do you see the A+A / EMOM -style training working with changing exercises as the session progresses? For example how would something like this work:

Minutes 1-15: Power push-up(s) on the :00, sprint(s) on the :30
Minutes 16-30: Burpee(s) on the :00 and :30
Minutes 31-45: Pull-up(s) on the :00, squat(s) on the :30

Has anyone tried something like the above?

As there hasn't been an A+A FAQ newsletter yet, some thoughts and questions about this style of training are starting to pile up in the grey matter between my ears. This particular one has had me staying up at night, so I must ask.

Last edited:
I’ll be interested to hear what others think, but based on my limited understanding I don’t see why this couldn’t work. I can’t remember who it was, but it seems to me someone was interleaving exercises, e.g. snatch left on minute one, snatch right on minute two, med ball slams on minute three, repeat. A+A is more dependent on the way the energy systems are depleted and refilled than the exercises if I’m understanding it right, so this might be a good way to extend the session, stave off boredom, or just include more exercises that you feel are important for whatever reason.

I wouldn't consider that template above A+A... there isn't enough rest time between movements and your power would significantly decrease throughout the session

Also pull-ups and squats are not good movements for A+A because they're grinds in nature (sure you can kipping pull-up etc)

A+A are high powered ballistic movements (or sprints) done for around 10-15 sec (5ish reps) with long periods of rest... (usually a 1:5 work rest ratio)

You could definitely switch up movements such as doing
Min 1 x5 2H swing
Min 2 x5 snatch right
Min 3 x5 snatch left
Repeat that sequence until you fail the talk test

I wouldn't consider that template above A+A... there isn't enough rest time between movements and your power would significantly decrease throughout the session

Also pull-ups and squats are not good movements for A+A because they're grinds in nature (sure you can kipping pull-up etc)

A+A are high powered ballistic movements (or sprints) done for around 10-15 sec (5ish reps) with long periods of rest... (usually a 1:5 work rest ratio)

You could definitely switch up movements such as doing
Min 1 x5 2H swing
Min 2 x5 snatch right
Min 3 x5 snatch left
Repeat that sequence until you fail the talk test
In the SF newsletter from not too long ago there was an example A+A program that had a squat performed every 15 seconds. In addition, one of the recent newsletters or articles discussing exercise selection also lists the possibility of using grinds in the A+A training. However, IIRC there was something about doing the power exercises before grinds if done in the same session. Or then maybe I am mixing up the terminology here.

In the SF newsletter from not too long ago there was an example A+A program that had a squat performed every 15 seconds. In addition, one of the recent newsletters or articles discussing exercise selection also lists the possibility of using grinds in the A+A training. However, IIRC there was something about doing the power exercises before grinds if done in the same session. Or then maybe I am mixing up the terminology here.
I'm thinking power, strength, smokers, so would do the burpees last. Gnarly split you have there.

I'm thinking power, strength, smokers, so would do the burpees last. Gnarly split you have there.
Thanks for the tip. It’s not something I would exactly do per se, but I like the simplicity and somewhat meditativeness of the A+A concept, and would like to do most of my training using that. However, I am worthless at following a written program or repeating one or two exercise(s) day in and day out. Based on the comments, the principles of the A+A training style enable lots of variety as well, which sounds like an excellent fit for me personally. I am stoked!

I wouldn't be afraid of programming this way as long as the work/rest balance is not pushing out of ATP CP range into glycolysis.

I'd happily spend 15 minutes snatching, 15 minutes long cycle, and 15 minutes swinging, as long as the loading was appropriate.

Benchmarks for Alactic training:
Nasal breathing only
talk test
heart rate <85% Max

As long as my benchmarks for recovery are there. Then I'd play it out.

Last edited:
Minutes 1-15: Power push-up(s) on the :00, sprint(s) on the :30
Minutes 16-30: Burpee(s) on the :00 and :30
Minutes 31-45: Pull-up(s) on the :00, squat(s) on the :30
I have my own template of variation. my difference is that I allocate more time to rest on most training sessions...my very tough days is similar, although I'm not yet strong enough for EMOM for 45 minutes. I try a very tough day every 2or3 weeks.

my differences are:
1. I do very low reps if its every every 30s. or I do my max reps (8-12) if I wait 90s or 120s (very easy days).
2. I leave a LOT of time for recovery in between the variations. e.g. 3-5 minutes after Pushups, then again after burpees.

I did something similar yesterday as I was pushed for time. I combined my KB-SF Light swing day with my Victorious II light bell press ladder.
00:00 2H swing then press, e.g. 3 reps left
01:00 2H swing then press, e.g. 3 reps right
02:00 2H swing
03:00 2H swing then press, e.g. 5 reps left
and so on for 20 minutes.
My aerobic system had to work harder to recover and I was systemucally more tired than if I'd done separately. But locally I was probably the same.

I'm sure your plan will work you well. The only problem I see is that it could be spreading the work (/fatigue) around too much.

If it were me I'd focus on doing one main power move (e.g. burpees or sprints) EMOTM for the full duration and fit in the strength (e.g. squats and pullups) in between.

Hi,
Every 30 seconds seems to glycolytic. You'll lose power and get the burn. It will work only if you have an very big aerobic base.

Recently I train like that:
Min 1-5: 5 swings
Min : 6-10: 5 power dips/pushups
Min : 11-15: 5 goblet squat (explosive)
Min 16-20: 5 press

Repeat.

Or:
Min 1: 5 swings
Min 2: 5 power dips/pushups
Min 3: 5 globlet squat (explosive)
Min 4: 5 press
Min : 5 rest

Repeat.

This thread got me thinking about something I used to do on ROP variety days. According to my old training logs, I got this from Beyond Bodybuilding, and the idea was to do a set of one drill, take a short rest, then do a different drill. Some drills are repeated, but not back to back. Thinking back, this sounds kind of like an early form of A+A.

Here’s a sample session from my log. July 22 of 2008.

-Push press 32kg 3x4
-One arm swing 32kg 3x5
-Pistol 5x1
-Pull-up 5x5
-TGU 24kg 5x1
-DL 285x5, 255x5
-Wrist roller 2x2 trips
-Band assisted Janda 3x5
-2 hand plate pinch DL 65 3x5

Used a 1:30 countdown timer throughout and got everything done in less than 48 minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom