all posts post new thread

All Terrain Conditioning A+A for long distance trail running?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Why have Swings fallen out of favor for A+A protocols? They seem to work rather well, as you attest and at least one Go-Ruck competitor has stated similar results.
Many people that have spent a lot of time with A+A training and moved on from swings to snatches felt that snatches are a more potent tool, and can offer more full-body benefits. Others feel similarly about kettlebell C&J.

I feel like swings are a more blunt tool, where snatches can be more of a precision tool for A+A type training (or any other targeted energy systems training; glycolytic, aerobic, alactic, or A+A). Depending on how one uses the tool, better results could be obtained from either one.

Many people that have spent a lot of time with A+A training and moved on from swings to snatches felt that snatches are a more potent tool, and can offer more full-body benefits. Others feel similarly about kettlebell C&J.

I feel like swings are a more blunt tool, where snatches can be more of a precision tool for A+A type training (or any other targeted energy systems training; glycolytic, aerobic, alactic, or A+A). Depending on how one uses the tool, better results could be obtained from either one.
Thank you for the explanation. I happen to appreciate the merits of all four major kettlebell ballistic moves, but being a scientific sort of guy knowing the rationale for picking one over another for different purposes is always cool to know.

On Tuesday mornings I do a 15-20 minute warm-up and then do hill sprints on a lake dam. Its at a very steep grade, but only takes me about 12-15 seconds to reach the top. I sprint up, jog down and let my heartrate recover. I go on every 2 minutes, and if my heart rate doesn't drop below 130 within 2 minutes , I call it a day. This morning I did 8, and ran out of time before going to work. Tonight I will do a 30-45 C&J session. I sometimes do snatches for this session. I do not use swings because my form is not good, and I just do not feel that I get the benefit from them that I do from other exercises. That probably says more about me , then swings.

On Thursday I will do A+A split jump squats, or jump squats, or weighted step ups, plus some type of upper body/core work at the end. I normally crawl and do light TGUs to warm up. Crawling seems to keep my body working. Sunday is for long runs, and I am trying to get 300' elevation per mile. I live in a vertically challenged state, so I have to add hill repeats to get this. This weeks long run will be about 17-18 miles, and my total mileage for the week will be about 40-42. Long runs on Sunday give me a every-other day hard day schedule. I increase mileage and intensity slowly, and one week a month I cut everything by half.

My mileage will peak at about 50-55 miles, and a 50k, at about 6 weeks from my goal race. In the winter time I strength train more, and run less. That's my training in a nut shell. I have been doing something similar for a few years, and it seems to work for me. I am a middle of the pack guy, who can still go to work the next day.

In case anyone wonders how a very average guy can train, work and also be in shape to do something awesome occasionally.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom