all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A+A+Glycolysis

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Adachi - I didn't want to put the full screenshot from Q&D here, but did have a question regarding what I saw in it: He also said "Just do yourself a favor and stay away from "Tabatas" and other pop-HIIT. Why? We will discuss that another time." Did that ever get discussed? If yes, could you direct me to that?

All the good advice about doing A+A for my core workouts instead of the more crossfitty stuff is solid and if I never get an answer to the above question, that should be fine. But somewhere in the details of that answer, something might explain how a weekly or twice-a-week martial arts session is not HIIT. Or is there just no getting away from the fact that it is a HIIT session and despite Pavel saying to stay away from them, if that is what I enjoy and that is my sport then as long as that isn't the entirety of my training, then that is probably ok too?

@Mark Limbaga - "more seasoned"! LOL. Last night at my JKD class, I was unfortunately paired with a 15yr old white belt (I'm a purple belt), while I was very patiently helping her - as higher belts should - the coach noticed I was not getting as much out of class as I could and suggested that since I was more seasoned, I should go workout with the more seasoned group on the other side of the mat. My reaction made for a decent moment of fun that you just reminded me of - thx for bringing up my seasoning. :)

Having done this for quite a while, power generation is not an issue and your advice to not turn up the power initially is right in line with what I've been thinking. I love the loud/hard crack of a glove or shin on a pad when I have a competent feeder, but focusing on technique more and power less should help keep HR in check on average. good advice, thx.
I'm guessing the young lady that was partnered with you was still fairly new since from my experience if you get partnered up with a 2 stripe and up white belt, you can work with them to pressure you on moves you wanna improve on (i.e. start where they are half way deep into a submission or have a loose guard to see if they can pass etc)

Keep in mind that exposure creates the cure. If you deliberately challenge yourself very infrequently you have a reduced antioxidant capacity. The more often you train this way the more robust your response. The upper end of this capacity is almost beyond belief. A moderate but consistent approach is healthier than infrequent spikes dep on your POV.

Another thing to consider with more HIIT based intervals is that a lot of the lactate produced isn’t being metabolized into ROS since the muscle is mostly using ATP for type II fibers. Much of the resulting lactate does get consumed around the body but a lot gets converted back to glycogen via the Cori Cycle. This type of training being more for aerobic than strength.
Just want to say, one contrarian to another: I always appreciate your input, and keep it up

In this way, I don't estimate that your Muay Thai training is actually like HIIT and Tabata's - all the time. I would bet the densities and lengths of strength endurance doses are actually designed around getting you better in the ring.
I appreciate the detail, if it was just straight rounds for an hour that would be a very high work/rest ratio (6:1), much like "the silliest CrossFit box WODs". But usually, in a classroom environment, there's some downtime while switching gear and watching coach demo something, etc. Below are my most recent martial arts HR reports. In order of least to most recent and likely not by coincidence, least to most difficult:

1. Kali/Escrima - class was fun (love them sticks) but not much of a workout, even less than the Silat one (so no screenshot of the Kali workout).
2. Silat class - not my favorite style, won't be doing it again, but HR report below as a baseline for what felt pretty easy to me.
3. JKD - workout felt good, but they can be quite variable, depending on the coach and techniques worked. A few decent HR spikes and what seems like a nice distribution across HR zones with plenty of recovery time.
4. Muay Thai - a tough workout, a couple rounds of light sparring near the end. Some tall spikes, with dips into recovery. Not sure if the dips are low enough or sustained enough, but I felt pretty decent right up until a 3-minute burnout round at the end. A fair amount of time in the Max zone balanced by an equal amount of time in the Aerobic zone and the majority of time spent in Threshold. Not bad I suppose.

Based on the great advice in this thread, I think I'll keep doing the JKD and Muay Thai and see how recovery and progress goes. THX all.

Silat.pngJKD.pngMT_HR.png

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom