all posts post new thread

Bodyweight A+A push ups only

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

njrick1

Level 5 Valued Member
Just curious to hear people's thoughts on if A+A work (let's say in the style of simple to serious endurance for example) in any style could be done with pushups only.
My knees have been a little achy from swings lately and I was considering taking a week or two off of swings.

Thanks!

Sure, why not? I've done A&A work with thai kicks on a banana bag before for a great session. 5 EMOM for 20 minutes, that's some work! And it's nice to change things up!

Awesome! I'm curious to see if anyone else has done A+A style training with less typical exercises...

Also if one was to do pushups only, I would think5 reps on the minute instead of 10 would allow for more power but I think it would depend on the individual, I would love to hear the thoughts of others.

Other thoughts that come to mind are boxing drills and dead bugs. I know swings and snatches are how the concept is designed, but this thread raises some interesting questions about the A+A concept. It seems heavy, fast, full body moves are best, but of course I'm new to this concept.

You can also sprint in place for ~10 seconds, as it does not have the inertia that limits normal sprints' power production to 5-8 seconds.

As already noted, boxing and kicking drills done for reps are also great.

I imagine resistance band works with A+A stuff. Lunges, deadlifts, good mornings, rows etc.

I don’t have any bells in isolation right now but I do have a number of bands so might experiment and give updates in a few days or weeks.

Awesome! I'm curious to see if anyone else has done A+A style training with less typical exercises...

Also if one was to do pushups only, I would think5 reps on the minute instead of 10 would allow for more power but I think it would depend on the individual, I would love to hear the thoughts of others.

I would have thought 3-5 plyometric push ups EMOM would hit the mark nicely - not sure about volume beyond 10min though...but who knows?

I would have thought 3-5 plyometric push ups EMOM would hit the mark nicely - not sure about volume beyond 10min though...but who knows?

I'm playing around with it...I starting with the simple to serious endurance article times and quickly readjusted. I halved the times and two weeks in am feeling good with 5 reps on the minute. 16 minutes for today's session! I will keep you posted!

Last edited:
I'm playing around with it...I starting with the simple to serious endurance article times and quickly readjusted. I halved the times and two weeks in am feeling good with 5 reps on the minute. 16 minutes for today's session! I will keep you posted!
please do!

A+A resistance band deadlifts and push ups are a good combo I’ve been finding.

There is a small difference in how I’ve been doing the deadlifts compared to how I see most people doing them. I see people stand on the band and pull the loops on the outsides of their feet (like a hex bar DL). I stand on the loops and pull both sides of the band. This way the band isn’t pulling my feet inwards but straight up through my foot. If that makes sense?

A+A resistance band deadlifts and push ups are a good combo I’ve been finding.

There is a small difference in how I’ve been doing the deadlifts compared to how I see most people doing them. I see people stand on the band and pull the loops on the outsides of their feet (like a hex bar DL). I stand on the loops and pull both sides of the band. This way the band isn’t pulling my feet inwards but straight up through my foot. If that makes sense?

Great idea! Do you perform the deadlifts with maximum power? It seems like that would require a lot of strength!

Great idea! Do you perform the deadlifts with maximum power? It seems like that would require a lot of strength!

I try do it as similar as I would a barbell deadlift. A slower eccentric feels good to me when doing pulls with bands though.

please do!

Currently I have two weeks left in the five week cycle of A+A push ups, easy strength pull ups and original strength work.

I feel great! I definetly feel that I am getting plenty of strength and conditioning and have no pain I'm the shoulder or elbows, despite the fact that my knee still is not 100 percent, which likley means no powerful hinge or squat work for another cycle.

I am considering peppering in pullups next cycle. Maybe 1-2 explosive reps on the minute. Possibly as a stand a lone A+A day, possibly during the same A+A pushup day, maybe as it's own cycle. I'm not sure but I will report back!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom