all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A+A what a hell effect?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The point I want to make is the following: the hook grip works till it does not. For lighter - medium bells with moderate acceleration.

When I snatch heavier and/or high acceleration I grip the bell deeply and hard. I never lost a bell. Hurting hands are not an aim or accomplishment but just a matter of fact from time to time. It is not 'all technique' but simply friction.

Harald are you do Also push ups?
Some tíme Ago 3-4years I hear about program from Al Ciampa Lumberjack in which Has (push ups,snatches and walk/run/hiking)
Thanks

Best
Pat

Harald are you do Also push ups?
Some tíme Ago 3-4years I hear about program from Al Ciampa Lumberjack in which Has (push ups,snatches and walk/run/hiking)
Thanks

Best
Pat
Yes I do some pushups within a pull/push strength template e.g. hexbar deadlift and pushup, or 033 template ... Also I use dips, full range hspu, one arm pu, overhead press with a bar or kettlebell, whatever I feel like.

When I do A+A snatches I personally do snatches only.

Yes I do some pushups within a pull/push strength template e.g. hexbar deadlift and pushup, or 033 template ... Also I use dips, full range hspu, one arm pu, overhead press with a bar or kettlebell, whatever I feel like.

When I do A+A snatches I personally do snatches only.

Hmm I am understand my personal experience is when I do A+A with 36 or 40kilos bell I beat my hands after about 25-30repeats them I do rather Clean and Jerk or so for another 10repeats.

Iam think that 40 kilos bell is for my Bodyweight and bodytype just right weight 175cm and 82kg what you think ?

And last question are here someone who combine A+A with Rucking/hiking rather than Running ?
Iam run just Once maybe two times week and two times a week I do Rucking.
Like gait/walk

Thanks
Best

Pat

Hi everybody about are here someone who do A+A with Rucking?besides Running ?

@Patrik Novák
yes, I do/did (currently back on S&S but I did A+A snatches quite a while)
I am one of the few who really enjoys rucking (my brain works at rucking speed not running speed) and a few years of Ironman training had me run enough for the rest of my life.

It works very well for my own personal circumstances, but for you what is your goal?

Hi everybody are here someone who do A+A with Rucking?besides Running ? For longer time?
I don't ruck anymore however, I do a ton of walking. My knees aren't fans of a weighted pack on my back.

Hmm Yeah its interested but when we consider that
@Patrik Novák
yes, I do/did (currently back on S&S but I did A+A snatches quite a while)
I am one of the few who really enjoys rucking (my brain works at rucking speed not running speed) and a few years of Ironman training had me run enough for the rest of my life.

It works very well for my own personal circumstances, but for you what is your goal?

Yeah Thats interested...
My goal is for years same GPP for life for Service and overall health mentaly and physically.For years I do S&S and Thats was only one training protocol in my life when I can next day after session do my job without any problem or soreness and now Iam deep in A+A for about two years

Hi everybody are here someone who do A+A with Rucking?besides Running ? For longer time?

Hmm Yeah its interested but when we consider that

Yeah Thats interested...
My goal is for years same GPP for life for Service and overall health mentaly and physically.For years I do S&S and Thats was only one training protocol in my life when I can next day after session do my job without any problem or soreness and now Iam deep in A+A for about two years
Rucking works very well for GPP! As does a mix of rucking and slow running

I train S&S at beginner level and do some sort of daily rucking: I carry my daughter (weighing about 12 kg) in a carrier for 15-45 minutes at a time, 1-3x per day. Pace is rather slow.

I think this helps with posture and general easy endurance. So far I cannot tell what kind of adaptations this brings. When summer comes I will see if it helps with long walks and hiking. But the daily carrying feels really easy. Other parents frequently complain about it being too strenuous. And I remember that my back got tight in the beginning when she was only weighing 4 kg!

Just to strengthen the point about the elbows:
I have a history of a golfer elbows (legacy of my youth's idiotic mistakes), and comes and goes sporadically, recently my left elbow decided to "show up". Nevertheless, I didn't stop my snatches (lately I hit close to 500 a week), and not only pain didn't affect snatch performance, I also do feel my joints getting stronger. Is it another WTH effect or just a coincidence - I don't know, let it it be another small coin to the piggy bank of A+A snatches stats.

Just to strengthen the point about the elbows:
I have a history of a golfer elbows (legacy of my youth's idiotic mistakes), and comes and goes sporadically, recently my left elbow decided to "show up". Nevertheless, I didn't stop my snatches (lately I hit close to 500 a week), and not only pain didn't affect snatch performance, I also do feel my joints getting stronger. Is it another WTH effect or just a coincidence - I don't know, let it it be another small coin to the piggy bank of A+A snatches stats.
I think I've heard trainers intimate that these swinging implements ,like kettlebells and clubs , may have a therapeutic effect on joints by stimulating the muscles that support them by pulling them apart a little. Maybe that's why hanging helps me feel better

Just a few weeks into the way of A&A snatching, WTH effects so far:

- how good snatches make the shoulders feel (and look)
- improved posture, especially noticeable when easy jogging
- more positive mental state (in spite of these interesting times)

The head, both literally and figuratively, in a better place

I have observed another interesting fact.
I am struggling with 24 to 32 transition. Doing overhead pushes I started filling a bit of pain in the shoulders. Even with a 24 bells.
And now surprise. Struggling with the weight my shoulders feel better with snatches than with presses.
I was sure it is going to be opposite.
Not sure why. Anyone has similar experience?

Absolutely similar experience. Makes sense to me also, shoulder spends less time under direct eccentric and concentric load in snatch, than in press or push-press.

I think I've heard trainers intimate that these swinging implements ,like kettlebells and clubs , may have a therapeutic effect on joints by stimulating the muscles that support them by pulling them apart a little. Maybe that's why hanging helps me feel better

Between sets of challenging TGUs, I've noticed how much my shoulders like passive and active hangs - something they don't need after an A+A session of swings and snatches

Absolutely similar experience. Makes sense to me also, shoulder spends less time under direct eccentric and concentric load in snatch, than in press or push-press.

That, and I think the fact that one has to engage all the musculature on the back side of the shoulder to do a snatch helps protect it.

A new WTHE I just came across: I took a few weeks off over a mild abdominal strain and only did heavy hands walks daily. Before this, I had just finished doing my first 12 week stint of QnD with snatches, plus one or two rucks per week.

During the QnD phase I only drank black coffee before my workouts, and after until I felt the need to eat. I could easily go into the mid-afternoon without getting bonky. But, after a couple of weeks of the walking only, I would get bonky by late morning, and again before dinner.

Now that I am back to snatching and rucking (A+A for 6 weeks), I find that I can again go for extended periods without eating, and while I might get hungry, I don't bonk. Interesting.

this one will have a little bit of a personal tone:
for me the WTHE is mainly the psychological one. I never did such long sessions of one ballistic exercise. 30+ repeats, no music, no distractions, no clock just a white wall to stare at. I have no idea when the session is going to end, I lose track of time and visit remote places with my thought. Longer rest periods give you impression you can do it indefinitely. The moment I hear the bell signalling the end, I only have one thought: "I can endure everything

I never believed in a carry-over from sport to life. E.g. "if you gonna push it harder on this round, you'll find it easier to push in other areas of your life". Never found it working for me.
What is more, I'm not the most stress-resilient person. I'm easily swept by small setbacks.
Now, when doing A+A snatches I feel I can out-existentialize my bell. I finally found a training modality good for my personality; I'm not a person that achieves goals by pushing harder, but by hitting with the head against a brick wall, until the wall breaks. Discipline and perseverance trumps inborn talents, intelligence, everything else.
Especially in the current situation I find A+A helpful. As a teacher, I'm forced to give classes online. Before A+A it was extremely taxing. I'm writing this post after giving classes for 5 hours straight and preparing for them for some more hours. A few weeks ago I would lose my composure and it would break me. Now I think: "I can endure everything". That's my lesson from A+A.

A big thak you to SF community for the concept of A+A!

@Pasibrzuch, some great words here. What I find amazing in A+A, is that there's little to none setbacks. "Pick a lift or two, find your workhorse weight and pile on work". And I agree that WTHE is somewhat psychological, "Your muscles are already capable of lifting a car. They just don't know it yet".

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom