all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A + A with swings and push-ups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dayz

Level 8 Valued Member
I believe there are A + A plans that use swings and push-ups, like Q & D does. But where/how would I access/buy them?

Anyone have experience running these? What were your results?

Also, re Plan 015 from Q & D, how is that not an A + A plan in and of itself? Not wanting to give the program away here, but the rest periods make me think it would be more oriented to A + A.

Thanks in advance!

A+a could be played by ear pretty much. Do 10 swings, rest until heart rate gets down, do 5-6 explosive push ups. Start from 10 mins and build up to 40mins.
Firs week do 12mins, 10mins, 14mins.
Next week 14,12,16...
Third week 16,14,18. Etc...
Time to time keep one easier week.
You can use also bands with push ups.

Should work.

Also, re Plan 015 from Q & D, how is that not an A + A plan in and of itself?

015 probably a little too glycolytic to be classed as A+A, which typically involves fewer reps but a higher number of sets.

@Anna C gives some idea of how one may go about implementing A+A swings and push-ups here:

I agree with @DuncanGB in that it's about the reps and rest i.e. the recovery between sets.

I recently built up to the full 100 swings and 100 pushups workout of 015. I had to use a 2:00 minute rest instead of the 1:30 to build up from 70 reps to 100 reps in a short amount of time because it was difficult to recover between the sets for me. I felt the benefit yesterday of the conditioning when hiking up hills.

Instead of the 015 workout, I am now alternating 5 swings with 5 pushups every 1:00 minute twice per week. Lowering the reps from 10 to 5 allows me to shorten the rest but recover more completely between the sets and before the next workout.

I believe that is the basic workout method of A&A (the recovery between sets) and will allow me to maintain much of the benefits of the 015 swings and pushups conditioning while adding a KB strength complex workout and a ruck or two during the week.

Perfect! Thank you everyone that is really helpful.

I just need to work out the reps for each movement now. I've heard 7 for 2H swings and 5 for push-ups is appropriate based on the time it takes?

I just need to work out the reps for each movement now. I've heard 7 for 2H swings and 5 for push-ups is appropriate based on the time it takes?

Aim for 10-12 second bursts of intense work which for me is:
2H swing - 8 reps with overspeed eccentric
1H swing - 6/7 reps
push-up - 7 reps
snatch - 5 reps

"The key is repeated bursts of short intense work with lots of rest consistently practiced over weeks or months.

Let’s break that down…

...bursts of short intense work... - 10 seconds of heavy swings, fast viking push presses, even a few steps of a heavy sled push. We’re getting the most out of the energy we have stored for immediate use.

...lots of rest... - we like to have 4:1 or more rest:work. That gives us enough time to regenerate the ATP so that we can go fast again. The beta-oxidation is refilling our batteries, and that takes time.

...repeated bursts... - we do this for 15 to 30 minutes, sometimes up to an hour. If we do it long enough, we don’t quite recover fully between sets. That means we will need to very lightly tap into glycolysis. We’re training that pathway without over-doing it and causing damages.

...practiced over weeks or months - If you keep coming back, day after day doing these style of workouts. It will tell your body that you need to have more efficient beta-oxidation to fill up your batteries quicker. Since any one mitochondrion cannot supply too much energy at once, your body builds even more mitochondria. You can burn more fat to make more ATP, you’ll have a lot of slow reactions happening in parallel. You’ll get a high power output without stressing your body. Building more mitochondria will let you effortlessly generate ATP quickly - improving your power output."

I believe there are A + A plans that use swings and push-ups, like Q & D does. But where/how would I access/buy them?

Al Ciampa has a web site and access to the forums and his programs if you join. www.bewellandstrong.com

As for Strong Endurance protocols (A+A is one type of many), you have to attend the Strong Endurance event. There is one with virtual access coming up Nov 7-8.

Or you can hire a coach who has attended, and they can program for you.

But as others have said there are lots of ways to implement AGT type training, and lots of knowledge available here on the forum. You can experiment and find out what works for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom