all posts post new thread

Barbell A Barbell Squat Challenge for 2022 (315lb x As Many Reps As Proper)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Trying to get in on the action but having a tough time here (sandbag conversion). Does this make sense?
Per leg loading:
Total external load+BW÷2=single leg load.

For me at 200lbs with a 315barbell = 257.5lbs per leg

Single leg squat = total BW+external load, for me about a 60-70lb bag will equal the same per leg loading.

Mechanics dictate somewhat different peak muscle activation but very close (more in some, less in others).

Any thoughts? Looking at the numbers from the research it looks like about 1.25 lbs single leg to 1lb bilateral for most movements. 58 x 1.25 = 73, a roughly 75 lb bag equivalent?

Last edited:
Trying to get in on the action but having a tough time here (sandbag conversion). Does this make sense?
Per leg loading:
Total external load+BW÷2=single leg load.

For me at 200lbs with a 315barbell = 257.5lbs per leg

Single leg squat = total BW+external load, for me about a 60-70lb bag will equal the same per leg loading.

Mechanics dictate somewhat different peak muscle activation but very close (more in some, less in others).

Any thoughts? Looking at the numbers from the research it looks like about 1.25 lbs single leg to 1lb bilateral for most movements. 58 x 1.25 = 73, a roughly 75 lb bag equivalent?

In my experience it's not a simple equation. It's been a while since I really did unilateral squats but I'll try to give it a shot and give a relatively meaningful answer from my end afterwards.

In my experience it's not a simple equation. It's been a while since I really did unilateral squats but I'll try to give it a shot and give a relatively meaningful answer from my end afterwards.
Been so long since I've done barbell I don't have even an RPE comparison. It seems a bit light though. If I assume I'm somewhere near a 400lb backsquat for a couple reps that only equals a 100lb bag, which I can hit for about 20 AMRAP. A true working equivalent is probably 150lb bag, so maybe 1:1.5. That 58 becomes around 90lb.

Been so long since I've done barbell I don't have even an RPE comparison. It seems a bit light though. If I assume I'm somewhere near a 400lb backsquat for a couple reps that only equals a 100lb bag, which I can hit for about 20 AMRAP. A true working equivalent is probably 150lb bag, so maybe 1:1.5. That 58 becomes around 90lb.

If my memory isn't too far off I think I did RFE/Bulgarian split squats in a Smith machine where I could use about 50% of the load for similar sets of back squats.

But it all depends a lot on how you do your unilateral squats.

I have a sandbag but it's under a pile of snow. I'll try to do some squats with it when I get the chance, though I bought too big (100kg) a bag for a first one and haven't really used it so it may take a while with it all. But we have the whole year, don't we?

Today I hit 314x4, 367.5x2. I was supposed to hit 4 reps on the last set. 1st rep was easy. After the 2nd rep, I was mentally weak. I felt weak and had lots of negative thoughts, thoughts of failure. So I just racked the weight, I didnt want to risk failing.

This hasnt happened to me in a long time. I need to get my head in the game.

Eric

Today I hit 314x4, 367.5x2. I was supposed to hit 4 reps on the last set. 1st rep was easy. After the 2nd rep, I was mentally weak. I felt weak and had lots of negative thoughts, thoughts of failure. So I just racked the weight, I didnt want to risk failing.

This hasnt happened to me in a long time. I need to get my head in the game.

Eric
The new rack has really relieved a lot of worries about having to bail on a lift for me. I'm trying to be patient and not get needy about reps - easier to say than do. Taking my time on the warm-ups on heavy days, using atomic balm on the low back, no compunctions about using a belt (and maybe wraps or even briefs/suit bottoms in the future, we'll see) - just trying to stay/be healthy about it. No hurries my man!

The new rack has really relieved a lot of worries about having to bail on a lift for me. I'm trying to be patient and not get needy about reps - easier to say than do. Taking my time on the warm-ups on heavy days, using atomic balm on the low back, no compunctions about using a belt (and maybe wraps or even briefs/suit bottoms in the future, we'll see) - just trying to stay/be healthy about it. No hurries my man!
Glad to hear about the new rack. I saw it in your video. Looks good.

I'm weak in the hole and I haven't had to strain/grind in a long time (and mentally weak). After a couple reps, with a heavy weight, I lose my bounce and need to grind it out. I think I may need to incorporate some back off pause squats into my routine. I'm going to deload next week and think about how I want to proceed.

Glad to hear about the new rack. I saw it in your video. Looks good.

I'm weak in the hole and I haven't had to strain/grind in a long time (and mentally weak). After a couple reps, with a heavy weight, I lose my bounce and need to grind it out. I think I may need to incorporate some back off pause squats into my routine. I'm going to deload next week and think about how I want to proceed.
I think making the pause squat your main focus for a training cycle would be ideal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom