all posts post new thread

Barbell A Barbell Squat Challenge for 2022 (315lb x As Many Reps As Proper)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yeah, props to @william bad butt for the 400 lb single!

I haven't done a heavy single in ages because my bar velocity just goes into the toilet if it's real 1 RM.

If PUSH tells me I'm moving at half speed (which happens above about 5@160-165 kg), I just dump it backwards.
Ha

You gave me props for doing 1 rep at 82% of my max in the 2019 meet. I was being lazy. Not even at my last warm-up weight yet, 85%. But 1st time I lifted 400+ lb in a normal while. I've lost track, maybe years.

Ha

You gave me props for doing 1 rep at 82% of my max in the 2019 meet. I was being lazy. Not even at my last warm-up weight yet, 85%. But 1st time I lifted 400+ lb in a normal while. I've lost track, maybe years.

Post 50, I've learned not to compare my present PRs to my lifetime PRs. ;)

My current jerk is only 81% of what it was doing at meets in my mid 40s. :(

But it's more than it was a year ago!

Post 50, I've learned not to compare my present PRs to my lifetime PRs. ;)

My current jerk is only 81% of what it was doing at meets in my mid 40s. :(

But it's more than it was a year ago!
I'm still going up, I hope. But I will admit my knees felt the opposite of springy. But I'm expecting some Big 3 PRs this year.

Had a minor back tweak last week. Plus only 5 days rest (vs the usual 7). And I was short on time. So I knew I was going to limit volume, so I decided to up the Intensity just a bit. My dead lift and bench felt very light, even better than my squat.

I'm still going up, I hope. But I will admit my knees felt the opposite of springy. But I'm expecting some Big 3 PRs this year.

Had a minor back tweak last week. Plus only 5 days rest (vs the usual 7). And I was short on time. So I knew I was going to limit volume, so I decided to up the Intensity just a bit. My dead lift and bench felt very light, even better than my squat.

I think I can still get to my strength lift (squat, pull, press) PRs when I do my next strength block.

But the explosive moves.....I'm just not quite as fast under the bar as I used to be; my power snatch is about the same as ever, but my full snatch is not as high because I can't catch it as quickly / low.

I think I can still get to my strength lift (squat, pull, press) PRs when I do my next strength block.

But the explosive moves.....I'm just not quite as fast under the bar as I used to be; my power snatch is about the same as ever, but my full snatch is not as high because I can't catch it as quickly / low.
Reminds me of Rocky Balboa:
"To beat this guy, you need speed. You don't have any. Your knees are weak so no hard running. You've got neck arthritis and calcium deposits in most of your joints, so sparring is out.
So what we'll be callin' on, is good old-fashioned blunt force trauma. Horse power. Heavy duty cast iron pile drivin' punches that will have to hurt so much it'll rattle his ancestors. Everytime you hit him with a shot, it's got to feel like he tried kissing the express train.
[cracks his neck] Yeah! Let's start building some hurtin' bombs."

Dude, I ordered it like YESTERDAY...
Welp, almost record fast shipping out of Titan - arrived this morning. It required the tiniest bit of assembly (like 3 mins worth) and is ready to go in the power rack for tomorrow. I've only ever used a SSQ bar twice in my life and did not enjoy either experience - I fully expect to simultaneously both hate and love it, and plan to use it regularly.

I've only ever used a SSQ bar twice in my life and did not enjoy either experience

Congrats!

It's only been a handful of times for me, too.

I never figured out what I'm supposed to do with my shoulders.

Are you supposed to make a neck shelf with your traps like in a back squat? Or brace your delts like in front squats?

I still don't know, but I'm ready to learn vicariously. ;)

Congrats!

Are you supposed to make a neck shelf with your traps like in a back squat? Or brace your delts like in front squats?

Those are good questions and I'll try to suss out decent responses with experience - yeah, it seems to shut down upper back engagement for me kind of like doing a front squat with your arms taped to your sides. But, it's been a while so my memory might not be accurate.

Congrats!

Experiment. But make sure you pull the handles towards your body. Don't push them out. Makes the reps extra painful!

Okay, I took another rack at 315 AMRAP today. Good news, I got 12 at a much lower RPE. Bad news, my pace might've been too fast paired with the protein bar & shake I ate 20 minutes prior to this set so I almost threw up LOL.

Recently I've been doing 365 on the close stance sumo for amraps & I hit 19 the other day with chains so I think I'm going to start going for this weekly until I break 20+ reps. If you watch the set you'll be able to see I've for sure got more in me. Just a matter of time. This set made the rest of my workout hard but I muscled through.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom