all posts post new thread

Barbell A Barbell Squat Challenge for 2022 (315lb x As Many Reps As Proper)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Why would you have a shorter range of motion with the box squat?

I do agree that it could make a difference.
As a weightlifter I squat high bar to the lowest depth my range of motion will allow for.
The few times I have used box squats in the past and the times I’ve seen them used. (West side for instance) the box squat are typically at or just below parallel. I assume watchnerd might be in a similar situation since he is a weightlifter as well.

I believe you will be hard pressed to find anyone using a box low enough to not consider the range of motion to be lessened.
Unless of course you powerlifting and or only need to break parallel.

As a weightlifter I squat high bar to the lowest depth my range of motion will allow for.
The few times I have used box squats in the past and the times I’ve seen them used. (West side for instance) the box squat are typically at or just below parallel. I assume watchnerd might be in a similar situation since he is a weightlifter as well.

I believe you will be hard pressed to find anyone using a box low enough to not consider the range of motion to be lessened.
Unless of course you powerlifting and or only need to break parallel.

Yes, it is possible to set the box to exactly what height we want to. That's why I'd expect the box height to be what's needed for the lifter in question. So it wouldn't be high or higher than the lifter's typical squat, since apart from benefits of variation, the carryover would be lower.

Yes, it is possible to set the box to exactly what height we want to. That's why I'd expect the box height to be what's needed for the lifter in question. So it wouldn't be high or higher than the lifter's typical squat, since apart from benefits of variation, the carryover would be lower.
Good to know. I have only seen west side and some of my old college strength coaches using them and I mirrored their prescription of them when I used them for a short while. I know the box can be adjusted to an extent. But maybe pictures will convey what I’m saying better.

I’ve personally never witnessed anyone using a box as low as the image below. I’m sure someone somewhere has. But I have never seen it being practiced.

Attachments

• F4516067-83ED-4A5E-8B62-1CEE66373279.jpeg
    F4516067-83ED-4A5E-8B62-1CEE66373279.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 14
Good to know. I have only seen west side and some of my old college strength coaches using them and I mirrored their prescription of them when I used them for a short while. I know the box can be adjusted to an extent. But maybe pictures will convey what I’m saying better.

I’ve personally never witnessed anyone using a box as low as the image below. I’m sure someone somewhere has. But I have never seen it being practiced.
I used to use a 10" box. I'm probably not flexible enough to do so anymore, but I'll take some measurements later today.

I made this point probably 15 years ago and it bears some repeating - there may be a significant difference between high bar ATG and low bar parallel in "depth" as defined as distance from the floor to your a#@, OR, depending on your body structure/stance/flexibility, there might not be. I've never measured it out and I suppose it's time I did...

The video's dated and terrible quality, but the point is made here (edit - relinked because apparently someone else uploaded my videos???):

Last edited:

The box I used (stool, actually) was about 2-3" below parallel.

It wasn't as deep as my high bar free squat.

I used to use a 10" box. I'm probably not flexible enough to do so anymore, but I'll take some measurements later today.

I made this point probably 15 years ago and it bears some repeating - there may be a significant difference between high bar ATG and low bar parallel in "depth" as defined as distance from the floor to your a#@, OR, depending on your body structure, there might not be. I've never measured it out and I suppose it's time I did...

The video's dated and terrible quality, but the point is made here (edit - relinked because apparently someone else uploaded my videos???):

Love the videos Boris.
And I understand your point.

However my point in regards to the box squat most people use it as a power development tool and or to fix a sticking point. For power development (most) people will not be using a box that is as low ten inches like you have used in the past.
And same thing goes for sticking points. A lot of us catch a slight bounce out of the hole (very bottom) of the squat so the lowest portion is not typical for a sticking point. Usually it would be somewhere around or just below parallel.
Keep in mind I am speaking in general here. I know there are always exceptions. In which case your experience may vary.

So it wouldn't be high or higher than the lifter's typical squat, since apart from benefits of variation, the carryover would be lower.

I actually don't have anything (that I can think of) that would be short enough and sturdy enough for my full depth.

My plyobox (20" x 24" x 30") is too tall if I put it at the shortest (20") height.

My bench is 17.5" tall, and it was also too tall.

The stool I used is a few inches shorter than the bench, I'm going to guess it was ~15" tall.

If I hunt around outside, I might be able to find a log round that is 12-14" that would be sturdy enough.

Love the videos Boris.
And I understand your point.

However my point in regards to the box squat most people use it as a power development tool and or to fix a sticking point. For power development (most) people will not be using a box that is as low ten inches like you have used in the past.
And same thing goes for sticking points. A lot of us catch a slight bounce out of the hole (very bottom) of the squat so the lowest portion is not typical for a sticking point. Usually it would be somewhere around or just below parallel.
Keep in mind I am speaking in general here. I know there are always exceptions.
People use box squats for a lot of things - flexibility development being one of them. I don't know how 'most people' use it, but Louie talked a lot about low box squats. I'm not trying to argue with you - I think you're right about it generally in saying it's a reduced rom, I'm just trying to highlight that that isn't necessarily the case.

That was my intent.

I'm a fast rebounder / bouncer, intentionally so for clean recovery habits.

The box forced me to take the bounce out and work more on the sticking point.

People use box squats for a lot of things - flexibility development being one of them. I don't know how 'most people' use it, but Louie talked a lot about low box squats. I'm not trying to argue with you - I think you're right about it generally in saying it's a reduced rom, I'm just trying to highlight that that isn't necessarily the case.
I didn’t take it as you being argumentative and I hope I didn’t come across as such either.
I am sure you are right as with any tool there can be multiple uses. And I am certainly no box squat aficionado so undoubtedly there are many uses for it that I am not even aware of.

Slightly off topic story but when I was running track in college our coaches used to prescribe them as a means to help us explode out of the blocks. No idea if I noticed much improvement from doing them or not. But coming out of the blocks never seemed to be my weak point anyways.

I wonder if we could equate squats to a box to jumps on box. I understand in jump training, it's much easier to recover from jumping on a box than having to bounce off the full eccentric.

Speaking of eccentrics, the eccentric on the box squat is different from the free, bouncy, squat as you shouldn't slam down on the box, but control the eccentric and sit smoothly on to the box.

Since this thread seems to be half the comp / training to smash the comp I feel like it's a fun idea to post this pr here

455 x 2 low bar. Depth on the second could've been a bit lower but after so much zercher only I'm not really used to where depth is yet. Spoiled by my elbows giving me feedback.

I've noticed my back feels pretty weak. My legs springike crazy out of the hole but I feel like I'm getting crushed.

How you get prepped for a heavy lift is an individual thing, but if I were coaching you I'd say to take a little more time for the positioning, unrack and set-up - the rush and extra movement makes it hard to be really ready to go. Nice work though - very strong!

How you get prepped for a heavy lift is an individual thing, but if I were coaching you I'd say to take a little more time for the positioning, unrack and set-up - the rush and extra movement makes it hard to be really ready to go. Nice work though - very strong!

This was probably, technically one of the worst sets I've ever performed. I've come across some amazing news lately paired with a bit of stress. I walked into the gym, drank a C4 bottoms up just loaded 315 on and within 4 minutes of doing that hit this set. Like walked into gym & 5 minutes later did this. I don't think I've ever been more hyped in my life.

Tbh that plus how rusty my backsquat is probably was a recipe for disaster but what can I say. I'm 25 and train like it

This was probably, technically one of the worst sets I've ever performed. I've come across some amazing news lately paired with a bit of stress. I walked into the gym, drank a C4 bottoms up just loaded 315 on and within 4 minutes of doing that hit this set. Like walked into gym & 5 minutes later did this. I don't think I've ever been more hyped in my life.

Tbh that plus how rusty my backsquat is probably was a recipe for disaster but what can I say. I'm 25 and train like it
LOL! Yeah, that's true, but I would never say something like that unless they offered it up first...

Like I said, very strong - nice job!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom