all posts post new thread

Barbell A Barbell Squat Challenge for 2022 (315lb x As Many Reps As Proper)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
8/8/2022:

- Barbell squat: 1x314, 1x364, 1x404, 1x441lb

Feeling good, not too heavy. I'm going to spend the next 10+ weeks peaking. I think I have another 10 or 20% in the tank. My plan is still to see if I can train a 315lb squat (for reps) by getting stronger in 1RM. Only downside is I don't have a 315lb baseline (for reps). Oh well...

Regards,

Eric

My plan is still to see if I can train a 315lb squat (for reps) by getting stronger in 1RM. Only downside is I don't have a 315lb baseline (for reps).

I'll be curious to see what you conclude.

In my case, the answer has been "not entirely".

When I finish a competition prep block and then switch to a hypertrophy mesocycle for the next 12 weeks afterwards, I can do a lot more hard sets and more reps per set at the end of the 12 weeks than at the beginning.

When I finish a competition prep block and then switch to a hypertrophy mesocycle for the next 12 weeks afterwards, I can do a lot more hard sets and more reps per set at the end of the 12 weeks than at the beginning.
Yea it may be a spectacular fail. I got 10 reps in me, any day. The question is how much pain am I willing to go through. I'm a baby. So not much. I train light and low reps, lol. But maybe 1 day I can muster some intestinal fortitude and PUSH!

8/8/2022:

Feeling good, not too heavy. I'm going to spend the next 10+ weeks peaking. I think I have another 10 or 20% in the tank. My plan is still to see if I can train a 315lb squat (for reps) by getting stronger in 1RM. Only downside is I don't have a 315lb baseline (for reps). Oh well...

Regards,

Eric
Time for another meet!

8/8/2022:

Regards,

Eric

Dang 441 x 1 is good. You should have a good amount more than 10 in the tank if that 441 was RPE 7~

After a peak I believe in 500 for you

Yea it may be a spectacular fail. I got 10 reps in me, any day. The question is how much pain am I willing to go through. I'm a baby. So not much. I train light and low reps, lol. But maybe 1 day I can muster some intestinal fortitude and PUSH!

I'm glad I have bumper plates.

It makes it much more comfortable for me to push into the 12-15 range knowing I can ditch the lift if I think I have 2 RIR, but really have 0. ;)

I generally have to practice higher rep sets if I want them to improve. Of course, limit strength is the base, but the gap matters less when you get into really high rep stuff
(Sadly, for this challenge I don't have to worry about much of a gap OR high reps...)

I generally have to practice higher rep sets if I want them to improve. Of course, limit strength is the base, but the gap matters less when you get into really high rep stuff
(Sadly, for this challenge I don't have to worry about much of a gap OR high reps...)

I always have to re-acquaint myself with being comfortable with being uncomfortable from the burn.

It's a different kind of hard than strength or power work.

But the "embrace the burn" usually translates well to my rowing season.

Dang 441 x 1 is good. You should have a good amount more than 10 in the tank if that 441 was RPE 7~

After a peak I believe in 500 for you
490 is my max in a sanctioned/judged powerlifting meet, in 2019. I've hit 500 and possibly even more at home, few years ago (below parallel per my judging). 441lb, yesterday, was 90% of that 490lb lift (that is how I came to that number). 441lb felt more like 8.5 RPE, not 7. But I'm a terrible judge of these things. Everything over 275lb is hard for me, I just somehow get it up. Lol.

555 is the most I ever had on my back. It wasn't legit. Somewhere between legit squat and quarter squat. Call it a 3/4 squat.

I always have to re-acquaint myself with being comfortable with being uncomfortable from the burn.

It's a different kind of hard than strength or power work.

But the "embrace the burn" usually translates well to my rowing season.
The burn is so miserable for me. I only want to experience it once!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom