all posts post new thread

Barbell A Barbell Squat Challenge for 2022 (315lb x As Many Reps As Proper)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Solid squats dude. Great speed out of the hole with 460.
Thanks John. I think a lot of this is left over from me working up to the 405 front squat last year. After I hit that I sort of just maintained and didn't really go after anything really hard per say. Over the past 2-3 months I've been cranking up the effort a bit. I think I may try to make a run at ta 500lbs+ squat next year. Its been a long, long time since I've had that kind of weight on my back.

I love mine and its all I use for the most part. I have a few other specialty bars, but I honestly don't count it as one. I'll use my regular bar for things that might would damage my RhinoFlexHD bar.
Jeff, does this bar add instability? Does it bounce the weight around more to work smaller stabilizer muscles? Is that the concept?

Jeff, does this bar add instability? Does it bounce the weight around more to work smaller stabilizer muscles? Is that the concept?
yes. In the video with the 460lbs you have to really pay attention but my erectors were firing in places that they have never fired from before. Like that song, "theres a whole lot of shaking going on!"

Here is a set with the hangers and anchors

10/21/2022:

- Barbell Squat: 1x314, 1x364, 1x404, 1x446, 1x475.5lb
- Barbell Squat with Green Mini Reverse Bands: 1x504, 1x544, 1x584lb

Set some PR's on RB squats. I probably had at least 50 lb of tension in the bottom position. Last real heavy session prior to a max attempt in a few weeks. Then 2 weeks of 315, for reps, training.

Thank you. I try to make most weeks look something like this (but if it doesn't, I don't beat myself up about it):
Saturday: max effort squat
Sunday: auxiliary/accessory work (upper back/abs/hip and hams)
Monday: press or push-ups
Tuesday: dynamic effort squat
Wednesday: auxiliary/accessory work (upper back/abs/hip and hams)
Thursday: press or push-ups
Friday: recovery/grip

I think Pause Squats actually hurt my 1RM whenever peaking to max out. Because they train me to be slow.

But during a hypertrophy training, OFFSEASON, I think they are really helpful (but I can't prove it). I like training "derivative" excersises where I can use significantly lighter weight but it feels hard. I can get a good training effect with pause squats with <50% of my 1RM. Not true with normal squats.

I think Pause Squats actually hurt my 1RM whenever peaking to max out. Because they train me to be slow.
Yes, absolutely. And, speaking as someone who's not naturally speedy, it's probably even worse.
But during a hypertrophy training, OFFSEASON, I think they are really helpful (but I can't prove it). I like training "derivative" excersises where I can use significantly lighter weight but it feels hard. I can get a good training effect with pause squats with <50% of my 1RM. Not true with normal squats.
Yeah, I think you're right. And for teaching tension, positioning, etc, probably a great tool to keep in the mix.

Here's a hot take that I'm just going to leave here - pause squats have never done a thing for my squat numbers. Like, at all. Ever.

I'm not going so far as to say they've never done anything at all for me, because I think there's a lot to learn from doing them, but yeah...
Do you think bottom position squats have any benefit for squat numbers?

Those ones where you start with the bar in the bottom position.
I've experimented with concentric only squats from pins. I liked them, but I can't say they did much for me really. I found them a lot of work to set up/position for and implement. Kind of like weight releasers - a real pain in the butt to set up for each single.

Like I said about pause squats, they could be a useful tool if you're teaching/learning positioning and tension in the hole and as Antti said, teaching/learning power out of it. However, one might argue that chains/bands/box squats could teach the same things.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom