all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A case for the get up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J Cox

Level 6 Valued Member
A truly interesting thing happened today.

I have been working S&S for a month now. Today I opted to just do some ladder pushups before Easter brunch.

I haven't done pushups in weeks. I've also grown proficient in my get-ups, really feeling the weight under my control overhead, especially in my lats.

That said, my pushups felt different today, stronger than ever, and firing in my lats. I always tried to turn them on in the past but it never really seemed much better. Today, they fired without thought. I believe those get-ups truly brought on that wth effect.

Just going to keep this going into sinister (48kg), but I still have simple (32) to achieve. Who knows what I'll discover along the way.

S&S is great, get ups are an amazing movement. I got to simple standard about a year ago. It built a good base for other movements. I’m curious about the oapu. I got that via gtg but they felt similar to get ups in a weird way. Maybe it’s time for me to get my get up, up to speed again (Isn’t that sentence fun).

S&S is great, get ups are an amazing movement. I got to simple standard about a year ago. It built a good base for other movements. I’m curious about the oapu. I got that via gtg but they felt similar to get ups in a weird way. Maybe it’s time for me to get my get up, up to speed again (Isn’t that sentence fun).
It was tough at first to just do S&S and let that be the focus. Hell, I could barely do a getup a month ago unweighted. Once I focused, it really is my favorite bit of training. And the work provides results.

I had been doing basic weightlifting befor S&S but the results in my mobility and general fitness are well beyond what I got out of 6 prior months slamming around the barbell.

Not to say that doesn't have benefits. I think I just needed what the program says: foundation.

I have been working S&S for a month now. Today I opted to just do some ladder pushups before Easter brunch.

I haven't done pushups in weeks. I've also grown proficient in my get-ups, really feeling the weight under my control overhead, especially in my lats.

That said, my pushups felt different today, stronger than ever, and firing in my lats. I always tried to turn them on in the past but it never really seemed much better. Today, they fired without thought. I believe those get-ups truly brought on that wth effect.

Just going to keep this going into sinister (48kg), but I still have simple (32) to achieve. Who knows what I'll discover along the way.

Crawling is another one that seems to "knit" the body together well and helps everything else.

Crawling is another one that seems to "knit" the body together well and helps everything else.
Over the Easter holidays I did not have access to KBs and did some Leopard Crawling everyday, about 3 minutes total in 3 sets. I could definitely feel my lats, glutes and, well, my entire body engage. That was very eye opening.

I also had similar observations during the easter break. I’m currently on S&S, approaching Simple. I went on NW GTG and was surprised to manage to do one arm push up first time in my life.

One SFG had told me to always press the bell with single hand while starting the get-up, when possible. I do feel that this really helped on that one arm push up. I also find my get-ups more solid when I start that way.

I was able to do the one arm one leg pushup after having already gotten to doing the S&S routine with the 32kg bell.
I got strong at chinups from deadlifts and much stronger at dips from the military press.
Bodyweight movements are terrifically important, but if we're talking strength itself, even the strength specifically for the bodyweight movements, I think hard iron is the way.

I'll add that I think the swings have a lot to do with it too, it isn't just the getups.

I also had similar observations during the easter break. I’m currently on S&S, approaching Simple. I went on NW GTG and was surprised to manage to do one arm push up first time in my life.

One SFG had told me to always press the bell with single hand while starting the get-up, when possible. I do feel that this really helped on that one arm push up. I also find my get-ups more solid when I start that way.

A good tip. I will do that from today. Thanks.

Over the Easter holidays I did not have access to KBs and did some Leopard Crawling everyday, about 3 minutes total in 3 sets. I could definitely feel my lats, glutes and, well, my entire body engage. That was very eye opening.

Yeah, I was a skeptic and thought it was some flaky natural movement stuff, but not anymore. I never realize just how tight my shoulders and neck were until I started doing them recently. Alec Salkin SFG2 who runs his own site heavily promotes it along with loaded carries.

I am seriously thinking of ditching all pressing and upper body work next month and only doing TGUs, crawling, and loaded carries to see what would happen to everything else.

Here's some exploration around that comparison: The Forgotten Benefits of the Get-up | StrongFirst

Thanks for the link!

I was able to do the one arm one leg pushup after having already gotten to doing the S&S routine with the 32kg bell.
I got strong at chinups from deadlifts and much stronger at dips from the military press.
Bodyweight movements are terrifically important, but if we're talking strength itself, even the strength specifically for the bodyweight movements, I think hard iron is the way.

I think S+S and iron are easier to progress with - the programming is more clear. However, it can go both ways. Tim Anderson got real strong with crawling only. Phil Chubb (Martina & Philip Chubb (@the_mindful_mover) • Instagram photos and videos ) is a real strong guy and thinks that calisthenics is superior for upper body work. And Geoff Neupert has stated that bodyweight movement is easier to recover from, allowing for more volume. Still, right now I prefer KBs + crawling.

@guardian7 : I am often tempted to base my training around loading the gait pattern (crawling, carries) and doing stuff like TGUs - OS/Becoming Bulletproof style. (Btw: Tim Anderson has a new book on it with some interesting training challenges).

I think that both crawling and TGU help to plug energy leaks. They teach the body to work as a unit and train the whole chain reflexively.
Five Energy Leaks to Plug so Your Strength Gains Flow | StrongFirst

Thanks for the link!

I think S+S and iron are easier to progress with - the programming is more clear. However, it can go both ways. Tim Anderson got real strong with crawling only. Phil Chubb (Martina & Philip Chubb (@the_mindful_mover) • Instagram photos and videos ) is a real strong guy and thinks that calisthenics is superior for upper body work. And Geoff Neupert has stated that bodyweight movement is easier to recover from, allowing for more volume. Still, right now I prefer KBs + crawling.

@guardian7 : I am often tempted to base my training around loading the gait pattern (crawling, carries) and doing stuff like TGUs - OS/Becoming Bulletproof style. (Btw: Tim Anderson has a new book on it with some interesting training challenges).

I think that both crawling and TGU help to plug energy leaks. They teach the body to work as a unit and train the whole chain reflexively.
I'd be inclined to agree. We do a lot of stuff crawling-like in judo and I do think it fills in my physique.

I think this thread also makes a case for not needing to do a vast array of different exercises due to the transferability of strength systems.

Thanks for the link!

I actually will crawl out into a pushup position then back into a squat between each set. I do ladders so the crawl is a mini active rest in and out of position.

I think you are right Kozushi. I have attained better results in the brief time I have done S&S than I did in the circus of weight room routines I did 6 months leading up to s&s.
Nothing against other training, but this is what I needed to get my body working better.

I've been doing a fair amount of them lately in the form of sandbag getups for conditioning, using everything from 50lb bag up to 70lbs. Am enjoying them as much or more than I did when using KBs with a lot of weight at a slower cadence.

Anytime I'm changing levels or just getting up off the floor I actually use the mechanics and spatial awareness.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom