all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A couple of observations...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rwleonard

Level 7 Valued Member
1. I haven't rucked for a few weeks, doing six days/week of S&S. My first return to rucking was an informal PR and felt great. I told my wife that swings seem to do more for my rucking than does rucking. WTH!

2. I am working around a biceps injury, doing all 2HSw's right now. Looking back, I have rarely had an injury that kept me from doing 2HSw's. They hit everything, but hurt nothing.

3. 2HSw, done Al Ciampa style, are more quickly exhausting than any other KB ballistic I do. I don't know why they do not get more love.

FWIW

Last edited:
1. I haven't rucked for a few weeks, doing six days/week of S&S. My first return to rucking was an informal PR and felt great. I told my wife that swings seem to do more for my rucking than does rucking. WTH!

2. I am working around a biceps injury, doing all 2HSw's right now. Looking back, I have rarely had an injury that kept me from doing 2HSw's. They hit everything, but hurt nothing.

3. 2HSw, done Al Ciampa style, are more quickly exhausting than any other KB ballistic I do. I don't know why they do get more love.

FWIW

I had a similar WTH experience this summer.

Six months of S&S plus daily walks helped me ascend my first 14er ever (14,000 ft summits) carrying a light backpack (6.8 mile roundtrip, 2,100 ft elevation gain).

Toughest part was going down steep rocky trails. The DOMs I got were similar to those I felt when I started heavy sandbag getups more recently.

So my guess is swings help you up steep trails and getups help you down them.

Going up is lungs and muscle burn. Going down is more of an orthopedic hurt. I recall humping down a mountain in the military. By about half way through, both socks were rolled up in tight balls in the toe of my boots and I was barefoot. Fun times.

Yup... At one point while going down my leg gave way and I rolled clear off the trail with a couple of back somersaults!

Lucky a bush broke my fall or I would still be rolling down the Rockies all the way to Denver.

Lucky a Park Ranger wasn't at hand or they would've given me a ticket for mutilating the bush.

Lucky still I had a first aid kit to treat the gaping gash in my hand.

It was a blast, though.

From Al's deployment prep article:

Two-hand swings have to be overspeed. But here’s my version, an excerpt from my training manual:

“A proper swing is a tug-of-war between the opposing body lines: posterior v. anterior. The glutes, hamstrings, and quads forcefully catapult the bell forward, while the lats, abdominals, and hip flexors catch it and throw it back—compress the posterior spring, fire the spring, compress the anterior spring, fire that spring, then do it again. Both the hinge and plank position are maximally tight—maximum feed-forward tension—for the time the bell spends flying out, one is “relaxed- tight”.

Throw the bell from the coiled spring of the hinge into the tight plank—stay connected to the bell—”catch” it in the plank and throw it back down. Recoil the spring and snap back to plank. Repeat for a set of 10. Check your heart rate. Wow.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I stop mine around sternum high, get a very brief relaxation, then it's off to the over-speed eccentric. Good stuff.

Yup... At one point while going down my leg gave way and I rolled clear off the trail with a couple of back somersaults!

Lucky a bush broke my fall or I would still be rolling down the Rockies all the way to Denver.

Lucky a Park Ranger wasn't at hand or they would've given me a ticket for mutilating the bush.

Lucky still I had a first aid kit to treat the gaping gash in my hand.

It was a blast, though.

Maybe swings help one on the way up, and gymnastics tumbling drills help one on the way down?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom