all posts post new thread

a dad reloaded

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Backstory
I'm Kevin, a 39 year old IT guy in Memphis. I've got a 2 year old and 4 year old, and keeping up with them is getting challenging, due to low energy and back pain. About six months ago I decided to start doing something to mitigate that. I had been somewhat interested in kettlebells since around 2010, and had tried them on my own a couple of times, but could never learn the technique and train safely, and until very recently we did not have any qualified trainers in my area. As luck would have it, I became aware that there were a couple of SFGs here now. I started working with one of the SFGs about four months ago, and it's just been fantastic -- I've made more progress than I could have ever imagined.

I have a lifelong weight problem and am starting to get to the point that it's effecting my health. I have fought acid reflux/GERD pretty badly over the last couple of years, and a1C has been trending upward. My doctor recommended that I go on a low-carbohydrate diet, and that's been working fantastically for both the GERD and a1C. I've also lost 50 lbs but have a long way to go (I'm trying not to rush it). I've experimented off and on with intermittent fasting and would like to continue to do so.

I'm 6'2" 375lb currently.

Goals
Ultimately I would like to participate in the TSC. I see this as a long term goal because I am far away from being able to do a single pull-up (due to bodyweight), I am not doing snatches yet, and I deadlift on a trap bar (I really like the trap bar). So instead I am going to set some short-term goals and work my way towards the TSC.

Here are my short-term goals:
Trap-bar Deadlift: 425lb (currently close but not ready to max out a 1RM yet)
Kettlebell Military Press: 32kg x 5 (currently 24kg x 5)
Kettlebell 1h Swings: 100 in 5 minutes with 32kg (am mainly swinging with 28kg but have not done timed tests yet)

Program
I train with SFG twice per week and three times per week on my own.

For the sessions with her I do trap bar deadlift (have been doing simple progression until now and am starting a reload cycle this week) + military presses in one session, and then the next session is some kind of squat variation, row variation, and push-ups, landmine presses, or some other assistance press. We're doing swings on a "every 30 sec" protocol but have mostly moved those into homework.

We just finished all of the tests for reload so I am starting the 8 week cycle for the deadlift this week. 5RM came in at 355 (i got a shaky 365 set but she won't accept it ;)) and we're doing the 2% jumps (got 14 reps with 295!).

At home it's mainly swings, presses, goblet squats, and loaded carries. Lighter deadlifts every once in a while. I need to find a good setup for rows or upper body pulls at home.

You may notice something missing, the turkish get-up. I am trying to get there but it's a very difficult exercise for me due to bodyweight, mobility, and coordination. We're breaking it down into stages and getting closer.

I also walk daily ~30 minutes. Sometimes I use a weighted rucksack or plate carrier.

Basically if I stick to training, stick to low carb, dont binge eat or abuse alcohol, this should pretty much run itself.

6/24:

Deadlift Warmup
3 rounds of:
5x kettlebell halo 16kg
5x kettlebell behind-the-neck good morning 16kg
10 banded side steps
8 medicine balls slams

Deadlift 5RM test
warmup to 5x255
5x295
5x305
5x315
5x325
5x335
5x345
5x355
5x365 (shaky, did not get credit for this)

Kettlebell Military Press (one arm)
5x16kg (warmup)
2x8x20kg
1x7x20kg

6/25:

Swings (one arm)
24kg
5 rounds of 5 swings every 30 seconds
Rest 2 minutes
Rest 2 minutes
Rest 2 minutes

Kettlebell Military Press (double)
5x3x24kg

6/27:

Warmup
3 rounds of:

2x Half getups (to Palm position), 16kg
8x Push ups, 24" bar
5x 3-0-3 goblet squat, 24kg

Double kettlebell front squat
5x5, 2:30 rest in-between
2x24kg, 2x28kg, 2x28kg, 2x24kg, 2x24kg

Press (1 arm)

8x16kg
2x24kg
2x24kg
5x20kg

Felt pretty weird today for some reason, biceps just felt super worn out / tight. Workout was a lot harder than it should have been.

Last edited:
2x14kg should read 24kg, seems we can't edit posts here?
More editing capabilities are granted after a user's first few posts.

We ask, as a matter of forum policy, that if you have questions about how the forum is administered, you send them to me in a PM. Discussing how the forum is administered on the forum itself invariably doesn't go well which is why it's discouraged on many long-standing online forums.

-S-

Thanks -- I don't intend to question or protest the administration of the forums in any way, just was trying to make sure I wasn't missing where the button was somewhere. Anyway it seems like I can edit now, thanks.

6/28:

Rest day, donating blood

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom