all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A few millimeters make all the difference...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Cobra

Level 4 Valued Member
Just a reminder of how important proper technique is.

Doing the Giant 1.1. Been cleaning and pressing double 24-28 for a few years.

Lately, something's been off with my left-handed clean; the bell rolls up to far towards the radius-end of my forearm, putting uncomfortable pressure on it while my right-handed side provokes no issues. If the bell rolls just a few millimeters away from that spot I have no discomfort.

In the past, I might have gotten a bit sore with a slight swelling that quickly subsided (if I had poor technique). After some further provocation, it came to its current status at noon the day after. Now the swelling is significant and painful. I'm heading out to have it looked at.

Don't be stupid like me; stop if there's pain.

Attachments

• DSC_0219.jpeg
    DSC_0219.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 94
OUCH! good luck!!!! I'm no doc, but that looks like a broken bone....

or some Popeye type of super-hypertrophy after he eats his Spinash. sorry, bad joke. it looks sore.

OUCH! good luck!!!! I'm no doc, but that looks like a broken bone....

or some Popeye type of super-hypertrophy after he eats his Spinash. sorry, bad joke. it looks sore.

I hope not; I can turn my wrist so maybe a crack in the radius at worst (I hope).

That or one of the shallow extensor tendons has been bruised. The extensor side of the forearm is not as meaty as the flexors, thus lesser cushioning.

And don't worry; I cracked pretty much the same joke to my wife. She doesn't find it funny and insist I check it out so off I go.

/T

Checked it out; probably a skin-infection that caught on after the initial trauma, ergo not entirely due to cleans. Apparently bacteria managed to find itself coming through my skin in the already compromised area (the reason why the current swelling and reddening did not come until a day after).

In a way, I'm relieved that there's no structural damage that would prevent future training, though arm-training is off-limits until after a 10-day antibiotic treatment. Guess I'll have to focus on some A+A split lunge jumping instead.

Checked it out; probably a skin-infection that caught on after the initial trauma, ergo not entirely due to cleans. Apparently bacteria managed to find itself coming through my skin in the already compromised area (the reason why the current swelling and reddening did not come until a day after).

In a way, I'm relieved that there's no structural damage that would prevent future training, though arm-training is off-limits until after a 10-day antibiotic treatment. Guess I'll have to focus on some A+A split lunge jumping instead.

Glad nothing is broken or torn, but....

Your kettlebell infected you?

ewwww!

:eek:

Sounds like bad luck (skin infection), but relatively easily treated and only a little time off some training.

I’m glad you had the good sense to listen to your wife and get it checked out!

@Cobra

I remember when I first started cleans, my form was absolutely horrendous that was causing the bells to slam into my forearms. I had an onset of swelling as well, but not to your degree. Thankfully, around that time, I found ETK and came to realize my good friend was an SFG. Problem solved!

Guess we have to clean the bell..twice? ROFL Sorry for the joke, glad you are ok!

I had some problems in that area from time to time, just some rash but thought it was normal, guess I should pay more attention! Thanks for sharing!

Glad nothing is broken or torn, but....

Your kettlebell infected you?

ewwww!

:eek:
Well, I'm speculating, but...

The day after my kettlebell session I was a bit sore and slightly swollen on my left arm as sometimes would happen. Then I practiced easy capoeira acrobatics. I had a special wrist band that off-loads my wrist somewhat yet afterward I realized I probably hadn't cleaned it in a while (smelly).

After that session, inflammation soared.

Given the time frame between the initial hurt and the additional swelling, I suspect this is the case.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom