all posts post new thread

Barbell A few weeks of PTTP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
I want to try out PTTP for a few weeks primarily with deadlift, military press, and bench press.

I am hoping some of you PTTP-smart people can give it a sanity check.

My goals: Be ready for SFL weekend Oct 13-15. I'm currently within the required strength tests and technique tests, but want to maintain that and build a bit more capacity/strength.

My background, and what I did most recently (short version, about 12 weeks of 5/3/1): Testing 1RM on multiple lifts

Here are my weights (in pounds) and calculations based on my understanding of the PTTP program:

upload_2017-9-14_16-3-24.png

So this is what I would plan to do based on my understanding of the program, and more or less the "Flexible Wave Cycle" on page 55, in weight x reps:

Monday: DL 170 x 5, DL 150 x 5, MP 60 x 5, MP 55 x 5
Tuesday: DL 175 x 5, DL 155 x 5, BP 70 x 5, BP 60 x 5
Wednesday: DL 180 x 5, DL 160 x 5, MP 65 x 5, MP 60 x 5
Thursday: DL 170 x 5, DL 150 x 5, BP 75 x 5, BP 65 x 5
Friday: DL 175 x 5, DL 155 x 5, MP 65 x 5, MP 60 x 5
Saturday: No lifting
Sunday: No lifting

Monday: DL 175 x 5, DL 155 x 5, MP 65 x 5, MP 60 x 5
Tuesday: DL 180 x 5, DL 160 x 5, BP 75 x 5, BP 65 x 5
Wednesday: DL 185 x 5, DL 165 x 5, MP 70 x 5, MP 65 x 5
Thursday: DL 175 x 5, DL 155 x 5, BP 80 x 5, BP 70 x 5
Friday: DL 180 x 5, DL 160 x 5, MP 70 x 5, MP 65 x 5
Saturday: No lifting
Sunday: No lifting

Etc....

I might do squats instead of deadlifts one of the days during the week, but other than that I'd like to do it as close as possible to how it's intended.

Does this look about right? I appreciate any advice!

Last edited:
My only contribution is I believe a 5,3,2 rep scheme all at the same weight (vs 5 + 5@90%) is "approved" PTTP 2.0.

Anna,

I'm doing PttP flexible waves at the moment and enjoying it. I've been going up 2.5 kg a day for 4 days then back 3 steps and starting again. So on your Thursday I'd go to 185 then on the Friday dropback to 175

I find that a lot of the benefits come from reinforcing the practice every day for 5 days a week - there's a big neurological component. You might find it works better to do a whole week or minicycle of MP then a week of BP? Or do three days of one then 2 days of another.

Your starting weights look correct.

Arg, pushed post button too fast.

Your template looks good, but you're not running PTTP at that point and it may not get you the results you desire.

@Anna C I've been running a pttp like cycle recently and I must say that I really enjoy the 5,3,2 rep scheme. Now I'm not sure if your suppose to but when I drop down to sets of 3,2 and then just a double I've added a back off set of 5 just like the original pttp. I also utilize this same scheme for weighted pullups and and seeing good progress as of now.

My only contribution is I believe a 5,3,2 rep scheme all at the same weight (vs 5 + 5@90%) is "approved" PTTP 2.0.

I like that! The less plate switching, the better. I can warm up with kettlebells, and then go right for the weight of the day on the barbell.

Where do I find PTTP 2.0?

I'm doing PttP flexible waves at the moment and enjoying it. I've been going up 2.5 kg a day for 4 days then back 3 steps and starting again. So on your Thursday I'd go to 185 then on the Friday dropback to 175

OK that sounds good, thanks

PTTP is designed for 2 lifts.

True... but, I dare not completely neglect either the MP or the BP, so I thought alternating the two might be best for my immediate goal...

I've been running a pttp like cycle recently and I must say that I really enjoy the 5,3,2 rep scheme. Now I'm not sure if your suppose to but when I drop down to sets of 3,2 and then just a double I've added a back off set of 5 just like the original pttp. I also utilize this same scheme for weighted pullups and and seeing good progress as of now.

Awesome!

Thanks, all!

True... but, I dare not completely neglect either the MP or the BP, so I thought alternating the two might be best for my immediate goal...
Good luck! I had considered a similar template for powerlifting, so I'm excited to see how yours goes.

I like the 100% x 5 and 90% x 5 reps scheme. I added 80% x 5 with a short rest, for more volume. I found it added, took nothing away, and cost little time and energy until my working weights got higher then I dropped it.

5-3-2 only works for me on short rest or increasing weight on each set. Far prefer the 2 x 5 version.

I added stuff to fill an hour because that is me.

Benching and MP on alternating days is awesome. A Press is a Press in my opinion. Specific variety. I find when I only foucus on MP I leave a lot of strength off the bar because of the comparative light weight used. The Bench is the undisputed upper body exercise, but the MP is an expression of total body strength and tension. Do it for sure. Two complementary exercises.

Squat on a MP day the bar is already on the J Hooks. Squatting PTTP sylhet one day a week, with PGSQT daily, with maintain your strength and technique.

10lb jumps on DL and reset weight with 5lb jumps? Your DL will progress faster than pressing. Do you have fractional change plates maybe smaller jumps on MP would be more sustainable.

You mentioned Plate changing. I set up the bar at the 90% or 80%. Whatever. Then make your 100% up with change plates. Easy to strip for your lower sets. I never tried nderstand people's aversion to loading, and unloading a barbell.

Solid plan. You could just call it a PTTP style program.

And you have plenty of time to change load with 3-5 minute rest between sets.

I stayed away from 5,3,2 because I am time-poor and didnt want to insert an extra rest.

Thanks @Geoff Chafe, great inputs. Yes have 2.5, 5, and 10 lb plates available.

What is PGSQT? I do goblet squats almost daily for warm-ups and often more than once a day when I have training sessions with students, so yes I do get a fair amount of lighter squatting. I am thinking one day a week with some weight on the bar will be good. I like the idea of doing it on MP day; probably Wednesday.

I'll try the 100% x 5 and 90% x 5 reps scheme first and maybe the 5, 3, 2 some day if that just seems better.

I"m not sure how far/fast to progress the jumps, I guess I'll just see how it goes.

Like Geoff says, just a PTTP style program... One of my other objectives is just to get familiar with how another program works so I can expand my knowledge for both myself and for students.

I like that! The less plate switching, the better. I can warm up with kettlebells, and then go right for the weight of the day on the barbell.

Where do I find PTTP 2.0?
Read on the forum that it's either in the Russian version of the book, or just something Pavel said at some point - the idea being to get more volume without wearing you out.

Haven't run PTTP myself so I would certainly defer to those who have done it (especially those who tried both ways!). I myself like the idea of less plate switching, but if it was getting heavy I can also imagine "looking forward" to a lighter set of 5 than two more heavy sets (albeit less reps) and it taking more time overall for rest.

@Anna C, I've done PTTP with three lifts but they were press, pullup, deadlift. I'm not sure how mixing the two presses will work. Where are you, relative to the requirements of the cert, with each?

-S-

PGSQT is my abbreviation for Prying Goblet Squat.

For Fractional change plates I am referring to .25kg-1kg or 1/2lb-2lb plates. Smaller progression works better for exercises like MP. At times of my Weightlifting career we focused on just 1kg per day in total load. Whether on a Clean, Snatch, Pull, or Squat it didn't matter. Over years 1/2kg here and 1kg there adds up to some big numbers.

Where are you, relative to the requirements of the cert, with each?

Here is where I am relative to the SFL cert requirements at a body weight of 160. The 1RMs mentioned below are as tested the week of 24 July (and shown in the video here), but I feel they are still about right today.

Strength Tests:
1 rep: DL 240; my 1RM was 275... feeling pretty confident on that one
1 rep: Bench Press 120; my 1RM was 130... need to maintain and make sure I can do it with the pause as required

Technique Tests:
5 reps: Back Squat 120; my IRM was 185 and have done up to 9 reps with 145... I feel like I have plenty of reserve on this
5 reps: DL 160... Have done up to 7 reps with 225, so I have this easily
5 reps: Military Press 80; 1RM is 100 and 5RM probably 85... this one is hard, but I think I have it with a slight margin

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom