all posts post new thread

Barbell A few weeks of PTTP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Anna C, those lifts look good. I don't know that you're taking 3-5 seconds, but whatever you're doing, it looks OK to me.

-S-

Just timed it and you're right, not quite 3 seconds each direction on the DL and even less on the press. 5 seconds would seem verrrrry slow! But yes I think this is a good speed and I'll stick with it for now.

@Anna C Lifts look great! Stay the course... It's very rare in most gyms nowadays to see military press in such good form. If you bench in a tight style, there will be lots of carryover, as lats and tris used heavily. I think you're right in the right pace- my personal theory is good weightlifters are focused on their lifts and form, and don't actually time them. When I read "3-5 seconds" in this context, it just means "smooth and under control the whole time" and you're def right in there. Keep up the good work!

@AnnaC For what it's worth, that's about the speed I used with success in the past doing PTTP, so closer to 2 secs than 3-5.

I´m doing a recovery program for patellar tendinopathy, which indicates 3 second eccentric and 3 second concentric. Each rep feels like an eternity, specially for zercher squats.

Good lifts. The timing seems good to me. Just keep doing what you are doing and enjoy the SFL. I hope you don't mind lifting with the sound of Metallica. :)

A clarification regarding the point I brought up in post #47 above...

PTTP pg 68: "Apart from safety, there are many reasons to lift and lower your weights slowly: three to five seconds on the way up and three to five on the way down is the Power to the People! rule."

.... is that later in the deadlift section, Pavel says "For most exercises the rule of thumb is to lower the weight with control. The deadlift is an exception. An attempt to slowly lower the bar tens to throw the weight forward and overstress your back. ... The proper way to get the bar home is to quickly push your glutes back - sitting in a chair, remember? -- and let the bar nearly fall to the floor."

So now that I did my few weeks of PTTP, I think I have it straight. For a basic barbell deadlift: Lift slowly, lower fairly quickly.

There's a lot of knowledge in that book. I'm finding a lot of gold that I can use in teaching the hows and whys of lifting to even the most basic beginner students.

As for my "few weeks of PTTP", it went well! Details are in my training log if anyone is interested:
Week 1: https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/anna-c-training-log.5881/page-41#post-140529
Week 2: https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/anna-c-training-log.5881/page-41#post-141666
Week 3: https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/anna-c-training-log.5881/page-41#post-142796

Basically I ended up doing DL and MP on M/Tu/Th/Fri, and BP and SQ on Wed. Rest on Sat and bike ride on Sun.

I definitely feel stronger, but won't attempt to measure the gains... just wanted to be as ready as possible for SFL weekend, and I do feel that it was great for that.

It's scientifically proved that lifting the bar as fast as posible produces greater results in hypertrophy (miofibrillar and sarcoplasmic).

It's scientifically proved that lifting the bar as fast as posible produces greater results in hypertrophy (miofibrillar and sarcoplasmic).
I don't necessarily argue against that, because I have read the works of Chad Waterbury, but you can't come in and just post a single sentence stating something as proven, without citing a study or something that actually proofs it.

Hello from the morning of Day 2 of the SFL in Charleston, SC!

We did the strength tests yesterday, the bench press and deadlift based on bodyweight. I got the 250 lb deadlift solidly. However I did not make the 125 lb bench press. I did a 110 just prior and it was pretty difficult, so wasn't too surprised. This is after testing 1RM in August at 130, but obviously I did not do enough to maintain it, having focused on the MP and DL for these past few weeks.

So those of you that suggested doing more BP were right, haha. But it's OK, we are covering the bench press in depth today and I will have some good practice weeks after I get home, and send a video in to complete the requirements for the SFL certificate. Of course we still have a lot to go yet, including the technique tests tomorrow on back squat, deadlift, and military press, 5 reps each.

The cert weekend is fantastic so far. I'm learning a ton from Doc Hartle, and the assistants, the owners of the Charleston Kettlebell Club (Brett and Mike) are awesome as well. Yesterday after the strength testing we covered zercher squats, front squats, and military press. Today will be back squats, bench press, and good morning. Deadlifts and testing on Sunday.

As for the issue of the speed of the bar, what I've gathered is take it nice and slow. When you've mastered the movement, then you can speed it up! Simple.

We also have 4 hours about programming; first hour yesterday and three today. Really interesting stuff!

I'll likely post a review of the cert weekend elsewhere, but wanted to give an update here relative to the PTTP prep.

One more follow-up here, I finished the SFL cert weekend and all the rest went well. I learned so much!!! Fantastic location, nice small group, top notch instruction from Doc Hartle, and an SFL manual chock full of gold. I have so much more confidence in the lifts now, and have added a few to the repertoire: front squat, zercher squat, and good morning. And of course now I know how to bench press properly. I'll be working on this one.

My prep did serve me well today, as I passed the three technique tests solidly: 5 back squats at 125 lb, 5 MP at 85 lb, and 5 deadlifts at 170 lb. The presses I attribute to the PTTP cycle for sure. So there's a win, relative to this thread! That is quite a hard standard to meet; in fact, 2 of the 4 women there missed the military presses. Testing is hard at the end of a VERY challenging weekend of a lot of lifting. Other than that everyone did really well. We were a good team.

We covered a LOT of programming, and I was really glad to have tried PTTP in addition to 5/3/1 before going. It gave me valuable experience with different ways to go about progression, and all the programming information made a lot more sense to me than if I hadn't done these two programs.

Anyway thanks again everyone for your inputs here on this thread, you helped me towards a very successful weekend!

Congrats.
Now that you have improved your knowledge of the bench press, and considering that you already did meet the requirement previously, getting the lift in the next 6 months is going to be easy.

The SFL is a wonderful experience. Even though I did not pass the bench press, so am not certified, my students noticed the difference. Yours will love your new barbell coaching abilities.
The SFL is just that great.

One more follow-up here, I finished the SFL cert weekend and all the rest went well. I learned so much!!! Fantastic location, nice small group, top notch instruction from Doc Hartle, and an SFL manual chock full of gold. I have so much more confidence in the lifts now, and have added a few to the repertoire: front squat, zercher squat, and good morning. And of course now I know how to bench press properly. I'll be working on this one.

My prep did serve me well today, as I passed the three technique tests solidly: 5 back squats at 125 lb, 5 MP at 85 lb, and 5 deadlifts at 170 lb. The presses I attribute to the PTTP cycle for sure. So there's a win, relative to this thread! That is quite a hard standard to meet; in fact, 2 of the 4 women there missed the military presses. Testing is hard at the end of a VERY challenging weekend of a lot of lifting. Other than that everyone did really well. We were a good team.

We covered a LOT of programming, and I was really glad to have tried PTTP in addition to 5/3/1 before going. It gave me valuable experience with different ways to go about progression, and all the programming information made a lot more sense to me than if I hadn't done these two programs.

Anyway thanks again everyone for your inputs here on this thread, you helped me towards a very successful weekend!

With regards to 5/3/1 and PTTP, which do you think helped the most? I'm considering one or the other to start rebuilding my strength after a loooonnng lay off.

With regards to 5/3/1 and PTTP, which do you think helped the most? I'm considering one or the other to start rebuilding my strength after a loooonnng lay off.

Hmm... great question, but I don't think I have an answer for you. I think it has more to do with what phase of training you are in, your recovery, and how well you actually carry out the program than it would the specific program in your case.

Do you have a coach? Are you confident in your technique? Do you still move as well as you did before your long layoff? Do you still feel strong?

I think I'd say go with the one that lets you practice the lifts. With PTTP, you get almost daily practice but you can only really work on two at a time. With 5/3/1 you can work 3 or 4, but you only do each one once a week.

I think it depends how you like to train and how accessible a bar is for you.

PttP works great if you have a home gym. Short, daily training sessions that are so brief there is really no time excuse for skipping a session.

I view it as an easy / or lazy way to do a decent amount of volume over the course of a week without ever being sore or struggling to recover.

@Anna C- Great job on completing the SFL, that's great! I'm not sure if you plan on another strength cycle anytime soon but if you are check out 5,3,1 Boring But Strong's template. On your DL and Press day your assistance work is usually 5 x 5 of squat and BP. The opposite for your squat and BP days. While your 5 x 5 work is at a lower weight you still get the extra work without the extra strain on the CNS as well as joints and soft tissue.

Again, well done on completing the SFL!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom