all posts post new thread

Bodyweight A good BW pullup program while deadlifting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pats

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello everyone,

I'm currently deadlifting 2 days a week and 2h KB swings another 2 days a week.

I was interested in adding some tactical pullups to my program as per this article:
The 5TRM Back Squat Program

My problem is that the pullup bars at my gym suck so I can't "just" do pullups after my deadlift sets.
Luckily, I have a very good pullup bar at home but I was just wondering when I should to them.

For info, after my DL session, I do some biceps curls, and after the swings, low intensity cardio, before heading home.

Should the pullups be performed before heading to the gym or maybe on entirely separate days?

Thank you!

@Pats, as long as there is at least a half-hour between the deadlifts and pull-ups, the order shouldn't matter too much. In general, I'd put pull-ups first if I could but the more time between, the less difference it makes.

We should also note, of course, that how hard you're pushing yourself at either lift also makes a difference, i.e., if you're lifting far from failure and exhaustion, then doing your pull-ups after your deadlifts will be fine but, OTOH, if you're going really hard at deadlifts, pull-ups 30 minutes later might not work so well.

-S-

@pet' I did but I think it's too high volume for me.

@Steve Freides, For my deadlifts, around 80% hard I would say, but my priority is definitely the DL. If 30 min after the DL would "only" affect my pullup numbers and not the DL, I'm OK with that!

IMO - if your goal is a bigger deadlift then I would not do pullups before and def. not at the same time (as in between deadlift sets) this will fry you quickly.

I would either do your pullups after or on an off day. But rest the day before your heavy Deadlift day.

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your reply!

I ended doing my pullup training on a separate day but will take your advice and not do any before my heavy DL days.

One question though, I'm only interested in upping my pullup number now (hoping of participating in a TSC next year) and as I said, I can only do pullups at home where I don't have access to any extra weight (so no weighted pullups). Between ladder training (a la ETK OR 5TRM Program) and the fighter pullup program, which one should I go for now?

I will only train my pullups 2 to 3 times MAX per week.

Thank you!

Hello,

Different methods exist:

=> Do as much rep as you can within a precise time (eg; as much as you can in 5 minutes). At each training, you try to increase your number
=> Do 5 - 6 sets of max reps, with only 20 to 25s rest between sets

I've tested both methods and both have worked for me.

Kind regards,

Pet'

yes agree many different methods, Fighter pull up program is great and GTG is great. You an also wave the load by doing some reps slower to make them harder and some faster for higher rep. So negatives are great strength builders also.

A few sets of pull-ups after deadlifting should be a staple in any program.

How does a pull-up bar suck? You just need something you can hold on to, and pull yourself up to.

I guess I'll focus a bit on the FPP for now, I can do around 12-13 pullups now with good form for info, hoping to reach 20 by the end of the year!

@Geoff Chafe, how to explain, it's not a bar but handles that for me, are very far apart and I can't hold get the exact hold I want, also it's a bit too thin for my liking.

Pats
I have been doing pull ups after deadlifts via FPP for several weeks and have not felt that the combination was counter productive. If I was doing curls as you are doing that would likely hinder the process. Also, our dead lift workouts could differ greatly in terms of volume and intensity. I have done the FPP several times and my one suggestion would be to start with a conservative number so that your first couple of rounds are not at all difficult. The volume will build soon enough. Even if you started at 7-6-5-4-3 you can add intensity to the easier sets (in this case lets say 4-3) by strapping on some weight, doing an extended hold at the top or as Karen Smith suggested going slow. Don't be embarrassed to start at a low number of reps....you will still be doing GTG as the volume builds. I make sure to rest at least 3 minutes between sets. The FPP is one of my favorite programs and I believe you will find it very useful.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom