all posts post new thread

Old Forum A good reason not to do crossfit

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The fact that Crossfit (apparently) didn't knuckle under to this travesty makes me strangely fond of them.

Bill, agreed.  This story has so many levels and is such a part of the milieu that a journalist could write a bestseller.  How can someone covered in tattoos sue for emotional distress?  Lawsuits make running a business scary and indirectly erode the freedom to be an adult.  There have been several good discussions on this forum about the pros and cons of lumbar flexion; it would be a shame if grownups can't talk because of legal fears.

Wow.  I had a wonderful response laid out about the difficulties of respecting someone's gender identity even though it is something you may not entirely understand and the inherent difficulties that someone who only recently made their body match their brain makes must have in making their identity fit into the world world around them and how confusing and frustrating that must be for them.

Then I saw that she was using an over/under grip on a 95lb deadlift and I said "eff that".

I have to disagree to a point. I spent a lot of time in the military back in the 90's and then again in the early 2000's. I never saw anyone with rhabdo going through selection and that was a crossfit like ball buster. Pushups to failure, sit-ups to failure, pull-ups to failure, rope climbs, runs, rucking and repeat over 3-4 weeks daily .I was so sore I could barely raise my arms to brush my teeth. Did I have a mild case of rhabdo, maybe. It was unheard of back then. I have only seen one case in my life and the person did it to them self. They stayed out partying, drinking, smoking (never done before), and dipping snuff (never done before). I have watched 1000's, and I literally mean 1000's, over the course of 3 yrs go through crossfit wods in a certain institution and saw only one case.  I don't think crossfit causes rhabdo in and of itself. If you take a seriously untrained slob and teach the KB swing and they knock off 300 swings in a short time could they get rhabdo, maybe.

Yep, Matt et al: you had rhabdo. I figure I've seen my share of it. Technically speaking, I've had it at least once. Unwittingly, so have most of y'all. After my last marathon, I felt pretty fresh, so I headed to the ER to check my CPK just for giggles. Not quite 3,000...pretty nothing # (see below), but counts. Kidney failure in rhabdo is a rarity, if you maintain good hydration. It's not the CPK that gets you into trouble. CPK is just the marker we look for to see if rhabdo is there. Myoglobin is the culprit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoglobin if you're curious).

There's party tricks (alkalinize the urine, etc), but the mainstay is volume. We had a guy who did cocaine in summer in Mobile, whose CK was well over 200k. Kidney numbers never budged. If memory serves, rhabdo from trauma has a much higher rate of kidney failure....I guess b/c all the myoglobin is released at once

Purely from the POV of a military kid, what really gets my goat about CrossFit is the sheer number of dudes I've seen get hurt over the years as a result of that meatheaded mentality so prevalent in that particular culture.  While I very seldom offer unsolicited advice in the gym (if I suspect someone is about to hurt himself), I can't help but roll my eyes wetly in their sockets when I see (I swear, this is no exaggeration) guys performing so-called "American KB swings" while perched precariously on those half-Bosu ball things.  It's bemusing to witness, and it's downright irritating when the guys and gals I'm coaching who are new to the concept of intelligent physical training see this and wonder why we're not doing that, too.

Case in point, just the other day, one of my new charges who had just learned the TGU this week was practicing her swings under my watchful eye as two guys were performing some of the most awful get-ups I've seen in a long time--it was pretty much a "how many things can you find wrong with this picture?" moment, but there was no discreet way for me to make this a learning experience for her.  Instead, I could see her slightly puzzled expression, and I could tell she was curious as to why I had not taught her in the same style.

Maybe we just need to start looking for a new place to train...

@ Matt Jenson, you are right, it is a matter of training with a proper training program and technique.

There is " no good reason not to do Crossfit " as there is no good reason not to do any sports, what about injuries in boxing, horses riding, dirt bike ....??????footy OZ rules ??? Etc...

http://www.t-nation.com/training/in-defense-of-crossfit

since we have several t-nation articles on about the same subject. One more couldn't hurt. Oh wait, it's a bit diffrent.

@ Sean : don't understand the relation with the guy vomiting in doing a too heavy squat with a bad technique, who certainly ate or drink too much or to close to his squat with Crossfit.

Anyway, a lot of people are vomiting during a effort or after, but a big effort, mainly because of  error of timing in nutrition. They are NOT professionals most of the time.

I am also wondering why there is so agressivity against Crossfit on this forum, I am also wondering who is training Crossfit ? A lot of Internet copies, but not a lot of experience, finally...

Staley has had a couple of weak articles ripping P90X and running.  Neither are his best effort.  In his defense, EDT with kettlebells is some of the best workouts you can do.

I can appreciate the stimulus that Crossfit provides, however repping out deadlifts for time is sheer stupidity..

Christine,

I think it is because frankly Crossfit brings up emotions. For every great thing about crossfit there is an equally stupid one. So either you love it for the good or hate it for the bad. Humans always tend to see things black or white not shades of grey.

The only bad thing with Crossfit are the coaches that prescribe dangerous and ineffective exercise to clients who dont know any better. That, and allowing repetition hang/snatch/overhead squats with a bar.

I see it as scattered training for scattered people; an indication of society?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom