all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ok, so I am tweaking my training just a bit and changing my first goal (I should probably change my thread name?). My goal is now to successfully complete a GoRuck Tough event. I am adding 3 lsd runs a week, dropping my rucking to one day a week and keeping S&S to 2 - hopefully 3 times a week.

New schedule as follows:

Monday- body weight calisthenics
Tuesday- S&S
Wednesday- body weight calisthenics
Thursday- lsd run 1 hour
Friday- Ruck workout 1.5 hours
Saturday- S&S with lsd run for 1 hour
Sunday- lsd run 1 hour and recovery

Due to a crazy schedule I need to workout only in the morning which limits my workout time to about an hour. I have homework, family, a full time job and other commitments that make additional workouts push my sleep from 5 hours a night to 4 or less. So I’m trying this new focus and I will see how this works. My new sleep schedule is 9pm-4am. Hopefully this will “fix” the “problem”.

Due to a meeting at 5:30AM I decided to do S&S because of time constraints. Something tells me that my plan will constantly go back to S&S - which is a good thing!

Foam rolled 20x each muscle group

3x5 Goblet Squats
3x5 Hip Bridges
3x5 Halos (5 L, 5R, 5 L/R)

8x10 Swings 24kg
Alternating 24kg and 16kg Getups
(1/1 24, 1/1 16, 1/1 24, 1/1 24, 1/1 16)

Feeling very strong. Decided to throw the 24kg in for Getups and surprised myself with doing really well.

Decided to try to snatch the 16 just to test my strength. Did 3 with a press at the top with each arm.

Went for the 24.... snatched AND pressed it once on both arms!

Did not train at all yesterday.

Did a 50 minute lsd run today.

Feeling like my breathing is getting easier.

Not quite where I want to be with the workout schedule, but optimistic that this week will be better.

Ruck workout today

Run 2 laps with 30lb ruck

Then: (everything with the ruck)

4 sets of 15 push-ups, squats, ruck curls, ruck overhead press, and ruck pulls. Then run one lap. Repeat.

After the circuit: 30 flutter kicks, 26 mason twists. 1/1 60lb sand bag get ups, and 3/3 16kg bell getups.

@Michael Scott, I was reading your workout log and noticed that you did commando rocks and shoulder dislocates for your warmup. How do those work for you? I’m thinking about incorporating that into my workout plan. Does it help strengthen as well as warmup?

@Timothy Friel, how have the lsd runs helped you with active recovery and building up your body’s ability to handle stress and working out? @aciampa recommended I do 3-5 of them a week to help prepare for GoRuck training. I have to admit I was skeptical but I feel that 2 runs this week have already helped me tremendously.

@Michael Scott, I was reading your workout log and noticed that you did commando rocks and shoulder dislocates for your warmup. How do those work for you? I’m thinking about incorporating that into my workout plan. Does it help strengthen as well as warmup?

@Timothy Friel, how have the lsd runs helped you with active recovery and building up your body’s ability to handle stress and working out? @aciampa recommended I do 3-5 of them a week to help prepare for GoRuck training. I have to admit I was skeptical but I feel that 2 runs this week have already helped me tremendously.
@Steve Rogers I feel that I recover better between sets of snatches. My heart rate drops quicker and breathing returns to normal faster.

They work great for me. Not so much strengthen, but they do loosen everything up quite well. Between the halos/shoulder dislocates and the commando rocks/goblet squats, I am usually good to go once I complete my warm up. Whether I am performing the Soju & Tuba or S&S, this warm up gets me loose & ready to go every night.

Pre-ruck

Ruck 1 mile 25 push-ups, 25 squats.
Ruck 1 mile 25 push-ups, 25 squats
Ruck 1 mile 25 push-ups, 25 squats
Ruck 1/2 mile.

Rest 5 minutes

25 jumping jacks
2 burpees
Arm stretch left/right
4 burpees
10 tempo-squats
8 burpees
10 push-ups
10 burpees

Dips and sit-ups/ decline push-ups and jump squats
11: 1:10, 2:9, 3:8, 4:7, 5:6, 6:5, 7:4, 8:3, 9:2, 10:1

2 rounds of mason twists, sit-ups, burpees, run up a hill do push-ups at the top, and run back. 20, and 15

Did not have time for an lsd run tonight. Tried S&S instead. Did not feel RIGHT somehow. Almost like I had lost all my strength. Swings felt harder and I just felt incredibly weak. Probably from my workout yesterday...not too sure.

Copying @Michael Scott with the warmup:

10 Commando Rocks
10 Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretch
90/90 Stretch

Then I jumped into Swings

2x10 Swings 24kg

That felt terrible so I tested Getups

1 Right Getup 24kg.

That one getup wore me out and felt wobbly, so I decided to call it a night. I just hope I didn’t make a bad decision to do a ruck run/workout tomorrow.

How did you like this warmup @Steve Rogers?

I’m not really sure. I was probably doing the commando rocks and shoulder dislocates wrong because I felt a lot of pain in my shoulders. I’m also not sure if that impacted my Swings at all, but this morning my neck and shoulders were really tight and in a lot of pain. I might watch the video again. I also think my shoulder muscles are just really tight which means I may need to warm and loosen them up before the commando rocks and dislocates.

Worked out this AM. Another boot camp style workout.

5 minute of various torturous exercises. Did several of these. Lots of burpees, box jumps, squats, and lunges. It was basically leg day.

• 5 minutes of 10 Plank Jacks, 10 Box Jumps, 10 Bulgarian Lunges
  • Sprint in the parking lot (down and Back) 10 Burpees, Sprint (D&B) 10 Star Jumps, Sprint (D&B) MTN Climbers
  • Jog to the new bathroom parking lot
  • 5 minutes of 10 Squats, 10 Squat Jacks, 10 Snowboarders
  • Bear Crawl (down and reverse Back) 10 Burpees, Bear Crawl (D&B) 10 Star Jumps, Bear Crawl(D&B) MTN Climbers
  • Mosey to the Pavillion
  • 5 minutes of 10 Mericans, 10 Dips, 10 Dry Docks
  • Sprint next to the dugouts (down and Back) 10 Burpees, Sprint (D&B) 10 Star Jumps, Sprint (D&B) MTN Climbers
  • Run to the AO
  • 5 minutes of 10 Squats, 10 Squat Jacks, 10 Snowboarders
  • Bear Crawl (down and reverse Back) 10 Burpees, Bear Crawl (D&B) 10 Star Jumps, Bear Crawl(D&B) MTN Climbers
For those of you who are interested. I workout with a group of guys outside doing boot camp style workouts. Metric and are push-ups.

What exactly are these exercises? I run the conditioning program for my rugby club, and I am always looking for new exercises to challenge the team.

Snowboarders are when you get in a snowboard or skateboard stance (feet shoulder width apart) and then you bend your knees slightly into a quarter squat. From there you spring up into the air and turn your body 180 degrees and land in the same stance. It’s on a 1 count so jump-switch 180-jump switch back =1.

Mericans are just good-ol-fashioned push-ups. We do these at a 4 count.

Dips are just like using a bench or table to do regular dips on. Place your hands behind your back with your palms facing the bench or table. Place your hands on the table or bench and lower your body until you get a 90 degree bend in your elbows.

Dry docks are like A-frame push-ups. It’s more focused on shoulders. Get in the push-up position, stick your butt up in the air creating the A-frame that Drill Instructors always hate and lower your head down between your hands. When you are about an inch off the ground come back up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom