all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yup - fell off the horse again. I don’t have any excuses and as the saying goes: excuses are like a-holes....everybody has one!

Throat punched Monday in the face today. Back on the horse:

Army PFT test

85 push-ups under 2 minutes
70 something sit-ups under 2 minutes
2 miles around 14 minutes (slow)

Rest a bit

10push-ups - carry 65lbs 150m - 1 burpee
9 push-ups - farmer carry 35lb - 2 burpees
8 push-ups - farmer carry 70lb - 3 burpees
7 push-ups - carry 65lbs - 4 burpees
6 push-ups - carry 65lbs - 5 burpees
5 push-ups - farmer carry 35lb - 6 burpees
4 push-ups - carry 65lbs - 7 burpees
3 push-ups - carry 65lbs - 8 burpees
2 push-ups - carry 65lbs - 9 burpees
1 push-up - carry 65lbs - 10 burpees

Rest

15 rows and 15 overhead presses: 70lb kettlebell/ 35lb kettlebell/ 65lb sandbag
Run 800m / Run 1200m / Run 1600m

Monday done.

Two for two!

Started off really sore and weak. Finished strong.

Warmup (kept it simple)

5 Goblet Squats 12kg
5 Hip Bridges
10 Halos 12kg
5 Goblet Squats 16kg
5 Hip Bridges
5 Halos 16kg
5 Goblet Squats 16kg
5 Hip Bridges
5 Halos 24kg

Rest 30 seconds

5x10 Swings 24kg

Rest 1 minute

5/5 Getups 24kg

Progressed up in weight during the warmup. Started very light and as my muscles began to warm up I added the 16 and 24. Felt good so started my swings out with the 24. That felt good so I tried my getups with the 24. I took my time during the Getups - resting when I needed to, and redoing a phase if I didn’t think I did it right. I’m very satisfied with my performance today.

Took yesterday off due to extreme soreness and the holiday.
Back at it this morning:

lsd run 58minutes 32 push-ups at halfway point

3x10 Swings 24kg

Definitely pushed the s portion of the lsd run today. Kept breathing through my nose the entire time though! Added some Kettlebell work just to loosen up more and maybe even grease the groove a bit. I honestly don’t know the GTG technique so I may look at that for push-ups, and pull-ups.

Today has just been one of those days, but I want to commit to my workout plan so I put some time in

Warmup
1st set 12kg, 2nd set 16kg, 3rd set 24kg
3x5 Goblet Squats
3x5 Hip Bridges
3x5 Halos

Swings 5x10 24kg
Presses 2/2 16kg
Get up 1 Left 24kg
10 pushups slow

I used IronMind bands to loosen my hands up after all that crushing. So far my hands feel pretty good.

I just felt weak tonight so I'm not pushing it. I'll try it again

So very glad I did not push it last night. I just read the Greasing the Groove approach and found the research fascinating. All my time in the military I was always taught to push until maximum failure. I even had Rhabdomyalisis after I got out because I was too stupid to listen to my body. You would have thought that getting Rhabdo a year ago would have woken me up, but unfortunately I did a pullup challenge where I did 152 pullups within an hour or so. The results were: soreness, stiffness, extreme failure, and constant exhaustion all last week.

Hopefully I have learned by now...

Warmup
3x5 Goblet Squats 12kg, 16kg, 16kg
3x5 HB
3x5 Halos 5/5 12, 16kg, 16kg

Wanted to jump up to the 24kg for the warmup but stayed with the 16kg. Glad I did!

Swings 5x10 24kg
Get ups 5/5 16kg, 24kg, 16kg, 24kg, 16kg pausing 5 seconds with the 16kg

Soju and Tuba
16kg 4x1

Even though I wanted to jump up and crush the 24kg in the Get up I think my body knew better and this time I listened. So I decided to pause 5 seconds at each transition point with the 16kg. The 16kg felt very light and the pause helped me really dial in my technique. I finished the S&S portion feeling pretty good.

I have recently wanted to increase pressing strength after trying to press a 65lb sandbag over my head with some guys training for a goruck heavy, tough, light. So I took Michael Scott's Soju and Tuba press program.

I have to also mention here that my motivation for getting up today is my wife. She recently joined a ladies group that workout outside rain, shine, or storm doing bootcamp style workouts. She didn''t get any sleep last night because of our daughter and she chose to go out and make herself better. I don't know where all my discipline and motivation has gone, but it sure as hell is back now!

Today's workout

25 side straddle hops
20 arm circles forward and backward

Route 66

Start at one light pole and do 1 rep adding reps until light pole 11. So 1,2,3,4,5...

Burpees Run back down
Situps

Run to the next Route 66

Squat jumps
Pushups

Run to the bottom of a big hill and do 20 squats
Run up the hill
Grab a rock and do 20 squats and 20 presses

Run back to the start

Run 2 miles in all.

Woke up rough. Finished strong.

Warmup
3x5 Goblet Squats 16kg
3x5 Hip Bridges
3x5 Halos (5/5) 16kg

5x10 Swings 24kg
5/5 TGU 16,24,16,24,16
Every minute on the minute and pause 5 seconds for 16kg with TGU

Soju and Tuba
6x1 16kg Press

Attempted to do 3 perfect pull ups and 5 perfect pushups between Soju and Tuba sets, but the pull ups were wiping me out too quickly so I dropped both. I plan on Greasing The Groove all day with 3 pullups and 5 pushups - it will probably look more like GTG before work every hour, and then GTG after work.

NEW PLAN!

Since lsd runs are important I'm going to start doing those more frequently. Here is the new plan (that will probably change in about 30 days)...

Sunday - S&S (Rest)
Monday LSD and Bootcamp
Tuesday S&S Soju & Tuba
Wednesday LSD and Bootcamp
Thursday S&S Soju & Tuba
Friday RUCK
Saturday S&S Soju & Tuba

Bootcamp is just running, pushups, high intensity training etc.

Last edited:
Worked out Saturday instead of Friday. Then took Sunday off.

Workout

15 burpee/bench jumps
10 dips
10 burpee/bench jumps
10 dips
5 burpee/bench jumps
10 dips

ran

pick up a rock and do:

15 curls, presses and bent over rows
sprint 25m x5

squats - sprint - pushups 1/6. 1,2,3,4,5,6 Squats 6,5,4,3,2,1 pushups

Rucked and sweated yesterday:

Ruck about 3-4 miles with 40lbs. Stop and do 20 pushups and 20 squats every mile.
Finish with a 1:3 walk/sprint up a hill. walk one light pole, sprint 3 light poles alternating until we reached the top of the hill.

The Beatdown

15 pushups
sprint 100m
15 situps
sprint 100m
15 4-count row boats
next station: 15 dry docks
next station: 5 burpee pullups
next station: 20 bench dips
next station: 15 decline pushups
next station: 15 box jumps

repeat 2-3 times

Run to the bottom of a hill.

20 squat jumps at the bottom: 5 pushups at the top
15 squat jumps at the bottom: 10 pushups at the top
10 squat jumps at the bottom: 15 pushups at the top
5 squat jumps at the bottom: 20 pushups at the top

Partner pushups
15, 10, 5

hold a lazy boy for 1 minute

Finally got in some S&S today

Warmup
3x5 Goblet Squats 16kg
3x5 Hip Bridges
3x5 Halos 16kg

8x10 Swings 24kg

5/5 TGU 24kg

Soju & Tuba

4x1 16kg Press (left and right)

Bumped up to 8 rounds for swings this time. It was hard but if I keep it consistent I think it will get easier over time. The TGUs were a little tough but I feel like my form is solidifying. Overall I felt like it was good. I dis the S&T program starting back at day one because I have not been consistent with weight lifting. I want to make the S&S S&T program more consistent for me to see if my strength gains go up more consistently.

The only way I will end up staying consistent with S&S or S&T for that matter will be to not give myself any reason for an excuse to not workout. I was able to do that in the Marines, I need to apply that same discipline now if I'm going to get anywhere I want to go. So here is the hard and fast rule: Workout everyday with S&S regardless of the amount of sleep, excuses, etc. If I'm hurting - still workout, just do a light workout.

Goal: Achieve S&S Simple.
Plan: S&S daily until Simple standard has been met.

The only reason I am doings S&S daily is because I can get lazy on my off days, so if I am constantly pushing myself to workout everyday I can't get lazy.

This is going to happen. I will only be posting my S&S progress on this training log until I reach Simple. I'm doing other workouts but I will just post that I did calisthenics or an lsd run instead of diving into the nitty gritty.

Waving the load is a good idea. The lighter days, focus on form, focus on technique, fine tune your movements those days. Then, take those adjustments to the regular days, the difference can be one of those WTH moments.

The only way I will end up staying consistent with S&S or S&T for that matter will be to not give myself any reason for an excuse to not workout. I was able to do that in the Marines, I need to apply that same discipline now if I'm going to get anywhere I want to go. So here is the hard and fast rule: Workout everyday with S&S regardless of the amount of sleep, excuses, etc. If I'm hurting - still workout, just do a light workout.

Goal: Achieve S&S Simple.
Plan: S&S daily until Simple standard has been met.

The only reason I am doings S&S daily is because I can get lazy on my off days, so if I am constantly pushing myself to workout everyday I can't get lazy.

This is going to happen. I will only be posting my S&S progress on this training log until I reach Simple. I'm doing other workouts but I will just post that I did calisthenics or an lsd run instead of diving into the nitty gritty.

S&S

3x5 Goblet Squats 16
3x5 Hip Bridges
3x5 Halos 16

5x10 Swings 24
5/5 Getups 16

No Soju and Tuba today

Felt a little weak this morning so I took it slow and skipped Soju and Tuba.

WTH effect: Did my usual ruck run today. Had two major WTH moments, and I believe it can be directly related to S&S and Soju and Tuba.

Moment 1: Carried a 150lb sandbag on top of a 30lb ruck somewhat comfortably for 250m. I have carried this sandbag before - but the only pain I felt was from squeezing my lats trying to protect my back.

Moment 2: We did a circuit with squat presses - I know it was only 30lbs but we did bearcrawls and eight-counts so it added up. I felt strong after my workout. I felt recharged - not tired like I normally do.

I did do some GTG the past couple of days with pushups and noticed that I could do my eight-counts without breaking much of a sweat.

S&S tonight!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom