all posts post new thread
Just left a review on the website.

For people asking questions here (is it for BJJ only, how many programs, etc), this is what I wrote :

"If you are totally new to kettlebells, those videos are simply top quality, with a very structured approach and a complete package : breathing, mobility drills, progression to learn safely and effectively the needed exercises.
If you are not (like me, as an instructor who has participated in many certifications), it is still full of many important details. The breathing part might be the piece you were missing to fully develop powerful swings, over and over again in a single session. Or the way to integrate the right mobility drill at the right moment.

Some people have asked if it was only for BJJ practitionners.
Well, for sure, it is excellent for BJJ, as it will make you stronger, more powerful and endurant WHILE NOT stealing time and energy from the mat.

But the programming is also excellent for anyone who has a busy life and for whom recovery is a concern. At 45, I am still young, but I need to pay more attention to recovery.
These programs are simply perfect for me, as it will allow me to continue to train, get stronger, without being overly time-consuming and while leaving me plenty of energy for my life.

Yep, I wrote programS, plural, because it is a full package, from beginner to advanced. I know that my training is taken care of for the next 6 months !"

I am interested in buying the product, but I have a question. As a 50 yo Judoka in Ireland I have been out of the mat for more than a year and I have no idea when we will be allowed to play again. I understand the program is on a 3 day schedule, to allow recovery for the main dish, grappling, but that it is indicated for non-grapplers too. Is there any information on how to modify the schedule if someone is using only this program and not doing anything else?

I am interested in buying the product, but I have a question. As a 50 yo Judoka in Ireland I have been out of the mat for more than a year and I have no idea when we will be allowed to play again. I understand the program is on a 3 day schedule, to allow recovery for the main dish, grappling, but that it is indicated for non-grapplers too. Is there any information on how to modify the schedule if someone is using only this program and not doing anything else?
No, there isn't, really. But you could extend your TGU sessions within the guidelines and add an aerobic activity like running. Possibly also pullups.

So multiple exercises at the Beginners Level?
Beginner is swings and TGU, but a different programming than S&S, and it builds up through intermediate level. After intermediate, you have multiple options of either continuing with swings and TGU, or moving on to clean and jerks, then moving on to double clean and jerks. There are beginner and intermediate versions of all the moves as well, so there is kind of a matrix of options depending on your skill and strength level. For example, you could do cleans and push presses, cleans and presses, cleans and jerks, etc. Work your way up through progressions until you can do a certain time of EMOM while passing the talk test, then increase the weight and do it again.

There's a lot of options, but it is based on swings and TGU for beginners-intermediates, and if you are seeing good progress and don't want to change you could stick with that all the way to advance with some adjustments to the programming. Alternatively, you move on to cleans and various presses.

So multiple exercises at the Beginners Level?
Beginnner: Similar to S&S, but more A+A style + TGUs geared towards BJJ. Both exercises 3x per week.
Beginner is swings and TGU, but a different programming than S&S, and it builds up through intermediate level. After intermediate, you have multiple options of either continuing with swings and TGU, or moving on to clean and jerks, then moving on to double clean and jerks. There are beginner and intermediate versions of all the moves as well, so there is kind of a matrix of options depending on your skill and strength level. For example, you could do cleans and push presses, cleans and presses, cleans and jerks, etc. Work your way up through progressions until you can do a certain time of EMOM while passing the talk test, then increase the weight and do it again.

There's a lot of options, but it is based on swings and TGU for beginners-intermediates, and if you are seeing good progress and don't want to change you could stick with that all the way to advance with some adjustments to the programming. Alternatively, you move on to cleans and various presses.
In addition to that: There is an option of separating swings and TGUs for intermediate to advanced trainees, training each only 3x within two weeks, but in longer sessions (think strength aerobics / A+A)

I'm keen to hear feedback from those who have been doing it for a while around how it impacts their actual BJJ training. Eg do you do it on your off/non-rolling days? Same day? Does it make you sore? Do you feel it takes away from your rolling if done same day? Does it add value etc?
I'm liking it myself and try to do it on non-rolling days but curious how others are balancing the two.
Before lockdown I was training/rolling around 5x a week.
I found that doing S+S midday, and rolling in the Eve was by far the best way to train (for me). If I tried to lift midday I found I was too tired, but S+S (especially the get ups) primed my body really nicely for class.
I have bought this program and would say that it would be an excellent way to train, as it is fundamentally similar to S+S but with added flexibility for grapplers.
Hope that helps.

Hi All,

Long-time lurker, First post here. I have a couple of quick questions:

1) Is anyone able to tell me if this program includes shoulder mobility progressions to work towards getting under a double jerk?
2) One of the great things about S&S is that seems to offer a long term progression path which can be scaled from untrained beginner all the way up to advanced athlete. Does it provide progression Instructions to go from Swings&TGU's to LCCJ back to Swings and&TGU's in a progressive fashion- leading up to something like Sinister?
3) What is the starting percentage of body weight or rep max used for the 1st block of single bell LCCJ?

I have been quite happy running S&S without extras. I've been running timeless with a 36kg 4 days a week, and I'm very close to picking up the 44kg again. On my last 2 test Fridays, I have hit the timed standard with a 32kg- but I
feel there was a few performance flaws in breath control and 3-4 swing reps that were garbage. So I'm not ready to say I've claimed Simple yet- I will keep testing every 2nd Friday until I hit an Instagram-worthy performance.

As someone who did other double bell programs before getting into S&S, It took me a couple of months to 'get-it' and buy-in. By buy-in I mean really understand the benefits of throwing timer out the window, and going 100% explosive on all reps. I burn much more fat this way and always feel energetic and great. Looking to keep this same approach but with the single bell LCCJ in a manner that can be cycled back to swings and TGUs in blocks. I'm basically looking to stay fit and improve explosiveness for Hockey, and look good with no shirt on (LOL! ) . Anyone who plays hockey and lifts KBs , knows how much the LCCJ paralells the down-low and-in -the-corners aspect of Hockey. It's so spot on I can't believe more trainers don't implement this lift for high hockey level players.

Cheers!

Hi All,

Long-time lurker, First post here. I have a couple of quick questions:

1) Is anyone able to tell me if this program includes shoulder mobility progressions to work towards getting under a double jerk?
2) One of the great things about S&S is that seems to offer a long term progression path which can be scaled from untrained beginner all the way up to advanced athlete. Does it provide progression Instructions to go from Swings&TGU's to LCCJ back to Swings and&TGU's in a progressive fashion- leading up to something like Sinister?
3) What is the starting percentage of body weight or rep max used for the 1st block of single bell LCCJ?

I have been quite happy running S&S without extras. I've been running timeless with a 36kg 4 days a week, and I'm very close to picking up the 44kg again. On my last 2 test Fridays, I have hit the timed standard with a 32kg- but I
feel there was a few performance flaws in breath control and 3-4 swing reps that were garbage. So I'm not ready to say I've claimed Simple yet- I will keep testing every 2nd Friday until I hit an Instagram-worthy performance.

As someone who did other double bell programs before getting into S&S, It took me a couple of months to 'get-it' and buy-in. By buy-in I mean really understand the benefits of throwing timer out the window, and going 100% explosive on all reps. I burn much more fat this way and always feel energetic and great. Looking to keep this same approach but with the single bell LCCJ in a manner that can be cycled back to swings and TGUs in blocks. I'm basically looking to stay fit and improve explosiveness for Hockey, and look good with no shirt on (LOL! ) . Anyone who plays hockey and lifts KBs , knows how much the LCCJ paralells the down-low and-in -the-corners aspect of Hockey. It's so spot on I can't believe more trainers don't implement this lift for high hockey level players.

Cheers!
Welcome,

1. There is a bit of upper back and shoulder mobility drills, as well as various progressions to help aid in shoulder mobility.
2. Yes, there are tons of progressions along the way that are shown, and can be included in the programming based on skill level. I think this program actually includes a ton more progressions than S&S from ultra beginner to super advanced.
3. Starting weight on LCCJ is with your 6-12 RM.

While you are to pass the talk test in this training just like S&S, the difference is that you have to pass the talk test in a timed manner or your day is done. In S&S, you do all your reps, even if it takes longer. In this, your progression involves how many sets you can do in a timed manner while still passing the talk test (for swings and LCCJ, not for get-ups).
For example: "Switch to sets of 5 every 30sec and keep going until you fail the talk test. Carry on until
whichever comes first: you hit 20min (200 swings total) or, more likely, your progress stalls for
two weeks in a row."

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I’m going to pick this program up soon. I have resigned myself to sticking with S&S until I hit timeless with a 44kg / and timed with a 36kg....and then I ‘m going to dabble in blocks of other similar AGT training.

I am convinced that the jump between the 36 and 44 will be where the magic happens. Good Lord- it wont be easy though.

Cheers!

This is available here, for one day, at a 50% discount for anyone who has been on the fence.

Just finished the first workout, initial review.

chose to do the single arm c&j program, mostly because its my favorite exercise and im not a fighter and don’t need tgu work that the swing tgu protocol calls for.

did my RM test and got 6 reps with the 32kg bell and 10 reps with the 28kg. Protocol calls for 6-12 RM bell, wasn’t exactly sure which to opt for, went with the 28kg.

Small background, I haven’t worked out for a few weeks, 2nd covid shot really hit me hard, and the q&d type stuff became very difficult for me due to the side effects of thI had also been doing power based stuff for about 4 months and was ready for something different.

Really really enjoyed the first workout. I was able to complete the entire 30 minutes, and will add reps into my next session. The workout felt like i got a lot of work done, without killing my recovery capacity. I needed this type of workout for my current physical condition that is having issues recovering my wind as easily as i did a few months ago.

Videos are very well done, especially liked the bits about the breathing techniques, they seem to work.

This protocol seems perfect for the 6 week blocks of alternating between power based programs and a+a that is described in q&d.

Happy with the purchase, this isn’t exactly the a+a snatching protocol as I understand it, but I personally enjoy the 30 minute upper limit on time and specific instructions on how to increase the reps. Very easy to understand, no over thinking involved.

the 32kg bell is the “goal” weight for me before moving on to doubles, going to work to achieve that for the time being.

Update on how this is going. After completing the 1 rep and 1.5 rep sessions. I got to the 2 rep sessions of single arm c&j. First couple sessions of 2 reps i was only able to complete 15 and 20 minutes of the 30 minutes, and that was only because i relied heavily on the breathing techniques to recover enough to push that far. i didn't really think i would be able to get through all 30 minutes before having to switch to plan B. Well today i got through all 30 minutes relatively easily, only slightly breathed heavily for a couple minutes, and it went away almost as if i hit my "second wind".

Very encouraging results so far, really like how this program is leaving me feeling refreshed, but also im seeing results.

Hi everybody!

It's my first post here despite reading the community for a long time. And, first of all, I'd like to express my admiration for this highly informative forum and its supportive members. Running through S&S for a year and almost reaching the Timeless Simple I have been finding all the answers either here of in Pavel's books.

But being a beginner BJJ athlete (35 y.o., with previous experience in swimming, track&field, boxing and generally hitting the gym since being a teenager) I decided to switch to the new Pavel's program for BJJ practitioners. Despite dojos are still closed in Germany where I'm currently living, I'd like to get accustomed to the program simultaneously spending more time with solo and grappling dummy drills. I'm finishing the 'No longer a beginner' stage with a 32K Kettlebell (which is slightly more than my BW) for swings and 32-24-16K range for heavy-medium-light get-ups and wait for a 40K bell to start chasing the 'Intermediate' goal.

I really like the program because of its 3-day (in comparison to almost daily for the S&S) schedule, absence of hypertrophy gains (S&S was really effective for my glutes from this point of view) and swing-TGU load ratio (I belong to the group which tends to progress with swings much easier).

All these being said, I'd like to ask for an advice concerning the optimal warm-up for this program, especially on its beginner and intermediate stages. Pavel mentions 'warm-up of choice' in the PDF and standard S&S warm-up doesn't look like a perfect fit for me because of the goblet squats with a swinging bell weight as a part of the 'main dish'. And I really loved the 'do this' clarity of S&S book concerning every aspect of my training. So I'll be happy to hear about your choice or thoughts on this question.

Hi everybody!

It's my first post here despite reading the community for a long time. And, first of all, I'd like to express my admiration for this highly informative forum and its supportive members. Running through S&S for a year and almost reaching the Timeless Simple I have been finding all the answers either here of in Pavel's books.

But being a beginner BJJ athlete (35 y.o., with previous experience in swimming, track&field, boxing and generally hitting the gym since being a teenager) I decided to switch to the new Pavel's program for BJJ practitioners. Despite dojos are still closed in Germany where I'm currently living, I'd like to get accustomed to the program simultaneously spending more time with solo and grappling dummy drills. I'm finishing the 'No longer a beginner' stage with a 32K Kettlebell (which is slightly more than my BW) for swings and 32-24-16K range for heavy-medium-light get-ups and wait for a 40K bell to start chasing the 'Intermediate' goal.

I really like the program because of its 3-day (in comparison to almost daily for the S&S) schedule, absence of hypertrophy gains (S&S was really effective for my glutes from this point of view) and swing-TGU load ratio (I belong to the group which tends to progress with swings much easier).

All these being said, I'd like to ask for an advice concerning the optimal warm-up for this program, especially on its beginner and intermediate stages. Pavel mentions 'warm-up of choice' in the PDF and standard S&S warm-up doesn't look like a perfect fit for me because of the goblet squats with a swinging bell weight as a part of the 'main dish'. And I really loved the 'do this' clarity of S&S book concerning every aspect of my training. So I'll be happy to hear about your choice or thoughts on this question.
Welcome. Since you are new to BJJ and mention you want to do more solo drills, you could get this video from BJJ Fanatics (it’s a free video, but is great and by the top coach in the world if you don’t know who John Danaher is) that shows a ton of solo movements, and use this for a good 10 minute warmup.

Welcome. Since you are new to BJJ and mention you want to do more solo drills, you could get this video from BJJ Fanatics (it’s a free video, but is great and by the top coach in the world if you don’t know who John Danaher is) that shows a ton of solo movements, and use this for a good 10 minute warmup.

Dear Shawn, thank you a lot for the advice! I've been making this drills since the lockdown started and I can only confirm how effective they was to learn BJJ-specific movement patterns. I use them now as a warm-up before a drill session with a grappling dummy exactly the way you proposed.

Probably, it may be a good idea to use them for a KB-session as well, or even go the Pavel's way of not doing a warm-up before heavy lifting at all.

Hi everybody!

Watch the videos for the program, he talks about the warmup. Its goblet squats but wigglying around and dynamically stretching in the bottom of the squat with your swing bell if I remember right

Watch the videos for the program, he talks about the warmup. Its goblet squats but wigglying around and dynamically stretching in the bottom of the squat with your swing bell if I remember right
I've just rewatched the video. Pavel doesn't mention goblet squats as a part of the warm-up. In the PDF the 'warm-up of choice' is also placed before 3 sets of goblet squats of 3-5 reps with the swinging weight. There's also a remark that one should consider these reps as 'stretching'.

@Mikeperry and others

couple questions regarding the program, which im loving so far

1. In the Beginner to Intermediate Training program for swings and get ups it reads "stay with this progression until you are up to 20 min"

then later under the weight targets area it says “advanced weight target” is 40 sets with the talk test in 40 minutes. i suspect its supposed to read 40 sets of one arm swings with the talk test in 20 minutes?

is the 40 minutes a typo or are you supposed to build past the 20 minute stage after you reach the intermediate weight target? if so what is the protocol in going past 20 minutes and building up to 40 minutes?

2. Is there a substitute for TGU's that could be recommended? i am a golfer and not a fighter, TGU's have always inflamed my joints and i don't really need them for my sport. I love the outline of this program as the lower reps is great for my inflammation, but just not TGU's. maybe dips or pushups or something might be an option?

thank you

just hit the point in the plan a single arm c&j program where progress has stalled and debating if i should switch to c&j plan b, the intermediate swing plan, or a 6 week block of q&d. I think all would be good options.

Back
Top Bottom