all posts post new thread

Old Forum a perfect match- kb&yoga

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

elli

Level 10 Valued Member
Hi all again,
what do you think of Yoga? I think it complements a kb routine pretty well.
Every once in a while I do an hour of Yoga practice to see if my stability and strength improved-they do.
Do you do any Yoga poses/?classes?
Which exercises do your kb practife benefit from and v.v.?
Just curious :)

I happen to think that KB/strength training on MWF and yoga T/TH (or sat if one of those is unavailable) is about as perfect a recipe as anyone could cook up. Of course it all depends on the quality of your instruction in both cases, but I find the hip openers and lateral movement in yoga are a great way to keep bilateral strength work (squats, swings, DL, presses) from slowly eating me up or creating lingering pain. One class in person, one online via YogaGlo, and I feel fantastic and keep getting stronger in my workouts. On the contrary, I find that strength training five days a week makes it very hard to self regulate, keep perspective, and keep progressing. Just my experience.

I too think of it as perfect combination.
I started visiting yoga classes 2 weeks ago (2x/week) and have been on S&S (5-6x/week) since the end of june.
Two weeks ago my DVD of Dan Johns Intervention arrived which made me consider attending yoga classes. Dan says that at around age 27-30 (im 27 :) ) the fight to keep your lean mass begins and that you need to increase your focus on hypertrophy and joint mobility because that are the two things you lose while aging.
Use Kettlebells for Hypertrophy, Strength and GPP and Yoga for mobility and you will do your body a favor.
Plus imo the breathing patterns of Kettlebell movements and yoga complement each other very well.

For what it's worth kettlebells alone will give you a good mobility. I was never able to sit in the lotus pose since i was like 10years old and was always jealous of my friends who could do it. About 3 weeks after i started S&S i was able to sit in the lotus somewhat comfortably without any stretching or training the pose at all.
I contribute that to the daily dose of goblet squats.

Greetings from a fellow german :)

Goblet squat - godess
warrior variations - windmill/ rdl/ tgu
bridge variations - tgu
rolling side planks - tgu

just to give a few examples where you can find parallel movement patterns.
Yofa brings me "in line".
Hopefully, I named the exercises right.;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom