all posts post new thread

Bodyweight A program with only crawling ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,

I was just curious if anyone of you has tested a program With only crawling, or where crawling was the main excersise in the program ?

By crawling I understand the Heavy crawling where Your knees does not touch the ground, and were you og forward and backward.

Has anyone tested a program where they did weighted crawling ? And after having done this for a while what where the results strengthwise and healthwise ?

My main goal for the time being is Power Wheel roll out from the toes and One arm push up, so I was also curious if you have had experience With crawling improving the performance in these other excersises.

I would be glad for all feedback on this. If anyone thinks it is a good idea, I might be interested in testing it out.

Hello,

Not necessarily "crawling" only because there is also some acrobatics in it, but Ido Portal's routine may interest you. You can cut off what you consider useless regarding you goals and constraints.

I used to train for a while using some "flows". It gives a pretty well-rounded practice (strength, endurance, power, mobility). It transfers well to everyday life (get down, get up, pick something up from the ground, etc...). It can be a very long term practice as it is not taxing.

Scott Sonnon is also interesting in this respect

In both cases, they are not crawling only though.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Original Strength and of course Crawling is how I train. I have crawled on hills, pulling sleds etc etc. I currently use mini bands a lot which really loads the breathe a huge amount.

Every so often I will retest a long duration crawl (forwards or backwards). I don't test a great many other things that often - but I will say that crawling and armchair rocking (OS movement) allowed me to regain my ability to do Pistol squats. Once in a blue moon I will complete a 5/3/2 for weighted rack chins and every time thus far I have increased the weight by about 5kgs and completed the reps.

Richard

Sorry for the long pause, and I am grateful for all the useful replies. When I am changing my program the next time I might add a bit of crawling, or simply only do crawling for a while.

I train at home and do not have the opportunity to do drag bag of sand on the floor. But I can crawl with a heavy bag pack, and I can crawl for å short distance against the force of a band. (the band being attached to the wall or something).

The heavy back pack is not a good idea as the weight presses on your spine in a ninety degree angle. Therefore it is better to pull a weight behind you. But before you do that first work up to 10 minutes continues crawling without any weight. Start with Aleks Salkin's challenge. He explains all you need to know. Good luck!

Marlon Leon: I have tried doing crawling with 9 kilos on my back. I got zero issues with that, and I did that three to four times each week for three months. If I would use a heavy back pack I would probably have used a weighted west or something.

Bu why would it hurt the back to have a heavy back pack ? Would it limit the functioning of the rotator cuff ? When you are lifting bench press you are also lying on your back in a 90 degree angle, and if you in addition are lifting a heavy weight then there is a lot of 90 degree pressure on your back muscles, but I have a problem seeing that as dangerous.

Hello,

I never tested, but I would have a question: do you think a crawling-only based training can be a worthwhile strategy for a mass gain due to the full body component ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

My main goal for the time being is Power Wheel roll out from the toes and One arm push up, so I was also curious if you have had experience With crawling improving the performance in these other excersises

Hi @Anders (y)
When working toward goals please take this quote in consideration:

"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing"
- Stephen Covey

Stephen_Covey_2010.jpg

/Martin Joe

Hi Pet

I think that is predominately nutritional intake dependent. Crawling is my main form of strength training that I do .

I work through other resets to a greater or lesser extent dependent on the day, time available, what I want to do.

Richard

@Anders @Marlon Leon
Tim changed his opinion on using vests/backpacks to load the body while crawling and says it's fine to use a weighted vest. Just keep in mind that loading up crawls through a vest is different than doing so by dragging a weight (sled/chains).
For example if you drag something while leopard crawling you'll feel it's getting harder for your quads, while loading up with a vest will increase the load on your shoulders + triceps.

@pet'
Like @Ricky01 I think it's about nutritional intake.
I have been at 92-93Kg for a very long time, but for 5 weeks now I'm working 2 jobs (teaching + landscaping). During landscaping I mostly have to do the grunt work (carrying stones, bricks etc.). My appetite and food intake increased a lot since then.
My training these days is just OS + DLs.
~20min of OS resets ->low volume DLs -> 5min of crawling - that's it!
I went up to 95Kg within 2 weeks despite not doing anything remotely resembling "traditional hypertrophy training" at all.

My training these days is just OS + DLs. ~20min of OS resets ->low volume DLs -> 5min of crawling - that's it![/QUOTE said:
Wow love your programming - Love the simplicity - I bet it's making you strong as an Ox!

Sounds super sustainable too

+1
If crawling is the go-to exercise of OS and DLs the go-to exercise of SF/pavel, then this is a match made in heaven :)

There seems to be a lot of support for OS on this forum. I must admit, I wasn’t sold when I first came across the concept but it’s growing on me.

There’s enough buy-in that I’d like to incorporate an abbreviated version of the resets to see how I feel. Can anyone point me in a good direction to start? Or further sell me on the principles or results?

There seems to be a lot of support for OS on this forum. I must admit, I wasn’t sold when I first came across the concept but it’s growing on me.

There’s enough buy-in that I’d like to incorporate an abbreviated version of the resets to see how I feel. Can anyone point me in a good direction to start? Or further sell me on the principles or results?
Just start doing it.... the results should speak for themselves...

Just start doing it.... the results should speak for themselves...
Generally good stuff so far. Those hard FMS rolls with focus on neck movement were an instant favourite. Leopard crawls and the quadruped stuff were very nice as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom