all posts post new thread

Nutrition A return to IF 16/8

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm on a 3 day a week kettlebell program with one day optional barbell and I do M Thai one day a week.
The volume is creeping up on the workouts and I plan to work hard in June as I'm off on holidays in July.
Has anyone used IF 16/8 when volume and intensity has been creeping up? I want to drop a bit of BF in the next 4 weeks.
Going to dial back training in July/ August then pick it up for SFG in October. Any thoughts

I began IF in January while finishing up the S&S time standard with 24kg and moving on to 32kg. I'm at all my lifts at 32kg now, and down 30lbs from IF and generally cleaner eating. So I made strength gains. May have been faster with more carbs in the diet, but my main goal for this phase was fat loss with strength gain as a secondary goal. I'm down enough in fat % where I'm focusing more on strength now, without gaining waist size.

I've been doing IF for 2-3 years (between 16/8 and 20/4 on any given day, about 6 days a week), and have done a handful of different programs during that time. As long as you're eating enough when you do eat, you should be fine. If you're getting pretty wrecked on your training days, make sure you eat enough carbs to keep your glycogen topped off.

Edit: If you're totally new to IF, listen to your body. You might have to eat however you normally do on/before/after your training days.

Last edited:
Cheers guys.
I've tried it before but my training volume was reasonable. My training has been on point for months, diet poor the last two weeks so want a reset. I liked the simplicity of IF in that it was one less meal to think about. Time to stock up on coffee.

Timely topic. I just started IF 16/8 three days ago for the first time after listening to a STEM Talk podcast with researcher Mark Maston on the subject. I'm starting my 3rd month doing S&S and today was my first workout in the fasted state. I was a bit concerned but had no issues. It seems like IF is popular with the StrongFirst community, but it was new to me.

Here's a link to the Mark Maston podcast. Episode 7: Mark Mattson talks about benefits of intermittent fasting - IHMC | Institute for Human & Machine Cognition

I've been on IF since the very first days of May this year, and I've lost 3,5kg so far. Most of the time I'm on 16/8, but sometimes my first meal is not at 1200 but later, which is still ok.

I follow a modified version of IF.
I usually train around 3-4 o clock in the afternoon. I am having black coffee (2 big cups) and some fruit (usually some bananas) before training.

Nice timing on this post! I'm starting the 16/8 IF too. I'm going to run it by making my last meal at 7pm, and then skipping breakfast the next day...eating lunch at 11 am.

I listened to that Dr. Mark Mattson podcast. Thanks @CarlosH for the link. It was interesting and informative.

I follow a modified version of IF.
I usually train around 3-4 o clock in the afternoon. I am having black coffee (2 big cups) and some fruit (usually some bananas) before training.

Exactly, what is the reason for having fruit prior to training?

Kenny Croxdale

From a pure biochemical standpoint: fructose quickly replenishes liver glycogen. But I do not do it for that reason. I just have some fruit to have something in my stomach. If I get up at 8 or so and train at 4 I get hungry. Having some fruit and coffee before training is a nice ritual and gives me energy without making me full

I was doing the modified warrior diet with a couple of shakes during the day. Work has been pretty hectic lately and we haven't really been stopping for breaks except lunch. So I'm going to switch to 16/8 And see how it goes. Seems everyone is in favour of this protocol anyways.

I do 20:4 or 22:2 usually 3 days per week on non-training days. I used train in the AM as well which technically meant I was fasted (9-10 hrs w/o food) but recent just don't feel as strong in the morning so I train around 5 PM with my last meal at 12PM or so. Currently down 6 lbs over the last 4 weeks and I believe it's BF as my strength slowly improves. Waist band for pants is not as tight either.

I have been "accidental IF guy" for a while now. I am almost never hungry in morning so I just have some coffee. I workout in the late morning(before eating) and haven't noticed any problems.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom