all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A Review of Our October 2-4, 2015, Denver, CO, SFG Level I Certification

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Reposted here with the permission of the author, @Shawn Powell, SFG

I had the honor and privilege of attending the SFG Level 1 Certification in Denver this past weekend [October 2-4, 2015]. I've been swinging a kettlebell for almost ten years now, but had never taken a formal class until I took an SFG User Course and workshop in Chicago, hosted by the lovely and legendary Betsy Collie and Daniel Lona. In that time, I've done countless swings and get-ups. I also had not done NEARLY enough front squats, presses, and snatches. Even so - I'm not gonna' lie - I thought I knew my s@#%. I thought I had a leg up on everyone.

Then two things happened. First, I strained something in my neck and shoulder area about 14 days out from the certification. For three days, I couldn't look up, down, left or right. The second thing that happened? I flew to Denver and ate three straight days of delicious Humble Pie. Turns out, all I had was a halfway decent head start. You're gonna' eat it and you're gonna' like it.

The StrongFirst organization doesn't play around. This is not a pay-your-money-show-up-and-get-your-paper kind of certification. This is learning. This is team work. This is physical education at it's finest. This is your "money's worth." This is damn-near a lesson in anatomy courtesy of Joe Sansalone. And finally, this is WAR in the form of a 100 reps in five minutes. I quickly learned that as experienced as I thought I was, the reason that I was walking into the certification injured, was most likely because I was doing something slightly wrong. And doing it slightly wrong for a long time.

Thanks to the StrongFirst organization, the team leaders, the instructors, assistants, and all of my sweaty teammates and partners in misery for helping me achieve the next big step in what I started almost ten years ago. Never stop learning. Always look to improve on all levels. Take it from a guy like me.....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom