all posts post new thread

Barbell A separate upper body day needed? Please advise

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abraiz

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all.

Have started using the Tactical Barbell Fighter template. Reason for choosing this is to concentrate on Muay Thai. Just 2 workouts a week and just go in, do the workout and get out. Now, when I was going through programs when selecting, one thing from Westside For Skinny Bastards got stuck in my head - the upper body repetition day. My upper body could always use some more work. So apart from the scheduled days and workouts of the Fighter template, I added in another upper body day - an optional day for upper body - when I do dumbbell exercises for the upper body - rows, presses, pullovers. There is no set plan or progression here from week to week - just hit 5x10 for a particular weight, then hit 50 in 3 sets for that weight and then go to the next heavier dumbbell.

Thanks for reading through this long prologue. The question is: Do I need it? It seemed like a good thing, but I have found that this day tires me more than the barbell days. The strength training actually seems to have calming effect on the body. This kind of "bodybuilding" training tires me out more than strength training. Or just stick with it and my body will catch up? I have not completed even 6 weeks on this. Please advise.

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks

@Abraiz

I don't know the program, so I will add just a side note: if your main focus is Muay Thai, I would choose different reps/sets range than 5x10. E.g. 3 ladders of (1, 2, 3), kettlebell or dumbbell military press, imho hit the spot.

@Abraiz

I don't know the program, so I will add just a side note: if your main focus is Muay Thai, I would choose different reps/sets range than 5x10. E.g. 3 ladders of (1, 2, 3), kettlebell or dumbbell military press, imho hit the spot.

The program is in a nutshell - you choose 2, 3 lifts and do them twice a week. First week at 75% of max, 2nd at 80% and 3rd week at 90%, then 4th week is again 75% and so on. After 6th week, you either stick with the weights or go up in weight.

Your point is well made. Keep the upper body work, but use the rep ranges that Pavel recommends. Thanks.

I’m running Operator. My understanding of TB is that such “xtra” work comes through the conditioning workouts done separately from the strength work. If it were me, I’d ditch the extra upper body day since it’s cooking you and it’s not your priority, and work some upper body moves into your conditioning sessions.

Tactical Barbell is also designed to be a program that can be done for years and not detract from concurrent operating. The results are designed to take a long time. Operators don't need curls for the girls. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say, do you need it? Nope.

But if you really want it, fine - just keep it light/easy. Don't ever let vanity day take away from the couple of days of max strength work - and more importantly your sport practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom