all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A simple programme: Clean&Press + Front Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I managed to convert a friend of mine to KBs.
He was already a somewhat strong guy to begin with and for the last weeks I "prescribed" him the following routine (stole it from Pat Flynn but increased to 3x/week and longer rest between sets):

Train 3x/week; Rest: 3-5 mins between sets

1. Clean & Press: 10x5
2. Front Squats: 10x5

He did it at 2x20 and it now gets easy, so he progressed to 2x24.
His session yesterday looked like this:

1: Clean & Press: 5x5 + 5x3 @2x24
Same for FSQ (he matched the reps).

I told him he could keep on using that template and work up to 10x5 @2x24 (matching the reps for FSQ i.e. use the same set/rep scheme as for C&P)
Once he reaches 2x24, maintain that for 2-3weeks and then move on to another programme or 2x28?

Is this a solid approach or am I missing something?

Any advice/comment is highly appreciated!

Yes, it is quite a bit. But he used to do a lot of BB focused work (has a benchpress @5x100kg, squat 5x140kg if remember correct. Moved to a new appartment and cancelled his gym membership).
Do you see any problems in the pregression scheme?

I think it's solid. The squats will probably progress faster than the C&P, and I think jumping to double 32's shouldn't be out of the question. See where he is at after he reaches 50 reps. You might be surprised

Yes, it is quite a bit. But he used to do a lot of BB focused work (has a benchpress @5x100kg, squat 5x140kg if remember correct. Moved to a new appartment and cancelled his gym membership).
Do you see any problems in the pregression scheme?

Those numbers are pretty close to my barbell lifts and I would view the 10x5 double 24 presses pretty hard and the 10x5 double 24 front squats pretty easy. The progression sounds reasonable, but I would probably jump the front squats up now so that the relative difficulty of both movements is the same.

Train 3x/week; Rest: 3-5 mins between sets

1. Clean & Press: 10x5
2. Front Squats: 10x5

He did it at 2x20 and i

So that's 20 sets with 5 minutes rest between sets? including warmup etc that's almost 2 hours at the gym, right? I'm wondering why so much volume and so much time in the gym? Doesn't he get bored doing the same exercise for 1 hour?

it looks like the routine could bring good results. but I wonder if the results would be in line with such a great effort, 2 hours at the gym each time.

What's the goal of the routine? If it's an introduction to kb I would opt for more ballistics, the core of kb. If it's aimed at hypertrophy, I would chose less volume but less rest between sets maybe? If it's strength, I would chose different weights for the press than for the squat. In all cases, if it was me I would struggle with compliance with such a long routine

Just a thought, I'm not experienced with double kb.

it seems fine to me, but squat with two 24kg bells might be light to him. if he can comfortable db clean 2x32 kg , then increase the squat weight

@Marc I think it's good. Twice a week could be better. And when he jumps to heavier bells he could start from 10x2 and build up to 10x5 or 6.
If he wants to train three times a week he could do some swings.. 100-200 swings total.

Holy s*** I'm good at programming :cool:

I noticed how long this program would take too. At the very least you're looking at over an hour of rest time alone.

That’s a lot of time in the gym. Especially if you add swings. I guess that’s ok for some people. I’d rather reduce the volume and workout more frequently. You are also going to have to watch form like a hawk.

It can be done "easily" with shorter rest periods. 1-2 minutes are enough when hypertrophy is main goal.
Original prometheus protocol should take less than 40 minutes.

I don’t know your friend so I am only speaking for myself. Maybe it’s because I have been reading too much Dan John, but I know I couldn’t maintain form with that volume and still recover. But if they can, awesome.

Thanks a lot guys! Really useful and constructive advice, just as always!

Regarding time in the gym:
Clean&Press + Squats can easily be done as alternated sets, i.e. do a set of C&P and rest for 5mins before you begin the next one. During that time he does his FSQ at the same reps like the C&P. That way the whole session can be done in ~1h.

Regarding the addition of swings: actually a good idea, thought about that, too. But since the overall volume is very high and there is a clean before eacht press I think there is already a decent conditioning aspect.

Regarding progressions: starting at 10x2 or 10x3 is a great idea. I think he might have to do this once he gets to 28 and def at 32.

I’m doing a similar program but doing 5x5 version. On the other days I do 36:36 sets (read Viking Warrior Conditioning) until fatigue sets in. Then I stop. I’m doing 12kg snatches. Sunday rest. I have two small children who need dad to go.

Sounds like his strength and conditioning are well beyond his kettlebell experience! In this case, it's extra important to make sure his form is good. We'd be happy to critique his form here if you want to get his permission and post it. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom