all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed A Square Is A Rectangle But a Rectangle Isn't A Square

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Do you think that your running maintains the ruck capability without your strength work?
My experience is that running + strength/strength endurance maintains rucking very well.
I would agree. I think running builds strong lower legs and feet, as well as the necessary aerobic capacity. If you're strength training in a way the strengthens your trunk and shoulders then you will be well prepared for rucking. Just running alone won't do the job.
That being said, I think the only way to strengthen the feet and lower legs adequately for running, is to run. At least for me. I occasionally bounce between periods of doing one or the other, and while rucking makes me feel like I can walk through walls, the switch from running to rucking is pretty easy. The same can not be said of the switch from rucking back to running.

Do you think that your running maintains the ruck capability without your strength work?
Good point, experimental data quickly becomes observational when not controlling for variables like supplemental training, etc.

@Bro Mo and @Kristoffer I really should have included that in my first post. There's a study floating around out there indicating that strength starts to become more important than aerobic fitness for rucking once the load creeps up past 1/3 bodyweight. No offense meant to anyone, but most "pure endurance runners" wouldn't last very long under a 50+ pound ruck. To be fair, that's kind of like saying that most fish are terrible tree climbers.

Anyways, I guess I figured it went without saying the strength training was crucial, but you know what they say about assuming...:p

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom