all posts post new thread

A squat every day protocol and being slow twitch

Pasibrzuch

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi, I want to try doing barbell front squats daily for the sake of trying it.
Any tried and true protocols you can recommend?
I want to try a plan from a powerlifter Andrzej Wodyn Roszkowski who suggests setting a timer for 10 mins and doing EMOM and ramping up the weight every minute, never reaching your true max.
To give a larger picture: the whole session would look like this:
10mins of something fast (sprints/plyos)
10mins of OL practice
10 mins of squats
10mins unilateral work or upper body or carries
2x10 back hyperextensions to squeeze my l4-l5 back into the spine.
If needed, the 10 minute blocks would be spread throughout the day.

And the second part of the question: I seem to benefit from longer sets (when I started doing 10 rep sets my progress increased). On the other hand, I don't seem to benefit much from doing a rep range below 5 reps. Do you think it still won't work or the dailyness (is it a word in English?) of singles would compensate?

I don't know of any. Sounds like you have found one to try.
I seem to benefit from longer sets (when I started doing 10 rep sets my progress increased). On the other hand, I don't seem to benefit much from doing a rep range below 5 reps. Do you think it still won't work or the dailyness (is it a word in English?) of singles would compensate?
If you've tried more traditional approaches like 3 sets of 5 at a challenging weight 2-3x/wk and you didn't get stronger, that might be worth exploring to determine why. But short of that, trying another approach seems reasonable. Doing something daily, you obviously have to keep the intensity and volume lower than you would if you were doing it 2-3x/wk. But getting stronger in this way is possible. Certainly getting more skilled and adapted to the activity would happen. It may then make you more responsive to a more traditional strength training approach.

I want to try a plan from a powerlifter Andrzej Wodyn Roszkowski who suggests setting a timer for 10 mins and doing EMOM and ramping up the weight every minute, never reaching your true max.
10mins of OL practice
10 mins of squats

And the second part of the question: I seem to benefit from longer sets (when I started doing 10 rep sets my progress increased). On the other hand, I don't seem to benefit much from doing a rep range below 5 reps. Do you think it still won't work or the dailyness (is it a word in English?) of singles would compensate?

I think that routine is going to be very effective at making you gassed and doing metabolic conditioning.

But I'm not so sure it will optimize for power, skill, or strength.

The only program where doing Front Squats every day may work is Easy Strength.

Otherwise, the only way to know if the program you have will work is to do it and report back to us.

I haven't squatted every day, but I have done periods of pressing every day. I haven't read any programs, but given my somewhat relative experience as well as watching what folks online have done, I have these two cents for you:

First let me make clear that when I write "every day," I mean 7 days a week, not every training day.

If you try to do the same exercise, or variations of it, every day, you will eventually figure out what's working and what's not working. In my opinion, it's highly unrealistic to write a program for doing something every day. Doing an exercise every day means you MUST learn to autoregulate. There's simply too much variability in day-to-day life to expect to be able to adhere to a daily written program. My experience with pressing was that I started strong, felt like I was able to do a good amount every day . . .for like 5 days. Then on something like day 6, I had to drastically reduce volume. What I found was that my weeks had this pattern to them. A ramping up followed by a steep drop in volume/intensity.

For example:
10mins of OL practice
10 mins of squats
I think you could front squat every day, but I highly doubt you will be able to do that session every day. Maybe 3-4 days a week. I can't quite tell if that's what you were implying or not.

In short, when you commit to something "every day" you will hit a point where you realize that you are going to do the same thing again the next day, and you start to understand what it means to execute a repeatable training session, at least for your chosen "every day" movement. You will also learn to embrace a high degree of variability. Some days you might do heavy reps/low sets, other days you might only use an unloaded bar.

So I would say that when you are training, it's a good idea to ask yourself throuought the session whether you could do it again tomorrow.

I seem to benefit from longer sets (when I started doing 10 rep sets my progress increased). On the other hand, I don't seem to benefit much from doing a rep range below 5 reps.
Boris asked what you were currently squatting, and I would venture a guess that might help explain this. If you are, relatively speaking, not squatting much weight yet, I suspect that volume will help. But I would defer to Boris. He's the squat guy in the thread :)

I haven't done squatting every day, but the program I'm using now for body recomp has different squats programmed 4 days a week. It uses back squats, front squats, Zercher squats, landmine squats, leg presses, single leg squats, etc. And I can tell you, 4 days a week is already hard to recover from. But it has definitely packed some quality pounds onto my quads.

The problem with all "squat everyday" approaches (and I say this a lot lately) is that they quickly devolve into medium effort slogs. Your easy days are too hard. And because you never fully recover, your hard days end up being too easy.

I'm not anti-squat everyday. But, I do have some experience with high training frequency approaches and for more than a few people, "autoregulation" ends up being a fancy name for "instinctual training", which is just a nicer way of saying "winging it". Does that "work"? For some people, yes - especially if they have a lot of experience and track data points well. For a lot of other people, not so much.

I haven't squatted every day, but I have done periods of pressing every day. I haven't read any programs, but given my somewhat relative experience as well as watching what folks online have done, I have these two cents for you:
I think it’s worth mentioning a general principle here, which is that one can train smaller muscles more often. It’s why, for instance, practicing the trumpet can work well doing it multiple times per day, every day. In fact, missing a day can really cause your performance to suffer. So generally speaking, as we would apply this to lifting weights, one can press more often than one can squat or dead lift.

-S-

10mins of OL practice
10 mins of squats

I was doing squats everyday many years ago, when I was a weightlifter. It is REALLY tough. So easy to overtrain.
A common trap is that as you squat daily, eventually weights will start to feel really light and you will be tempted to have a quick overload. Don't do that, it will destroy your progress.

I would advise you to find a weightlifting coach if there is an option. If it is not an option, my 2 cents are:

-Rarely go above 75% 1rm
-Have active recovery days at 50% 1rm
-Never get your sets near failure
-Eat and sleep a lot
-Rotate squat variation every 3 weeks(back, front, zercher etc)

Boris asked what you were currently squatting, and I would venture a guess that might help explain this. If you are, relatively speaking, not squatting much weight yet, I suspect that volume will help. But I would defer to Boris. He's the squat guy in the thread :)
Thank you. I try.

Imho, a 120kg front squat (and I'm assuming a few years of experience?) doesn't really warrant an everyday approach unless that's what you really want to do (and I guess you do). If it were me, I'd make sure to program VERY light days (like the empty bar) at least twice a week, and rotate squat variants before you need to.

let's recap:
- squatting everyday is serious stuff, easy to overtrain and has to be planned well
- a daily session schedule I enclosed seems like too much and needs adjustment.
- my current max suggests that increasing the frequency to that degree is not necessary yet

My conclusions:
I think I'll wait with trying squats everyday. My current program works well. When I encounter stagnation I will reconsider increasing squatting frequency. I wanted to try it since recently I'm into high-frequency/low-volume type of work, but there are more ways you can structure daily trainings.
Thanks to everybody who contributed to this discussion.

In the program above, I was actually less concerned about the squatting every day than I was about 10 min of plyo/sprints, followed by 10 minutes of EMOM O-lifting practice.

If you hit the plyo / sprints for 10 min with appropriate intensity, you're going to be fatigued by the time you start your WL practice.

So that fatigue, plus the EMOM WL practice, is going to lead you to do baby weights that don't require max power nor good technique.

That's just retarded programming.

Unless your goal is just to do barbell cycling power cleans + thrusters of mediocre weights a la CF metcon WODS.

If you hit the plyo / sprints for 10 min with appropriate intensity, you're going to be fatigued by the time you start your WL practice.
The hill I do sprints on requires me to walk up it to leave.

Most of my hill sprint sessions end with me at the bottom considering if it is worth it to walk up the hill to go home.

I can’t imagine doing technical lifts in that state.

The hill I do sprints on requires me to walk up it to leave.

Most of my hill sprint sessions end with me at the bottom considering if it is worth it to walk up the hill to go home.

I can’t imagine doing technical lifts in that state.

Exactly

Back
Top Bottom