all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A week to play

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
So I got the rona. But as I’m asymmetric and have a variety of kettlebells here at home I want ideas on what to train. I want a variety of sessions so I don’t go insane. My ideas …

OA press, 28kg
Superset with pull ups
Snatches, 28kg, 10 x 10 reps, rest as needed

One arm swings, 32kg, 10 x 10 reps
Get ups, 32kg, 10 x 1 rep

Double half snatch, 2x24kg, 5 reps every 2 min x 30 min

Viking warrior conditioning, 20kg

OA push up practice
Weighted pull ups, 20kg
Weighted box pistols, 20+28kg in front rack

5 snatches + get down/up + 5 snatches
32kg, 10 rounds

double bell complex, 2 x 28kg
- 5 clean and push press
- 10 squats
- 10 swings
10 rounds

any other session suggestions?

Does this advice apply if your asymptomatic? I have had no symptoms bar a very mild fever which is already clearing up. Honestly today I feel pretty much back to normal - and a long week of nothing ahead

Does this advice apply if your asymptomatic? I have had no symptoms bar a very mild fever which is already clearing up. Honestly today I feel pretty much back to normal - and a long week of nothing ahead
I'm not a health professional, and I'm definitely not giving anyone any advice, but I would favour a conservative approach for myself personally.

Aren't there some cases of myocarditis in asymptomatic cases of covid? Or cases where someone has mild symptoms for a while then develops more serious ones later? I'm not sure of the answers to those questions, but I'm sure it's worth looking into and discussing with your doctor.

I know you won’t listen to them, so here’s a happy medium of what i did during my quarantine (after recovering/feeling better). Just Get a lighter weight than you normally would, pop in your favorite Pavel dvd, and just drill form all day, even if you think you don’t need it for that particular movement. That’s how i finally owned the snatch.

Depends. I'd be very cautious though, even with mild symptoms (btw you weren't asymptomatic if you had a mild fever). There's a not insignificant number of people that have longer term issues even after mild symptoms, so I'd be careful and rest and only do very light exercise. Use the time for reading, catching up on sleep, learning a new skill, etc. What's 1-2 weeks of rest when you have the rest of your life for training?

FWIW I am a medical professional (in the UK) but I'm giving this advice more as someone that's learnt the hard way after trying to train when only mildly ill or slightly injured! Be easy on yourself and go steady away, there's plenty of time for training when you're fit and fully rested.

Last edited:
Best to take it easy. maybe some gentle walking and some light easy (low rep) joint mobility. You want to stay assymptomatic. The other option is to overdo it and get more severe COVID now OR develop latter problems like the heart problems (myocarditis) mentioned or other ones. I'm sure if you were to review the medical literature deeply enough you will find many instances of people with low grade or asymptomatic infections who overdid it and ended up with acute of chronic problems as a result. In addition to gentle activity mentioned early, you can safely read books and watch videos\DVDs and so on and this can be about kettlebells and exercise. Perhaps, get the Superjoints video\book and learn some of the gentler joint mobility exercises...

Or learn some new recovery techniques, like deep mental relaxation of body and mind so that the mind slows down and then stills ie Dr Ainslie Meares' meditation method.

@Simply strong, you might learn to train free-style. I do this a lot when not focused on an upcoming competition or trying for a new PR. Hang from a bar for time, do lifts you don’t normally do, pick odd lifts, do more yard work, hike or ruck.

Keep it fun. Don’t push too hard, and one of the advantages of trying new lifts is that your focus can be on learning the lift and not trying to set a PR in it.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom