all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Aaron Copland's "Lincoln Portait"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
A member of our forum pinged me offline with a piece of music with narration, and in response, I went looking for my favorite example of this on YouTube.

Aaron Copland, "Lincoln Portait."

It seems, although not concerned directly with issues of our time, nonetheless appropriate on this day that we in the United States exercise our right to vote.

It's 16 minutes long; if you're impatient, the first 6 minutes or so are just music, albeit beautiful, wonderfully American music by a man I consider the greatest American classical music composer. I recommend you listen to the whole thing - you'll hear fragments of Stephen Foster songs, even of Taps, and if this inspires but one person who hadn't otherwise planned to do so to get out to their local polling place and cast a vote, then I'm delighted to have taken the time to find this and post it here.

There are other recordings to listen to - this one features basketball great, Julius Irving (known as Dr. J), as narrator, and the great conductor from Italy, Riccardo Muti.

-S-

Voting is a major part of it. Speaking openly about politics and policy is another (of course not for these forums!) That's the harder part of it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom