all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Ab Pavelizer As A Progression To Hanging Leg Raises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benedictine Monk

Level 3 Valued Member
Just working my way through Pavel's Hardstyle Abs. It looks like I should be starting with the Pavelizer before moving on to HLR. Is this correct?

It is one progression but if you’ve got decent ab strength and understand the hollow position already, you could go straight to the HLR.

-S-

It is one progression but if you’ve got decent ab strength and understand the hollow position already, you could go straight to the HLR.

-S-

Understood. It looks like being able to do a 5x5 on the Ab Pavelizer is the threshold for "decent ab strength", so I've got some work to do.

Understood. It looks like being able to do a 5x5 on the Ab Pavelizer is the threshold for "decent ab strength", so I've got some work to do.
It is not the only threshold. Marty Gallagher once said that anyone who can deadlift 300 lbs. has pretty strong abs - while I appreciate your desire to be "ready" you can also try an HLR and see how you do.

-S-

I don't have a Pavelizer... But I know for a fact that doing Janda sit-ups is pretty hard for me. Yet I can do strict HLR's with 'comparative' ease. I think that doing TGU's has had a major impact on my torso strength

Yes it is a great goal but not a must prior to HLR. There are other skills that you can work if you do not have a Pavelizer. We teach the Hardstyle sitback in the SFB course and teach floor progression for the HLR. You can also work on slow HLR lowers to and L-sit hang which will fire your dear abbies like crazy.
Key points for HLR is to have flexible calves and hamstrings, do not look at the bar as it will cause you to lean back vs fold in half and equally pull the bar toward your legs while pulling your legs to the bar.

Hope that helps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom