Level 6 Valued Member
Belt Squat VideoMore effective belt squat technique...
The video posted provides those unfamiliar with the Belt Squat what they are.
A couple of issues with the method demonstrated in the video are...
1) Getting up on the boxes once you have attached the weights to the belt is a circus act.
2) Using a Dip Belt: In the video it appears that he is using a Dip Belt to perform Belt Squats. Performing Belt Squat with a Dip Belt is uncomfortable.
3) Limited Load: Both of of he above limit the amount of weight you can use in the Belt Squat; the Dip Belt will only take so much weight and having to climb up is awkard.
A Better Belt Squat Method
It's like baking a cake; you need the right ingredients.
1) The Spud Belt Squat Belt
Belt Squat Belt
The Spud Belt Squat Belt is strong and supple, it contours around you waist and feels good.
2) Loading Pin
Olympic 15 loading pin for Olympic plates and clip-www.ironmind-store.com
This allows you to load up as much weight as you want. I have loaded mine up with over 500 lbs.
3) Pair of Boxes: You need a couple of strong solid boxes to stand on. Using to Flat Padded Bench Press Benches is unstable; a recipe for a disaster.
4) A Strong Carabiner to attach the Belt Squat Belt to the Loading Pin and your in business.
Building Strength With Belt Squats
1) Position the boxes you stand so that you can hold on to something, like a Power Rack, when Squatting.
a) Holding on to something minimizes the stabilizer muscles. The stabilizer muscles are a limiting factor of increasing Strength in the legs.
It similar to the Leg Press that overload the Quads by eliminating the Stabilizer Muscles
2) Accommodating Resistance: Attaching Band and/or Chains to a Squat provides a greater overload to legs throughout the entire range of the movement.
Holding on to something when Belt Squatting allows to perform an "Accommodating Resistance Belt Squat".
In the bottom part of part of the movement, as you drive with your legs, provide some assistant by pulling up with your arms.
As you drive higher in the Belt Squat, decrease how much you are pulling with your arm, allowing the legs to take on more of the load.
Spud Belt Squat Video
The video above provide a good example of performing The Belt Squat with the Spud Belt and Loading Pin standing on Boxes.
Additional Belt Squat Benefits
1) You never need a spotter with The Belt Squat.
2) You can chose how deep you want to Squat.
3) Eccentric Belt Squat: By holding on to something like a Rack, you can pull up a heavier load and perform Eccentric Belt Squat for Reps.
4) Concentric Only Belt Squats: You can perform Concentric Only Belt Squat by driving the weight up and allowing it to free fall in the eccentric part of the movement.
5) Good Morning Belt Squats: As we've discussed the Lower Back is a limiting factor at time and it is quickly and easily overtrain.
Performing Good Morning Belt Squat, with the Belt around you waste, eliminates the Lower Back, placing the workload on your Hamstrings and Glutes. It lets you overload your Hamstrings and Glues while allowing your Lower Back recover time.
No Hand Support Belt Squats
If you want to engage and work the Stabilizer Leg Muscle to a greater degree, don't hold on, as demonstrated in the video that I first posted.