all posts post new thread

Old Forum Ab Work - Like Riding A Bicycle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
There's that old saying, "It's like riding a bicycle" which means that a skill, once learned, stays with you forever. I do very little ab work and haven't done any in recent memory.

Yesterday, my son and his friends, a total of 5 young men in the summer between high school and college, asked me to show them some ab exercises while they were lifting in our basement. I taught and demonstrated the Pavel style, modified Janda situp (or whatever we call it these days), plus the hanging leg raise, the Dragon Flag, the Full Contact Twist and, because someone was squatting but not well, a goblet squat with a 28 kg and then a 48 kg bell, both paused and exhaled at the bottom.

The reason I can still do all these things even though I don't practice them is that I learned them as skills, and then I incorporated the principles - use your abs! - into the training I currently do, which is mostly walking with a bar on my shoulders in preparation for a Inman Mile competition in October. The only other things I do are a few military presses, a few bw pistols, and a few light barbell back squats. Presses are fewer than 10 reps, 24 kg, all singles and doubles, squats are with 135 lbs or so but deep and paused.

It was pretty cute - they asked me what was the difference between doing these and doing hundreds of fast situps. I explained that hundreds of fast situps make you tired; these exercises make you strong. I advised them to pick weights and variations that allowed them to do about 5 reps of an exercise in good form and do a few of those a few times each week.

My abs are strong because I learned to use them in my other heavy lifting. My ab exercise skills are present because I learned them well and practiced them a lot for the first few years.

Do your ab work - read HardStyle Abs, learn the movements, become proficient at them, keep them in your arsenal. If you revisit one and find you can't do it, work on it again until you can. Consider this a "strength screening" for your midsection. Your reward will be better safety and better performance in any and every physical activity.

-S-

Hi Steve,

Good post as usual!
I'd like to highlight the key phrase for me that makes a huge difference in every single lift (or anything in life that requires a bit a of strength really): use your abs!
PTTP really hits that point home (well actually it says use all your muscles and create a huge amount of tension, which is the best advice ever given out for strength training)

now a question for you... if you use your abs in everything you do (i.e. S&S, which is what I do exclusively now), do you still need to practice ab specific movements? what would be the advantage?

Claude, thank you for your kind words - always appreciated.

As a general guideline, I think most people should do ab work about 50% of the time, e.g., if you train in 3 month cycles, put some ab work in two cycles per year.

But there are people who do ab work all the time and swear by it, among them, competing powerlifters. If you feel it helps you, then by all means, keep it in your program.

As a person with a bad back, I find I _must_ use my abs not only when I lift but throughout my day. I spend a good amount of time every day without back support, e.g., when I'm practicing the piano, the organ, or the double bass, when I'm standing playing the trumpet, when I'm sitting in a chair but not leaning on the back of it when playing classical guitar.

My personal experience has been that my back will bother me if I hit my abs hard before my day is over and then have to exist through the rest of my day with tired abs. The first reason I lift is to have a better quality of life, not to move the most weight at a PL meet, so my choice for many years was to cycle ab training in and out of my routine as I felt I needed it. Lately, though, I do it less because, as I said in my earlier post, I seem to have figured out how to get enough ab strength out of my other forms of exercise.

That's not to say my abs couldn't be stronger. I'd love to own the front lever but I don't. Perhaps one day I will focus on that and then be able to carry a higher level of ab strength around with me all day long.

I think the best thing for everyone to do is see where they're at with their ab strength and if it's not up to par, then work on it until it is. Real strength doesn't go away quickly, and once a certain level of ab strength has been achieved, it can be maintained by other means, but first things first - get strong.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom