all posts post new thread

Barbell Abbreviated workout plan need advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Warzone2022

Level 3 Valued Member
Currently undergoing physio for a L5 S1 bulge, I've been given the green light to do upper body work while I'm in physio and I'm doing lower body work at the clinic

The exercises below dont hurt

So my question is, is this ok for two days a week Only thing missing is the lower body portion Squat and deads

This will be temporary until I get the green light from physio to start on lower body work at home.

Sets & Reps - 3x Warmup Ramp Sets followed by 1-2x 6-8reps to failure (HIT) - adding 2.5kg each week (linear progression)

Home Plan
Day 1-
Bench Press
Weighted Inverted Rows

Day 2-
OHP
Pullups

So as a fan of HIT/Abbreviated training will this work?

There are different approaches to abbreviated training and there is nothing about your program that suggests it wont work.

My go to upper body program is bench/Row alternated with OHP/pull-down for five hard sets (eg close to failure). Because I'm going close to failure I muck around with the weights - whatever I feel like, not linear progression. Why should I care whether a set concludes at 6 or 16 reps? I just want the muscle! For lower body I will normally just add one high volume (15 to 25 rep) set of leg press to failure. Sometimes two sets. Occasionally I will add one isolation exercise to each push/pull - one set to failure, but that does seem to complicate things.

In the absence of another good idea, that's what you'll see me doing in the gym.

Last edited:
There are different approaches to abbreviated training and there is nothing about your program that suggests it wont work.

My go to upper body program is bench/Row alternated with OHP/pull-down for five hard sets (eg close to failure). Because I'm going close to failure I muck around with the weights - whatever I feel like, not linear progression. Why should I care whether a set concludes at 6 or 16 reps? I just want the muscle! For lower body I will normally just add one high volume (15 to 25 rep) set of leg press to failure. Sometimes two sets. Occasionally I will add one isolation exercise to each push/pull - one set to failure, but that does seem to complicate things.

In the absence of another good idea, that's what you'll see me doing in the gym.

I'd add that while there's nothing wrong with two days per week you will probably see better results if you can up the frequency, at least a bit. Working out every three days (eg two rest days) seems the sweet spot for me rather than twice weekly. But those working out three times weekly look like they get a return on that additional investment

With a back issue I might swap in the incline press if you have access to it for the OHP, just to keep the stress off your back until your healed up. Your plan looks solid!

Assuming your back pain occurs under flexion and not extension, the bench press MAY make it feel better, it did for me. As long as you dont go too extreme on the arch. I think an even more back friendly press is the floor press.

I'm personally not a fan of pushing myself to failure, EVER (except a competition)... Let alone EVERY single session. With the exception of a powerlifting meet, I haven't failed a lift in many years (maybe decade). And the lift I missed at the meet was on a technicality, I still made the rep. So I come from a different mentality vs "training to failure". Especially when you have such a severe injury. Dont underestimate the stress that these upper body lifts put on your backs recovery process. A simple 3 sets of 5 reps, with a medium weight, leaving the workout feeling fresh, may be all you need. And then add a few lbs next workout and drop to 3 reps OR add a 4th set to you 5 reps at the same weight. Go easy on yourself. Strength/muscle doesnt come from torturing yourself every session, it comes from playing the Long Game, a disciplined approach to progressively adding more weight and/or volume over years.

I like the idea of minimalist training, especially with your injury. Use that extra time to walk, a lot. This is important for a back injury.

Good luck! I know that these lower back injuries can be frustrating. I'm happy to hear that you are working with a PT.

Regards,

Eric

Currently undergoing physio for a L5 S1 bulge, I've been given the green light to do upper body work while I'm in physio and I'm doing lower body work at the clinic

The exercises below dont hurt

So my question is, is this ok for two days a week Only thing missing is the lower body portion Squat and deads

This will be temporary until I get the green light from physio to start on lower body work at home.

Sets & Reps - 3x Warmup Ramp Sets followed by 1-2x 6-8reps to failure (HIT) - adding 2.5kg each week (linear progression)

Home Plan
Day 1-
Bench Press
Weighted Inverted Rows

Day 2-
OHP
Pullups

So as a fan of HIT/Abbreviated training will this work?
Good luck with the back issues. Are you able to do use the leg press without pain(i know..leg press sucks)

The hardest one there for you L5/S1 is the bench. They may not cause pain directly, but while L5/S1 heals it would probably be a good idea to elevate your feet some, or do the floor press as Eric suggests. Otherwise I wouldn't sweat the specifics - it isn't for that long, and the most important thing is that your body's recovery isn't too tapped out.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom