all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ABC & cycling

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Ive been doing armour building complex the last 2 weeks, even so early ive gained some strength from it so liking it so far!

I feel like i get beat up pretty quick from long workouts so it fits nicely
Ive been doing
Heavy day 5 sets aiming to work towards 10
Light day 3 sets working towards 6
Medium day 4 sets working towards 8

Obviously im still at the lower end of them sets except heavy day gone to 6 sets, which takes me about 15 mins
Im using 2x 24kg which is very heavy for me but manageable, started with 3/4 press max.

So doing that MWF the thing is now the weather is getting nicer i want to prioritise cycling more

If i droped ABC to 2 days a week through summer what sort of sets should i aim for, would i still need a heavy light day or heavy medium or just both heavy days?

Cycling ill be doing 2/3 times a week for between 1hr and 4hrs rides

Thank you

Ive been doing armour building complex the last 2 weeks, even so early ive gained some strength from it so liking it so far!

I feel like i get beat up pretty quick from long workouts so it fits nicely
Ive been doing
Heavy day 5 sets aiming to work towards 10
Light day 3 sets working towards 6
Medium day 4 sets working towards 8

Obviously im still at the lower end of them sets except heavy day gone to 6 sets, which takes me about 15 mins
Im using 2x 24kg which is very heavy for me but manageable, started with 3/4 press max.

So doing that MWF the thing is now the weather is getting nicer i want to prioritise cycling more

If i droped ABC to 2 days a week through summer what sort of sets should i aim for, would i still need a heavy light day or heavy medium or just both heavy days?

Cycling ill be doing 2/3 times a week for between 1hr and 4hrs rides

Thank you
Gary... how passionate are you about cycling? I'm not familiar enough with ABC to be commenting I suppose, but I do know a thing or two about cycling.
A lot is going to depend on your cycling aspirations, and indeed on what type of rides you are doing.
If you are just casual riding at an easy pace then that's one thing. If you race or train like you race then that is another.
Additionally, as I'm sure you know the amount of resources that you can dedicate to recovery will have a significant impact as well as your age.

I ride 3 - 5 times per week, also typically 1 - 5 hrs in duration, (and fall in that latter category of rider). But I also do S&S 5 days per week (give or take), plus other things thrown in for good measure. (Pull-ups, grip work, rock climbing...)

I am fortunate in that I have trained this way for decades so I have a high tolerance for workload; and I have the luxury of being able to dedicate a lot of resources to recovery.

Go lighter and easier than you think, twice a week. You can always add more later if you feel like it. If cycling is higher priority, then stick with that. If cycling is lower, then once you settle the bike volume, you could try a little more KB. If your arms are getting a little beat up while trying to grow armor, a possibility is to keep the volume low. Instead of adding sets, when you finish, shake it off, rest a bit, and then work some loaded carries. I've found loaded carries to be magic for MTB.

Ok thanks guys

I dont race or anything just casual riding avg 12mph which id like to up some.
At the moment 15, 20 miles does take it out of me where im not used to it.
Was doing about 30 40 miles last summer which id like to get back to and more really.

Will definitely stick to only 2 days per week KBs
Maybe something like ABC for 15min one day, for me thats a heavy 5/6 sets.
The next ABC for 5mins with some pullups and loaded carriers?

Last edited:
Looks good. Try it and see.

KB swings, any kind of clean and press, and loaded carries have been game changers fro me on the bike. They have improved my control and ability to balance with the all different forces out on the trail. It didn't take much in the way of loaded carries either, a little went a long way. Just adding in one at the end of every session.

Well I've tried it for a week I'm doing a cycling plan that calls for 4 rides a week with the ABC twice a week I don't think I can keep up with 2 x 24 kg!
Im going to drop down to 2x16kg i think, maybe sprinkle in some get ups, pull-ups and carries as and when I feel it

I was thinking if i drop down to 2x16 bells
The ABC i would only be getting 5/10 reps for press depending on how many sets i get done.

With a lighter weight would i be better off doing ladders?
Maybe like day 1 of DFW 30min 123 123...

I think the ABC is brilliant and really enjoyed it but think its more suited to heavy weight low reps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom