all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Abdominal function and breathing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bobby

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,

Can someone explain how the abdominals are supposed to function when breathing, while bracing (including anal lock/ pelvic floor engagement) under heavy load? Such as during swings or deadlifts.

At times I'm not sure if my abdominals are being maximized throughout a lift.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Bobby

@Bobby, Welcome to StrongFirst!

Almost all of Pavel's books on strength cover this subject - have you read any of them, e.g., Kettlebell Simple & Sinister?

-S-

Steve,

I really appreciate you replying to me.

I have read S & S, Bulletproof Abs, Enter the Kettlebell and The Russian Kettlebell Challenge. I just wanted some more input.

I'm at the point where I think my diaphragm and thoracic spine are week due to poor breathing function. I'm not entirely sure if the upper abdomen/diaphragm and lower abdomen are supposed to move as one unit or if the lower abdomen draws in air, first, up to the upper abdomen/ diaphragm.

And, are the pelvic floor muscles (anal lock) supposed to be flexed/clinched the whole time or is it contract relax with inhale and exhale?

I hope I'm explaining clearly enough.

Thanks again,

Bobby

@Bobby, my first reaction to your post is to suggest you work with someone in person (or via Skype/Facetime). The books you've read contain good instruction and it sounds like you're understood what you've read - sometimes, you need to be in the room with a trainer.

If you haven't had a recent physical exam, you should get one to rule out any possible medical conditions.

You want to increase intra-abdominal pressure. There are a number of ways, all related, to do that. You want to be able to breath into your belly - your diaphragm moves down, and you tighten the other end of the container, your pelvic floor, and all the parts happen at about the same time - I don't think the precise order is something most people think about. "Breathing behind the shield" is our way of discussing how to manage to keep appropriate tension through a breathing cycle, but it's something you can't learn from a book only - you have to practice it, and that's where hands-on coaching may help you.

I wouldn't assume your diaphragm or t-spine are weak unless you evidence to suggest that - sounds like you just need some instruction and some practice.

-S-

I appreciate it Steve.

I'll have to locate an SFG near me and try to work with him before I start training for the SFG in March.

Thanks again,

Bobby

Bobby, breathing for swings and deadlifts are quite different. The breath for swings is relatively small and very quick, though still very strong. The breath for a DL is bigger and IMO much more deliberate. You want to take your breath before starting the lift and force your abdomen outward in all directions as hard as you can. Even without lifting any weight, this should not be a pleasant feeling.

Arryn,

Thank you for those cue's. Pushing your abs outwards from all directions makes sense and helps me absorb that concept of how the abs should work.

Greatly appreciated!

@Arryn Grogan, FWIW, that visualization doesn't work for me. I visualize increasing intra-abdominal pressure and my abs remaining firm, resisting the breath trying to push them outwards.

-S-

@Steve Freides that made the visualization even clearer for me. I think that is where the pelvic floor contraction comes into play. Would you say that function is what helps to resist the breath trying to push outwards?

In order to increase inta-abdominal pressure, you must try to keep the container from expanding when you inhale. Bracing with abs and pulling up on pelvic floor both will help.

-S-

@Steve Freides, I agree. It is resisting expansion, but for me I'm still trying to force the air outwards using my diaphragm and pelvic floor. When I do it, I take a 100% breath, then let some air out as I squish it all in place and end up with a 75% breath.

@Bobby, I hope it all helps!

Arryn, good to see you back! Saw some pics from Portland SFG II... Congrats again.

Arryn, good to see you back! Saw some pics from Portland SFG II... Congrats again.
Thanks, Anna. Been super busy lately and not much time to get on here. But I learn a lot from other people, so I'm trying to make an effort to have more of a presence.

The cert was great! Not nearly as exhausting as level 1. Top-notch instruction, as always. I didn't make my press... I knew taking the cert was too soon for me, but we hosted the event so I felt I had to at least try.

Is that your attempt, in your profile pic? ;)

I enjoyed the pictures... I'm considering Portland as the venue for SFG II a year from now. I have family there, and it looks like a good choice all around.

Yes, that was my attempt. Wasn't my day to press apparently. Oh well. I tried and have a little time to try again. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom