all posts post new thread

Abraiz's log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abraiz

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi.

A little background first. A 36, going on 37 male, weighing 90.0 kilos (as of yesterday). Been training off and on since a couple of years. Tried to start regular barbell training in 2012, 2013, but failed miserably. Mainly because that gym didn't have any plates smaller than 5 kilos (this is India) and I thought I could handle 10 kg increases just like that. Learnt from it. When a new gym (with a standard Olympic level weight lifting set) opened near me, I bought a couple of pairs of 1.25 kilos and donated them to the gym since I wanted to go there. Have used 5/3/1. A lot. Can front squat my body weight (or at least could a good while ago), deadlift about 135 or so kilos. Can overhead press 55 kilos (or could). For some reason, I didn't bench at all in the beginning. Then went back to judo and realized that it was super useful to be able to move weight lying down. So can bench maybe 65 kilos. For a guy who weighs 85 to 90 or so, these are pathetic weights. I get that. Had a log at Rosstraining.com. They pulled down their forum. So don't know what exact weights I had lifted before. Got kettlebells and have been using them. Did Muay Thai and Judo before Covid started rampaging. Cannot restart them until I don't know when.

Restarting barbell training now with ME focused work. Two days a week, work up to 3RM. One upper body day and one lower body day. Some accessory work. Will change exercises every 3 weeks. Upper body choice is bench press, floor press, push press. Lower body - Deadlift, sumo deadlift, front squat.

Goals: I want to achieve basic strength standards (2BW DL, 1.5BW FS, 1.5BW BP) as fast as possible. Will do twice a week kettlebell workouts as well.

August 17, 2020

Warmup

Overhead squats with empty barbell. Just 1 set with pauses throughout.

Bench press - 20x5, 25x5, 30x5, 35x5, 40x5

Workout

Bench Press

45x3
50x3
55x3
60x3

Back off sets

25 reps anyhow with 50 kilos.

Anyhow means in ladder fashion using reps from 1-5 without any set pattern going just by feel. Like 5 reps the first set, then 1 rep the second, 3 reps the third and so on. Just hitting 25 reps is the goal here since my upper body could use the work.

Accessory work

Barbell curl - 34 reps in 2 sets with empty bar
Pendlay row - 35 reps in 3 sets with 16 kilos

For these, the goal is to go up in weight once I hit 50 in 3 sets.

Observations: 60 kilos for a triple when I remember 65 being my max felt easy. Maybe I was being too cautious and leaving reps on the table. Don't know. The workout itself felt exhausting since I hadn't been in the gym since a long time. Need to add another exercise to the accessory work. Cannot decide which one to pick. Let us see.

August 18, 2020

KB workout

Swings with 20 kg bell, alternating 1H and 2H - 10x10
Presses - 2, 3, 5 x2 with 20 kg bell
SLDL - 2, 3, 4, x3 with 8 kg bell

Observations: Feeling sore after yesterday's workout. This workout went fine. No issues. Being a little conservative with the SLDL since I don't trust my form enough. Forearms are feeling a bit sore since I hadn't done 1H swings with the 20 kg bell. The swings went fine. When this feels routine, then I will pile on the numbers. For now, 100 should suffice. Let us see.

August 20, 2020

Lower body day

Deadlift

Warmups

70 x5
75 x5
80 x5
85 x5
90 x5

Work Sets

95 x3
100 x3
105 x3
110 x3
115 x3
120 x3

Back off sets

15 reps anyhow with 95 kg

Accessory work

Bulgarian split squats 4 sets of 15 with bodyweight only

Observations: A really exhausting workout. I hadn't worked out in the gym in a long long while and had never done so many sets with the DL either. In hindsight, my warmup sets could have gone on further. At that time, I wasn't sure how high I would be able to go. With a lifetime "best" of 135 kilos, hitting 120 for a triple was a surprise. Maybe if the warmup sets were well planned out, I could have lifted more. But it was exhausting. I had planned to do snatch grip high pulls, hip thrusts and Bulgarian split squats as accessory work, but I just sat on the ground and mulled over the universe. I did do the Bulgarian split squats between sets of DLs. The rest I was simply unable to do. I should carry some glucose or something to the gym and before going, I should have some carbs - rice or bread. The Bulgarian split squats went fine. I think I will do 4 sets of 25 reps each. Started with bodyweight, will add weight after I hit rep targets. Will do just 2 accessory exercises each day. The back off sets already serve as a lift. And will drop rows from upper body day. The KB swings already build the back. Will drop the snatch grip high pulls as well. The lift or the way I do them didn't benefit me in the least. Let us see.

"I want to achieve basic strength standards (2BW DL, 1.5BW FS, 1.5BW BP) as fast as possible. " Not sure I understand the reason for as fast as possible. Welcome

August 23, 2020

KB workout

Swings – 10 x10 alternating 1H and 2H swings. Time taken ~10 minutes

KB presses – 2, 3, 5, x3

Both of these were with the 20 kg bell

SLDL – 2, 3, 5 x3 with the 8 kg bell

Observations: Okay workout except that the last deadlift workout took a heavy toll on me. It is true that the DL is recovery intrusive. I had to delay this workout by 2 days because I didn’t feel like doing well anything. Apart from that, good workout. No problems as such.

Wow, that is a lot of Deadlift volume!
How are you feeling today @Abraiz ?

Like a couple of road rollers had a dance party on my back. Seriously, it was that bad. The closest I have felt to this is when I would leave the Judo hall after a ground-fighting randori session. But that kind of involved the back globally. This was concentrated in certain areas of my back. I really should have taken 10 kg jumps between lifts for warmup. Increase the weight and decrease the reps and most probably I would have done fine.

"I want to achieve basic strength standards (2BW DL, 1.5BW FS, 1.5BW BP) as fast as possible. " Not sure I understand the reason for as fast as possible. Welcome

Because I feel that I have wasted a lot of time spinning my wheels. I should achieve my basic strength standards as soon as possible.

August 25, 2020

Upper Body Day

Bench Press

Warmups

20 kg x6
30 kg x6
40 kg x6
50 kg x6

Work Sets

55 kg x3
60 kg x3
65 kg x3

Back off sets

52.5 kg for 25 reps anyhow

Accessory work

Barbell curl with empty bar – 20-20-10
Pendlay row with 16 kg – 20-17-13
Incline bench – 15-10-15 with 16 kg

Observations: Good workout. Figured out the warmup bit. That saved a lot of time and effort. Last upper body workout I was tired because I did too many warmup sets. That made me think I should shorten my workout. However, with proper warmup, my workout is fine. Takes around 60-75 minutes max. The bench went fine. The 65 kg went up smoothly. No problems at all. Will shoot for 70 kg in the next workout. I figure these are beginner gains that I am getting now because I never trained in a manner that took advantage of them before. I either went for complicated plans of my own design or followed programs that were for intermediate lifters and thus held me back a bit. This progress is nice. The accessory work too went fine. Hit the rep target of 50 in 3 sets on barbell curl and Pendlay row. Will move up in weight on them. The incline bench is a different story however. The incline bench in my gym is weird. I cannot position my hands properly. Either I have to take too wide a grip and it hurts my shoulders – I tried it today and feel some discomfort in my shoulders. Or I have to take a really close grip which will not work my upper chest which is my target here. Dumbbell bench presses seem ideal here. However, my gym has dumbbells going up to only 25 kilos and I didn’t want to paint myself into a corner from the beginning. I guess I will have to start with dumbbell bench presses. Maybe do drop sets or something else when I can lift 25 kilos for reps easily. Or I have to start learning how to do dips. But again, I fear my shoulders will hold me back here. Let us see.

August 26, 2020

KB Day

KB swings 10 x 10 with 20 kg bell. Time taken ~10 minutes

KB presses – 2, 3, 5 x3 with 20 kg bell

KB SLDL – 2, 3, 5 x3 with 8 kg bell

Observations: Good workout. No problem. I am not sure how fast or how slow to progress the single leg deadlift. Need to find out. Let us see.

August 29, 2020

Lower body day

Deadlift

Warmups

70 kg x5
80 kg x4
90 kg x3
100 kg x2
110 kg x1

Work sets

120 kg x3
125 kg x3
130 kg x3

Back-off sets

15 reps anyhow with 105 kg

Accessory work

Overhead shrug – 2 sets of 20
Bulgarian split squat – 3 sets of 12 with 10 kg dumbbell
Lat pulldown – 25-15-10 – 3rd pin – don’t know what weight

Observations: Nice workout. The warmup went nice. No wasted reps/sets. A straight ramp to the work sets. Nice. I had thought that I should start with 115 and I would be able to hit 125 max, but I started with 120 since warmups were all 10 kg jumps. I ended up at 130 for a triple. The 130 set was a total grinder. I thought I had 1 more set, but if I had done it I would have collapsed most probably. I don’t know why I did the overhead shrug. I had earlier thought of using the snatch grip high pull as an accessory, but after this kind of DLing, it would be either counterproductive or worse injurious. I didn’t know what exercise to add. Just absent-mindedly I did the shrugs. Later on realized that with my small clavicles, shrugs are not the best option. It will make my shoulders look even smaller. Lat pulldowns are a far better option. So, it is decided that lat pulldowns will be an accessory. Also realized that the cable machine has an incline bench attachment that I can use on bench days. The split squat was a surprise. I thought I could use the 10 kg dumbbell easily. I was wrong. I had never done so many reps in this particular exercise. It was too damn difficult. The back was already fried with the deadlifts. I could manage 12 reps for only 3 sets. Collapsed to the floor after every set. Love this exercise.

September 2, 2020

Upper Body Day

Bench Press

Warmups

20 kg x5
25 kg x5
30 kg x5
45 kg x5
55 kg x5

Work sets

60 kg x 3
65 kg x3
70 kg x3

Back off sets

25 reps anyhow with 55 kg

Accessory work

Pendlay row with 20 kg 45 in 3 sets
Dumbbell bench press with 10 kg – 42 in 3 sets
Barbell curl with 25 kg – 39 in 3 sets

Observations: Nice workout. I feel like a beginner now the way I am progressing. If I were doing some intermediate level program, I would still have been playing with baby weights. Not that these aren’t baby weights, but these are higher than what I have lifted till now. I tried the cable incline bench. Didn’t work. Too uncomfortable. Even when I gripped the frame instead of the handles. Went back to dumbbell benches. If I exhaust all dumbbells, well, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, just train.

September 5, 2020

Lower Body Day

Deadlift

Warmups

70 kg x3
75 kg x5
85 kg x4
95 kg x3
105 kg x2
115 kg x1

Work Sets

125 kg x 3
135 kg – tried and failed
130 kg x3

Back off sets

105 kg for 15 reps anyhow

Accessory work

Lat pulldown – 4th pin – 50 in 3 sets

Bulgarian split squat – 12-12-12-10 with 10 kg dumbbell

Hammer cross body curl – 5 kg – 50 in 3 sets

Observations: Not a good workout at all. Based on previous week’s workout, I thought I’d be able to hit 140 or at least 135. I couldn’t even budge 135. I lifted 130 then. Rested and then again tried to lift 135 but failed. It didn’t occur to me to reduce that to 132.5 and see if I made the lift. I tried a couple of times and found reduced performance every next attempt. The recommendation is to move up 5 kg in DL/squats every week. Last week I moved up 10 kg. Got it, but I think I paid the price for it this week. Next cycle, I am going to move up 5 kg every week and see if I make my lifts every time. If I still stop at week 2’s numbers, then I need to change exercises every 2 weeks and not every 3 as I thought. Apart from this, the rest of the workout went fine. The cross-body curl is something new, which is why the low weight. I hope it works. Let us see.

September 7, 2020

Upper Body Day

Push Press

Warmups

20 kg x3
25 kg x3
30 kg x3
35 kg x3
40 kg x3

Work Sets

45 kg x3
50 kg x3
52.5 kg x3

Back off sets

45 kg for 24 reps anyhow

Accessory work

Pendlay row – 50 in 3 sets with 20 kg
Incline dumbbell bench press – 48 reps in 3 sets with 10 kg dumbbell
Barbell curl – 45 reps in 3 sets with 25 kg

Observations: Good workout. The push press went fine. Wobbled a bit in the back off sets, but the main work sets went fine. For some idiotic reason, I thought that 52.5 on the last set was 57.5. I calculated my back off sets on that basis and used 45 kg instead of 42.5. I used weight collars on the bar today and I got confused with them somehow. The accessory work went fine as well. Really smooth workout. I don’t know if that is a good thing or it means I am not pushing myself enough. I am going to buy Jim Wendler’s e-book on Max Effort Training and read through it. It feels like I am flying blind here. Need to change that. Next push press workout, I will use 5 reps instead of 3 in warmups. Let us see.

September 12, 2020

Lower Body Day

Front Squat

Warmups

20 kg x5 reps
30 kg x4 reps
40 kg x3 reps
50 kg x2 reps
60 kg x1 rep

Work Sets

70 kg x 3 reps
75 kg x 3 reps
80 kg x 3 reps

Back off sets

15 reps anyhow with 65 kg

Accessory work

Bulgarian split squat - 15-12-12 reps with 10 kg dumbbell
Lat pulldown – 50 in 3 sets with 25 kg.

Observations: Nice workout. The FS went fine. Had earlier thought of going up to 75 kg, but decided to take a 10 kg jump from the warmup. The rest of the workout went fine. The glitch is the Bulgarian split squat. The Westside for Skinny Bastards on which I base this program calls for 8-15 reps for 3 to 4 sets. I checked elsewhere for Bulgarian Split Squats programming as well, it calls for 6-20 reps for 3 to 5 sets for accessory work. This 15 reps for 4 sets is killing my back. I think I should do 5x8. That should be enough. Let us see.

It seems you're overdoing it. Less is more if getting stronger to reach your goals is still the goal? You're doing the volume of a higher level bodybuilder, who's more than likely on PED's.

It seems you're overdoing it. Less is more if getting stronger to reach your goals is still the goal? You're doing the volume of a higher level bodybuilder, who's more than likely on PED's.

I guess I am overdoing the volume. Will need to dial it back down. Thanks for the heads up.

September 15, 2020

Upper Body Day

Push Press

Warmups

30 kg x 3 reps
35 kg x 3 reps
40 kg x 3 reps
45 kg x 3 reps
50 kg x 2 reps

Work Sets

55 kg x 3 reps
57.5 kg x 3 reps
60 kg x 3 reps

Back-off sets

24 reps anyhow with 47.5 kg

Accessory work

Pendlay row with 25 kg - 50 in 3 sets
Dumbbell incline press with 10 kg – 50 reps in 3 sets
Barbell curl with 25 kg – 17-15-14 – 46 reps in 3 sets

Observations: Nice workout. Last week I was being too cautious. Probably the missed set with the deadlift in the previous week had colored my outlook. For some reason, I stopped myself at 52.5 kg last week. This week, I wasn’t feeling that apprehensive and went for it within reason. Thus, I hit 60 kg for a triple. Next week, I will be content if I hit 62.5 for a triple. The Pendlay row surprised me. I realized that the weight plates that I was taking for 2.5 kg were actually 5 kg plates. This means from 16 kg, I jumped directly to 25 kg and thought it was 20 kg. I was fairly sure that this was the case. However, I thought let me try with 25 kg. Even if it was as I thought, it would be only 1 workout repeated. Well, it was a repeated workout. I hit 50 reps in 3 sets with no strain at all. The rest of the workout went fine. The barbell curl is progressing slowly, which is expected. No problem with that.

September 18, 2020

Lower Body Day

Front Squat

Warmups

25 kg x 5
35 kg x 4
45 kg x3
55 kg x2
65kg x1

Work Sets

75 kg x 3
80 kg x 3
85 kg x 3

Back-off Sets

67.5 kg for 15 reps anyhow

Accessory work

Bulgarian Split Squat - 3x8 with 10 kg
Lat pulldown - 42 in 3 sets with 30 kg

Observations: Nice workout. Was feeling a little apprehensive, but it went fine. Have finally nailed the Bulgarian Split Squat sets and reps. Three sets of 8 reps is fine. Doesn't make me feel that I have done too little and is not too much either. Right in the sweet spot. Tried the Russian Full Contact Twist and the kneeling cable crunch. Need to check them out further, before I include them. Looking forward to next week's workout where in sha Allah, I will front squat my bodyweight for a triple. Let us see.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom