all posts post new thread

Kettlebell accessory work?!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

elli

Level 10 Valued Member
Inspired by another thread (a poetic one with "curls for girls"): Do you do any extra work for certain muscles or is it just e.g. swings and TGU?
I like doing some sets of lunges after the tgu and yes, I sometimes do curls.
Any specific exercises for other sports?
Only the Big 5?
Vanity or functional?
Curious :)

I follow a program by Dan John with emphasis on swing, goblets and getups every session sprinkled with some 1-2-3 and 2-3-5 presses. On weekends I usually do a challenge. Recently lunges with the bulldog 1+1, 2+2 ... 10+10. The week before was a deadlift and farmer walk challenge with 10 deadlifts with the left followed by 10m farmer walks, brief rest and repeat on the right. 10 rounds. 200 deadlifts and 100m farmer walks. Usually top this off with 5x10 of chins and dips superseted.

I occasionally do tricep extensions with a towel. Run towel through handle, swing around behind shoulderblades, extend straight up and out, trying to get the towel as straight across as possible. Back in my bodybuilding days my tris were huge, I like to pump em up a bit every now and again.

No curls, but I have a single arm variant of the fly I sometimes throw in.

I also do glute bridges every workout to keep the maximus fired up, as I find most of my squat and lunge hits the medius a lot more than the max.

Crunch and leg lift variations for my active recovery between sets and exercises.

Inspired by another thread (a poetic one with "curls for girls"): Do you do any extra work for certain muscles or is it just e.g. swings and TGU?
I like doing some sets of lunges after the tgu and yes, I sometimes do curls.
Any specific exercises for other sports?
Only the Big 5?
Vanity or functional?
Curious :)
@elli ... I think that you will find that many of the S&S practitioners here do 'accessory' work of some sort or another

Some might call it accessory or extra work but I like to think of S&S as having 7 pieces (3 warm-up, 2 main, 2 cool-down) not just swings and get-ups. Every time I do S&S I find numerous small variations in the 7 pieces.

I do OS resets on warm ups and try to do some throughout the day when possible.

I also throw around some "heavy" goblet squats, loaded carries, HLR and handstand practice (trying to go from wall supported to unsupported). I consider those "spices" rather than accessory (learned the concept from @Brett Jones's article).

I consider all the spices functional. When I get a solid free handstand I will admit to some vanity there ;)

When I followed Westside-barbell for two and a half years I did allot of accessory work, mostly hip hinge stuff (hyper extensions, good morning, GHR, SLDL, etc.), some Bulgarian split-squats and rows.

I have to say that I'm a "closet curler". I recovered from that and did only functional big lifts for many years. But since I'm rehabbing my knee, some of my old habits are coming back. I did some curls and tricep extensions with a suspension trainer. Boy my arms were sore day after.

Last edited:
The last time my training was primarily S&S I also did:

Quadrupedal crawling
Mace/Steel Club swinging
Pull Ups

I do all my "gap fillers" together as a warmup in order to save time. Right now my program is presses, snatches, and loaded carries. Therefore I'm not training the squat pattern, a bent arm pull (you could argue the snatch is one, but it leaves a little to be desired in my opinion), the calves, or the anterior waist (abs) directly. Therefore, my warmup is comprised of goblet squats with curls at the bottom, calf raises, dead bugs, and single leg deadlifts because SLDLs just get everything turned on.

Interesting guys, thanks for the input.
@offwidth: Yep, you are right - oviously.
I think, I expected more "swings and tgu only" replies. Do not ask why...☺

At least 8-12 (and sometimes 24) hours from S&S sessions I like to do a brief pressing program I made up. I will clean and press my 32kg kettlebell 5 times, alternating arms each side and breaking after each pair (Right side - leftside - break). The break can be anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute or so (I will go walk around, stir dinner). I do that 5 times and then I repeat but with 60 pounds (a CAP 60, not a true 28).

I like the bent press. I like how it feels. I feel good when I do it. So I will just do them periodically sometimes. The same goes for a snatch session. I will do 100 in 5 minutes with a 16kg.

I also like the Captains of Crush Grippers. I have a Trainer, a 1, and a 1.5. I never do more than 5 reps per set. For S&S I felt like the grip in my left hand was weak and these have helped a lot.

Hello,

I do a lot of mobility training (animal walks, hip mobility...).

I also work my cardio (mostly with HIIT and hiking / swimming) and do ab breathing. This is usefull for a diver.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Everything I do training wise consumes time and carries the potential for injury (small possibility of injury, yes....but still a possibility). Given that, my accessory work HAS to have a valid purpose....either to bring up a specific weakness in a "core" lift (such as Deadlifting from a deficit), or to make my program more well rounded (Presses).

I have done some GTG style work for calves, just to accustom my feet to Vibram's.

@pet' I prefer the two hand plate pinch with a loading pin. I you want a barbell pinch deadlift try the Reeves Deadlift. I use 45lb rubber bumper plates that are 3"" thick.

Bang for your buck mobility-/stability-strength exercises:
- Macebell Swings
- Carries
- Crawling
- Rocking
- Armbars
- SLDL (after the recent threads about them)

Also whenever I'm at my parents house nowadays I'll use my old pegboard. Just freestyling for a couple of minutes. Super fun and nothing made my biceps grow like that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom