all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Aches & pain...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

E.2020

Level 1 Valued Member
Been following S&S 1.0 for 10 weeks now.
Started with the 16 kg. KB for Swings & TGU's.
Worked my way up to the 24kg. KB after 6 weeks.
This last week completed several workouts with the 32kg. KB.
Without a doubt I'm much stronger and better shape, but at the cost of aches and pain???

I'm struggling with hurting knees, lower back and hurting right hip socket. Any rate, my hip socket has been giving me the most trouble. It hurts and sometimes locks up when I'm walking or after going up stairs. Not sure what to make of it. Could it be tightness or back problems? Tried the recommended stretches in the S&S book, but it seems to have made my problems worse.

Any thoughts or recommendations ?

Thanks. E.

Any thoughts or recommendations ?

Welcome @E.2020

My thoughts would be either 1) your execution of the programming, or 2) your technique. Knees, back, and hips hurting is not typical for this program. Hip locking up is something you probably want to see your doctor about.

Have you looked to see if there's an SFG instructor near you that you can work with? A few sessions will make a huge difference. Or upload a video and link it here so we can give you some feedback. Also maybe you could describe more about yourself, your training history, and how you are doing the program.

To add to what Anna posted—Your training should not have this sort of "cost."
Take a few days off and try to get checked by a healthcare provider.
Once cleared and beginning to return to activity you should work with an StrongFirst Certified Instructor to get your movement and technique dialed in.

Rest up
Heal up
Keep us posted

Welcome @E.2020

My thoughts would be either 1) your execution of the programming, or 2) your technique. Knees, back, and hips hurting is not typical for this program. Hip locking up is something you probably want to see your doctor about.

Have you looked to see if there's an SFG instructor near you that you can work with? A few sessions will make a huge difference. Or upload a video and link it here so we can give you some feedback. Also maybe you could describe more about yourself, your training history, and how you are doing the program.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. As for my background and training history, I'm in my mid 50's now and I once competed and trained in Olympic Style Weightlifting and was a USAW certified club coach ,but that was several decades ago. As for kettlebell training, I tinkered with it since the early 2000's via DD's Russian Kettlebell Challenge. And it's been off and on since. I never attended a KB class or sought private instruction from a qualified instructor. I've always been a DIY kind of guy. Fast forward, I'm serious in approach with the S&S 1.0 program. I keep a detailed journal of my workouts. Just bought the S&S 2.0 book. Plan to read it and re-evaluate the old protocol S&S 1.0. I should mention that I've been working out 5-6 days per week since I started 10 weeks ago. Some days I feel as though I didn't fully recover from the previous day workout. Usually happens when I deploy the 32KG KB for 2H OR 1H swings plus get ups. Perhaps, I will just train with 16kg KB and continue to focus on the hip hinge and TGU form.

E

To add to what Anna posted—Your training should not have this sort of "cost."
Take a few days off and try to get checked by a healthcare provider.
Once cleared and beginning to return to activity you should work with an StrongFirst Certified Instructor to get your movement and technique dialed in.

Rest up
Heal up
Keep us posted
Thanks for the reply and advice. Will do.
E

Welcome @E.2020

Thanks again. I will be contacting a local SFG instructor today.
E

@E.2020 - My hops and knees are garbage so if I am feeling broken and cracking like crazy I’ll do bottom half get ups to a high sitting position with a floor press or two at the beginning of the lift. It has worked well for me. A complete get up is always best but you do have options.

10 weeks from 16 to 32 is quite fast. Take your time and evaluate how you feel daily post workout.

I think you're right. In retrospect, it would have been better to adhered to the 16kg. kb and continued on with adaption and technique refinement.

E

I think you're right. In retrospect, it would have been better to adhered to the 16kg. kb and continued on with adaption and technique refinement.

E

Not necessarily... if you're stronger than the 16kg, the light weight won't teach movement lessons as well as the 24kg or whatever is your goldilocks bell for the swing and/or get-up. And the 16kg won't effectively cause a strength adaptation for most men.

Probably just need a rest day a little more frequently. But, good to know you'll visit an SFG to dial in your technique.

Update: Monday - 11-25-19
Feeling much better after 2 days rest.
Going to workout with the lighter KB for now in order to avoid setback.
I'm currently reading S&S 2.0., plus taking note of the revisions made and making necessary adjustments.
Thanks to everyone who responded.

E

That's why filming your sessions is also something you should do.. It allows you to get feedback from other wise folks to help you improve technique.

Of course, hands-on coaching will always be the best way to learn

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom