all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Activated Charcoal Chalk

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I ordered some earlier too, and it's already been shipped!

Nice find, @kbqueen13

I ordered some this morning and already received shipping confirmation for it to be delivered on Wednesday.

I received mine last week and I'm pretty impressed with it! Haven't put it to a strenuous test yet but did use it for some kettlebell snatches and it seems to work as well or better than loose chalk. Much neater, too, and convenient for transport.

I just received mine today, but have not tried it yet, hopefully tomorrow. I will try to post back with my thoughts.

Update:

Initial thoughts, interesting and cool, but far from no-mess. Maybe I need to adjust my applying technique, but I ended up with some clumps that would fall off into my mat and the floor surrounding me. I think I may have applied too generously leading to the clumping, so I'm gonna try with a lighter layer and see if that fixes the issue.

Really cool though, if I can get it to apply evenly and not too heavily, I think it's pretty neat.

This will definitely be kinder to my black shorts but less kind to my white tee shirts, hahaha. i just got mine on order today.

I just tried this out today. I'm working inside with a fan so I'm not sweating that much. The application is about a neat and tidy as liquid chalk. I personally like the alcohol based chalks, but Char makes a big deal that theirs is not alcohol based. I used the gray type today, I purchased both gray and black. Once it was applied it takes a minute or two to dry and lightens up in color as it drys. After that I think it stayed on my hands better than liquid chalk. I have a black gym floor and as I grind my hands on the kettle bell hands I can see liquid chalk becoming airborne. I notice less with this chalk. Grip wise I think they are the same. It provided that extra bit of traction on the steel handle to keep me in touch with the bell.

The only negative I see it it's not as easy to apply to the bell's handle as liquid chalk. It comes as more or less a solid so you can just squirt it on your hands and then rub it on the handle. I'll have to experiment a bit with that.

I think when the gyms open back up I'll still used powder chalk for dead lifting, I think it's part of the getting ready process, haha. But for work where I can't make a bit of a mess this is a good option. At the very least it shows less against black, hahaha.

I think when the gyms open back up I'll still used powder chalk for dead lifting,

Yeah I haven't tried it with my barbell... Not sure it wouldn't clog up the knurling and be hard to brush out.

An add on to my review. The char takes longer to dry on your hands than liquid chalk, so I think it may be water based. it would be interesting to find out what is the moisture they put in it. While it takes longer to dry, it is thicker than liquid chalk. Sometimes I think liquid chalk is too thin a coating and makes things slicker. This stuff is grittier and definitely helps my grip more than LC.

I'll give it a thumbs up. Very little mess. Definitely helped hold onto my slick-handled bells in heat and humidity when grip is especially challenged. I normally don't use chalk at all, so not the most informed endorsement...

Second review:

I think either my application technique got better, or maybe the top of the tube was a little drier, but it's working a lot better now! Really like this stuff, highly recommended. Much less mess now than my first time using it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom