all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Activation drills

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

D-Rock

Level 5 Valued Member
When doing therapy/mobility/biomechanic type work I actually like to go into a decent burn. Not failure, just a some burn. When trying to wake up a sleepy muscle not doing its job, this helps me to feel the muscle working and build that mind muscle connection. Then if I integrate it into a complex movement, I can feel how it functions as a part of the whole.

Hello,

When doing therapy/mobility/biomechanic type work I actually like to go into a decent burn
When you work on mobility, "unfortunately", we are more or less obliged to go into a slight burn. Plus, we have to do it almost daily. However, I have always find flexibility training quite "difficult" to a certain extent. Indeed, if you go too far, you risk a ligament break...

From my experience, for reaching the split (for instance): I started training it so much time ago. At the beginning my butt was about 40 cm from the ground and I felt the burn. I maintained this height 15-20s, for 2 or 3 sets in function of the time. Then, when comfortable, I get down to 35, and so on. Today, I am at about 5cm from the ground.

Joints are like elastic bands anyway.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm inclined to agree @D-Rock. Sometimes those "activation" or "isolation" definitely act as a great precursor to more cohesive movement patterns. Totally agree with your description.

@pet' this is the premise of some of the techniques in relax into stretch, am I right? Fatiguing the muscle so that it lets go and give some more flexibility. This can actually be some pretty grueling work!

Care to share a few examples?

Sure! Two I've done recently. First, my left oblique has not been doing it's share of the work. So I play around until I can get it to flex, and I work it until there is a good burn (not totally fatigued though). Then immediately I will move into OS rocking or something. I can feel and explore how the muscle plays a part in the bigger movement, and build the mind muscle connection. Second, I can flex my right glute great, but can barely do anything with my left. So I do some glute activation drills until I really get it going and can feel it. Then I will walk so I can feel how it plays a part in gait. Hope that helps!

@wespom9 Exactly! The body is a whole. But the body is made of parts. Parts make a whole =)

Hello,

@D-Rock
The body is a whole. But the body is made of parts. Parts make a whole =)
Excellent way of thinking !

Did you consider some yoga moves ? Somes moves have a focus on a body part, but they globally have a lot of carryover between them. Maybe it could interest you.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom