all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Active Hangs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Hello everyone.

During ring training the concept of "active hangs" keeps coming up and I would like to know more about the benefits of performing them.

For instance, a rings routine prescribes 3x8 active hangs as a progression for the front lever.

I was surprised at how hard they to perform for reps, even though I do achieve an active hang before most pull ups.

There are many different ways how to incorporate hanging exercises and their progressions. Here is a short list from one of my upcoming project:

- passive hang
- active hang
- spinal decompression with contrast breathing
- leg and torso movement
- (partial) active hollow hang
- arching active hang
- side to side swing with (partial) hand release
- back and forth swing
- one arm passive and active hang
- inverted tuck
- inverted hang (straight body inverted pike)
- German hang
- Skin the Cat

Quote from the upcoming manual:

[NAME WILL BE REVEALED LATER] Hanging Series is a straight arm hanging counterpart of a straight arm supporting Get-Up Series.

The benefits are many: spinal decompression, stretching out the lats, opening the shoulders, improving and strengthening the overhead position, improving the grip strength and grip endurance, etc.

In the Hanging Series we will focus on various types of hangs: passive, active and dynamic, bilateral and unilateral (i.e. two-arms, single arm), shoulder flexion and extension.
Stay tuned - more info very soon!

Hello,

Active hangs permits to engage shoulders, traps and scapula. They also protect the neck

Kind regards,

Pet'

Here is a short list from one of my upcoming project...Quote from the upcoming manual...

From October 6th of your training log...

"Hanging Series” chapter of the manual for the [TOP SECRET PROJECT] finished!"

I've been looking forward to this for some time, I can't wait to buy my copy.

@Jak Nieuwenhuis Hangs are excellent! Active, passive, one arm, two arm...great as an elbow prehab, great for shoulder stability (active hangs), great for spinal decompression and great for grip strength. Best of all: you can always add them to any program either at the beginning or as cool down. 1-3 sets is all you need.

Hello everyone.

During ring training the concept of "active hangs" keeps coming up and I would like to know more about the benefits of performing them.

For instance, a rings routine prescribes 3x8 active hangs as a progression for the front lever.

I was surprised at how hard they to perform for reps, even though I do achieve an active hang before most pull ups.

They build pretty strong traps, especially if you build up to the one-arm versions.

Also you would be amazed at how much mobility they build. I could barely get ROM out of reverse shrugs hanging (what GMB calls the "Pulling prep") at first but nowadays can get quite a few inches up and down. Every friend I've asked to try also has no idea how to engage the right muscles. And even when they do, they barely get ROM out of it.

So it's pretty neat how much mobility the build. Either for reps or time.

Other than that, there's not that many great things out of hanging. You'll get most of those benefits once you move up in prograssions (Pull-ups and FLs).

They build pretty strong traps, especially if you build up to the one-arm versions.

Also you would be amazed at how much mobility they build. I could barely get ROM out of reverse shrugs hanging (what GMB calls the "Pulling prep") at first but nowadays can get quite a few inches up and down. Every friend I've asked to try also has no idea how to engage the right muscles. And even when they do, they barely get ROM out of it.

So it's pretty neat how much mobility the build. Either for reps or time.

Other than that, there's not that many great things out of hanging. You'll get most of those benefits once you move up in prograssions (Pull-ups and FLs).

This was my experience. I could not get much ROM out of the exercise and honestly just don't know how to do it correctly. Seems crucial to all lever work though

And one of those exercises that could save your life one day
I'm always the guy who goes "oh that's total BS!" when in a movie someone (not even the hero, but relatively average people) somehow find themselves in the situation of a one-arm hang on the edge of something and to top it of hold another human with their other hand... :D
95% of the worlds population don't even have the needed strength to just hold themselves with just one hand let alone their own body + another human being.

I'm always the guy who goes "oh that's total BS!" when in a movie someone (not even the hero, but relatively average people) somehow find themselves in the situation of a one-arm hang on the edge of something and to top it of hold another human with their other hand... :D
95% of the worlds population don't even have the needed strength to just hold themselves with just one hand let alone their own body + another human being.
So true!
So learn your lesson folks and do some (one arm)hangs!

Oh yeah!
With my wife, we often make fun of this. :)
Has so few people tried a one hand hang, that they think it is that easy?

I used to have a rope hanging from a tree in the back yard and I remember watching family members trying to swing from it. Many of them could barely hang on with two hands, and they didn't have the core strength to swing without dragging their feet.

I saw one of those scenes the other night on a re-reun of Harry Potter my boy was watching. It's seems Harry is a wizard when it comes to one arm hangs and his mate Ron is no slouch either.The BS kicks in at about 1:10

Yup I noticed the same when I was a kid, the first image that comes to mind is Tarzan holding Jane with one arm and hanging with the other. I though "this guy is strong as f$ck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom