all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Active negative - antagonists vs synergists

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
But from experience we will use too much tension for all new skills.
Respectfully disagree - some skills, especially strength skills, reward using as much tension as possible.

-S-

I should have been more clear, I meant antagonist motor units. When doing ATG squats I do need to "pull" into the bottom, but I doubt there is much flexor activation to make it happen.
This is the beauty of the way things are taught at StrongFirst, IMHO. Whatever amount of "flexor activation" happens when I pull myself into the hole for a squat isn't something I think about - the visualization of pulling one's self into the hole makes the appropriate amount happen.

With something like a 1A OHP, activation of the lats is only to keep the load in the desired path, even tho it feels like pulling down.
There are two parts to lat activation in the one-armed overhead press. The first is on the way up, and then the active negative on the way down.

-S-

Respectfully disagree - some skills, especially strength skills, reward using as much tension as possible.

-S-
Well, I should have been more clear: I was referring to too much tension in the "brakes" or completely unrelated parts. Like tense breathing and a tensed neck while learning to play the piano.

Irradiation, on the other hand, improves lifts.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom